· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / rants and suggestion for innaccuracy + port limit
wallbangicus
# Posted: 27 Apr 2006 17:22

Hey,
      I don't know PHP, but I do know C/C++ and TI-Basic, and a problem that often occurs ob a calculator is the it rounds and only show 8 digits. In my basic programs i've found that seperatig the huge numbers into seperate varibles like the old school video game consoles can almost entirely eliminate all inaccuracies. What I mean by this is if you have 9 quad, you would store it as 90000000   and 00000000. if you wanted to apply the interst on a planet for example, you'ld do two seperate equations instead of one. everytime you display the number, you just add the two halfs together. Whenever you have a decimal for the first varible, your truncate everything above zero, turn all the decimal data at the length of the second varible into a whole number, and add it to the second before you do the next operation on it. As I said, I'm not familiar enough with PHP to express it in more specific terms, but just ask if you have any other questions.

Now fo the ranting... I'll start with the admins first. I know you guys need your personal time and such, but PHP is NOT the language to be using for a game with numbers this large and equations of this type. It just wasn't designed for it. You'ld almost have to go with CGI or Java. In short, the code needs an entire revamp. Now, fellow players, if someone already made the admins aware of a problem, don't repeat it OVER and OVER! Have an original thought for christs sake! If you do have a problem and its already been brought to the admins attention, don't even bring it up unless you have an idea of how to fix it. The admins don't need to be wasting time reading your monotonous complaining while they could be working on the problems your repeating!

People that can program can ussually understand how code in other languages works (like myself) but can't program in it. People that can't program at all need the programers to do everything. I hope the limit for digits at special ports isn't intentional, because I made a temperary fix for buying fighters, torps, mines, and mine deflectors. You can use it until the admins fix the problem, or tell me to get rid of it because it intentional. The page is at http://www.geocities.com/wallbangicus
admins, ##### at me, but don't ban me if im doing something wrong here. I'm just trying to help.

Peace,
                                                                Wallbangicus

david1
# Posted: 28 Apr 2006 09:35

I know what you mean about the credits things, thats what i did in my bnt toolkit to remove innaccuracies, and super massive numbers).<br><br><!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin--> Now fo the ranting... I'll start with the admins first. I know you guys need your personal time and such, but PHP is NOT the language to be using for a game with numbers this large and equations of this type. It just wasn't designed for it. You'ld almost have to go with CGI or Java. In short, the code needs an entire revamp. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br><br>OTF did NOT build the origional BNT game, it was made on another site in anothr Realm. OTF just uses it and edits it.<br><br><!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->I hope the limit for digits at special ports isn't intentional,<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> <br><br>Firefox seems to create a limit of 8 chars for some boxes in the game which havent been programmed right, using another browser usually sorts it.<br>Unless your meaning somthing else? you where vague.<br><br>thats an external script isnt it?<br><br><b>XZ</b>

wallbangicus
# Posted: 28 Apr 2006 10:13

I ws thinking there may have been a limit put in place for how many digits you can put in place. yea, its an edited script with all my personal information takeb out. well, technically its not a script but and html page created by a PHP script. Its not malicioua and doesn't do anything your no supposed to be able to do. it just lets you buy more than 9 billion fighters, torpedos, and mine deflectors at a time.
                                                          Peace

methos
# Posted: 30 Apr 2006 10:36

Yes I COULD edit the DB script to allow more than the current max but that is more trouble than it's worth since this game is coming to an end next weekend.  This round I was just trying out new interest rates etc to see what I may or may not put in for a more final version later on.  The higher interest rates will fall back to more normal settings in the next round.  I have tried to say a few times that this game was more or less testing a couple of new ideas.  Some worked some didn't.  That's the way a lot of things are.  

Kyp

wallbangicus
# Posted: 30 Apr 2006 21:35

Ok, that sounds fine I guess. The link is temporarily broken because yahoo is all messed up at the moment. If you use mozilla and really need it, either send me a message asking for the edited file or use internet explorer. Do you think I should submit the suggestion to the BNT programmers instead? oh, and the high interest rates are sweet, but I think the bank rates should be on the planets and vise-versa.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.022
Online now: Guests - 6
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0