· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / The Challenge....
polson
# Posted: 25 Apr 2006 19:41

Well...I know when my cries are falling on rocky ground.

Instead I issue out a challenge to all who have promotion recommendation access.  If you want the people you're recommending to know what you think of their character and hard work, shoot them an email citing your recommendation reasons.  Even if they aren't promoted at the end of the month (or middle of the next month as it usually turns out to be) they'll know that someone has noticed what they do.  A little bit of time taken on the part of us "underlings" might be an easier task to take on than a huge amount of time for the "overlords".  Personally, I think it's time well spent to let someone know you've noticed their quality.  I intend to take my own challenge, I hope someone else here does too.

fat_man
# Posted: 26 Apr 2006 01:28

i'm not the only one not understanding what she said am I?

Pols too many big words. I'm scottish not intellegent.

yours,

Man, Fat

polson
# Posted: 26 Apr 2006 09:09

Ugh. You make promotion recommendation. Ugh. Every Month. Ugh. Tell people that you recommended them and why. Ugh. Challenge. Me. You. Ugh.

Better?

teekay
# Posted: 26 Apr 2006 09:28

*gives some crayons to Pols and points her at a handy wall* I think  they need pictures...

:k

fat_man
# Posted: 27 Apr 2006 02:39

pictures would be good  :)

camila
# Posted: 27 Apr 2006 05:59

hahaha

rpmobsession
# Posted: 29 Apr 2006 20:33

I do have one thing to say about this. I recently had this done to me. For months, I had various people E-mail me, IM me, or even call me and tell me how deserving of a promotion I was. At the time the first couple said it, I brushed them off. I had not even been thinking about a promotion to CL5, and I, honestly, thought that I needed to do more than I was. Well, in the next couple months, more and more people continued to tell me how deserving I was and how they had been "putting my name around". E-mailing their SMs and so on and so forth. And, this went on for about 5 months before I finally believed them. So, ok, I believed them and it made me feel good that people were recognizing what I was doing. It was good for a whole month. And, then I continued to not be promoted. Not only did the still constant remarks and praises of my work piss me off, it made me feel apathetic to my work. I figured, "Ok, I'm doing these great things, yet I'm still not promoted. I don't understand why I'm doing them then." So, I stopped doing a lot of things. And, then the next month, I decided I was going to above and beyond and get my dang promotion. And, did I get promoted? No. Although, I did get Junior Officer of the Month. So, ok, I was appeased. And, then people started AGAIN telling me how much I deserved a promotion, and how I'll be getting one "any month now". And, yet it was FOUR more months before I finally got the promotion. And, funny enough, I got in a month when I did absolutely nothing at all.

Now, I'm not saying I'm not grateful for my promotion. I'm very grateful. I just happen to think it was waaaay overdue. And, while in essence it's a lovely idea, in my case anyways, it was not a good thing. It made me mad. I couldn't fathom how many people constantly kept telling me how great I've been doing, and yet, I still couldn't get a promotion. That it took NINE MONTHS of people telling me I should promoted, that I deserve it, that I work hard and am delligent, and I deserved CL5 ten times over, to finally get that promotion. It made me seriously question why I was even in my department. And, in fact, I was 3 days out from writing a nasty, nasty letter to my SM and the tribune for an editorial about how mad I was that many people (I'm talking like 15.) told me over and over and over and over that I deserved one, and yet I could not achieve one. So, while it's a nice thing to get once in a while, when you are doing months and months at a time and still nothing is coming of it. It just becomes frustrating and annoying to be told that. *shrugs*

RPMO

polson
# Posted: 29 Apr 2006 21:38

Well, I certainly understand that perspective and I can see where you're coming from on that.  I get annoyed if people encourage me when I'm hiking or playing sports.  Everyone is different, everyone responds and reacts in different manners.  If I have to recommend the same person longer than three times before anything happens, I'd probably put in a query.  And they DO say if you feel you were passed up to email CT or whoever it is these days - and I know that seems like the whiners way out because that's such a lamer thing to do, but I'm certain a legit concern would be taken as such.

Honestly, I'd rather be told a thousand times what someone thought of me than be promoted a thousand times, even if it meant never being promoted.  Although, I'm sure sometime around the 400th time or so it would become easy to take it for granted in either case.

But I see your side of it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.023
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0