· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Me + USA
secretly
# Posted: 8 May 2006 10:45

Hey!

This is too all the Americans out there, as well as anyone else who may be able to help:

I'm looking to study in the USA when I leave school but I have NO idea where to start *L* As many of you know I'm currently living in the UK and so moving to America would be a big jump and I need some help figuring out the system *L*  Yes, I know, many of you will be thinking I'm too young to be thinking about university, but if it's half as expensive as I've heard then I need to start saving veeeery soon! =(

Any information on how to start out here would be appreciated, as well as any advice on getting scholarships and all that.  So:
~ How easy is it to actually move from the UK to the USA? Like... will it take months and months to drag all my junk over there? *L*
~ How can one apply for scholarships, if they are available?
~ Did you go to a university that you LOVED and would recommend? I'm hoping to study English so if you have anything that would be particularly appropriate, let me know!
~ Any other information that you feel might help is greatly appreciated ;)

Thanks muchly!

CL6 Estella

polson
# Posted: 8 May 2006 15:22

I dunno about the states, or universities, but at the college I went to you could sign up for burseries and scholarships and other academic aid during certain times of the year.  But there was no garuntee you'd ever get anything or that you'd get it for THAT year.  My guess is each place does it differently. It all depends on what uni you go to.

camila
# Posted: 8 May 2006 16:55

I went to Virginia Tech (www.vt.edu/) for undergrad and majored in Biochemistry, Chemistry, and Biology and now I'm at Penn State med school (www.hmc.psu.edu/md).  I LOVED VT, but it's an engineering/computer science/sciences school, not an English school.  I have a friend who was an English at Tech and is now going to law school... He might be able to give you good tips on that one.  If you send me an email at camibal@gmail.com I will send it to him.

I would start with websites... They should have everything you need to know about the school.  I guess you have to ask yourself many questions...

1. What do you want to do with your major?  If you want to go to law school, any school will do really... As long as you do really well in it.  If you're not going to grad school, then you want a school that will stand out on your resume.  

2.  Do you want to have fun in college or be a nerd?  Personally, I'm all for having fun, cuz college was the coolest time of my life, and I think everyone should have that kind of experience.  :-P  But, if you're really into studying, you may want to try an ivy league if you've got the grades.  I'm not saying that you can't be a nerd in a non-ivy league school... Tech had the "Honors Community" filled with nerds.  :P  

3.  Do you want to be close to a city or in a rural area?  Does the school's look matter to you?  (some schools are ugly... drexel... and some school are beautiful... VT ;))

4.  Do you care about football and sports?

5.  How limited if your budget?  Check the school's out of state tuition.  If you lived in the US, I would recommend you work in the state you want to study at for a year... If you do that, the school will give you in-state tuition.  For Tech, that was $2000 a year... And I really appreciate getting out of college without debt, considering med school is going to cost me $200,000. :P

6.  Would you rather goto a large school or a small school?  I prefer large ones, cuz you have more options in extracurricular acitivities, resources, and you'll definitely find people who matchs you well.

7.  Do you want to live in a hot or cold state, in the mountains, by the beach, by a capital so you can get involved with politics... etc?

Scholarships are easy to get if you've got the grades and are willing the write essays.  There are a million of them.  I was an international student in undergrad (not allowed to get the citizenship-only scholarships) and I got... hmm... I wanna say $10,000.  You just have to be willing to find them and apply.  Financial aid is out of the question for ya... loans and free money are only given to citizens and green-card holders, unless you want to go for high-interest private loans.

As far as applications go... It depends on the school.  Normally, you'll need to fill a form, pay a fee, write an essay, send your transcript, and take the SATs.  I would recommend studying from them... my grades went up 300 when I just took a few days to memorize words and practice the math.

Oh, and as far as bringing all your stuff... I would only bring your clothes and such... And buy furniture here.  College furniture is cheap and it'll get destroyed anyways. ;)

eagle
# Posted: 14 May 2006 01:01

Oh! Oh! I have couches! *g*

rpmobsession
# Posted: 14 May 2006 12:59

Oooh! *sings the song* College411.org *l* A good place to at least know where to begin is www.college411.org It's aimed more towards American students, but hey, I bet it will help immensely. If you go to the college search, there's different cool things there. And, even a search for colleges depending on certain types of criteria (location, size, tutition, major, financial aid, etc.) I have another really AWESOME website, but it involves a username and password in order to get in the first time...*l* And, it's run by Georgia Board of Education (which is a state and not a national thing), but you can look as far as national goes, which I am. It's really cool. It compares each school on certain terms (tuition, percentage of females and males, racial break downs, housing, average SAT/ACT scores...so on and so forth) which is actually sometimes better than the school's website, because the website is strictly to promote the school itself, so things that aren't so hot about it, may be a lot more difficult to find than that site. It also has cool career diagnostic tests, in case you still aren't sure what you want to be. *l* It's a pretty neat site, but again, it involves a username and password, so if you want that one, too, you can email me ( RPMObsession@yahoo.com ) Hope this helps!!

RPMO

leia1
# Posted: 14 May 2006 13:14

TSU TSU TSU TSU!!!.....Tarleton State University is the greatest school around!  :D  well...we love it anyways....it's a great school, a mini Texas A&M if you know what school that is....cheaper but still as great as A&M....if you want more info just e-mail me missypaige_05@hotmail.com

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.023
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0