· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / HTML help
camila
# Posted: 17 May 2006 13:46

Anyone knows how to call .wmv, .wma, and .mov files in HTML?  Is there a way to make it play if someone clicks on it?  Or the code to open on a new window and play it?

Also, how can I switch from .mov to .wmv files?

I could search for this but I figured one of you techie gurus would know it.  ;)

If you could email me (camibal@gmail.com) the code or post it here, that would be awesome.

iain
# Posted: 17 May 2006 16:29

The tag that you're interest in is the "<embed>" tag - which has various options, for most of what you've described... in its simplest form, <embed src=http://your.url.com/file.mov> should do the trick, but there are various ways of making it autostart, or whatever - which you can find if you Google...

For "opening in a new window and playing", you have two options:
(1) A link, which will open in a new window and open (say) Media Player as a standalone player, or some plugin, depending on the person's browser.

(2) Using some Javascript to add an javascript:open.window thingy, with a new HTML page, containing the embed, if you want it to always be embedded in a page which you control.

And finally, .mov to .wmv is non-trivial, but some freeware software to do it is bound to exist... ;)

Cheers! :)
Iain

camila
# Posted: 17 May 2006 19:23

hah.. that didn't work well.  The ebaumsworld source code, however, did.  You got beat by ebaum, iain. :-P

object id="MediaPlayer1" classid="CLSID:22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95" codebase="http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Version=5,1,52,701" standby="Loading Microsoft Windows® Media Player components..." type="application/x-oleobject">
param name="fileName" value="movies/3.wmv">
param name="animationatStart" value="true">
param name="transparentatStart" value="true">
param name="autoStart" value="true">
param name="showControls" value="true">
param name="Volume" value="-20">
embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/" src="movies/3.wmv" width=320 height=285 autostart=1 showcontrols=1 volume=-20>/embed>
/object>

polson
# Posted: 17 May 2006 21:14

My internet has also mystified Iain.  I think he's losing his touch.

iain
# Posted: 18 May 2006 03:26

Losing his touch? Impossible! ;)

That is, I consider the ebaumsworld code is ugly! And doubly so as it absolutely forces the browser to use Media Player... which people may not have installed and/or wish to use.

Did you remember the </embed> tag...?

In both IE6 and Firefox 1.5 (the two browsers I have most easily available to test this), this code works perfectly well for me:

<embed src="http://your.url.com/file.wmv"></embed>

Other attributes, such as width, height and autostart, can be used in the embed if you wish.

Cheers! :)
Iain

polson
# Posted: 19 May 2006 08:36

I have two words for you, Iain. "Black Magic". If that's not an admission of the loss of touchage, I don't know what is. :P :D

iain
# Posted: 19 May 2006 09:48

I fail to see what the problem with saying that your internet connection is powered by Black Magic is. :?

;)
Iain

camila
# Posted: 20 May 2006 21:25

forcing someone to use media player?  Isn't a .wmv file a media player file?  how could someone use something else?

camila
# Posted: 20 May 2006 21:26

and, iain, what do I have to do for you to change my registration date?  :P  :P  :P

hobbie
# Posted: 21 May 2006 05:33

I would suggest asking nicely. :P ;)

camila
# Posted: 23 May 2006 12:36

(I thought I had)

PLeeeeeeeasssseee?  *puppy dog eyes*

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.064
Online now: Guests - 6
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0