· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / New Xena Comic series coming!
dierna
# Posted: 24 May 2006 22:28

This July, Dynamite Entertainment is putting a new addition on its house of licensed properties with a new Xena ongoing series. We caught up with writer John Layman, artist Fabiano Neves and colorist Richard Isanove to learn about the return of the Warrior Princess. The series will feature covers by Billy (Uncanny X-Men) Tan, Neves along with a photo cover.

Newsarama: While Xena: Warrior Princess was certainly a hit in syndicated television, there may be some comic fans out there that aren't quite "up" on the mythology. What do they need to know about Xena before they pick up this book? After all, long-time TV fans know that Xena met with a pretty definitive fate at the end of the television run. What's up with that?

John Layman: It take place after the series, but I'm not going to tie it too deep into continuity, at least in the first story-arc. As somebody who's worked on a variety of licensed products, I've learned the best way to reach the maximum amount of people is to not expect the readers to have to bring a lot of baggage to the table. That is, I don't want people who missed this or that episode, or even the final episode, to be lost. I want to appeal to the people who are channel surfing and come across an episode of Xena and can say, "Hey, I remember this... this was cool." Of course, there will also be Easter eggs for hardcore fans, but I want this to be initially as accessible as possible for the greatest amount of people.

NRAMA: Fabiano, you're no stranger to the character. Having drawn a Xena series for Dark Horse, you're certainly a perfect candidate for the job - but did the opportunity come as a surprise to you?

Fabiano Neves: It was a big surprise for me. Xena at Dark Horse was my first professional work. Nowadays, my art style is pretty different. I really wasn't expecting to draw Xena again, but it has been a very pleasant surprise. It's really easy to work with all the guys from Dynamite and with John Layman. I believe we'll have very interesting things to show the readers.

NRAMA: Let's talk a little bit about interpretation. Fabiano, your art style is definitely realistic, which can be a great benefit to a licensed property. Will we see a Xena modeled directly after Lucy Lawless, or are you putting your own interpretation into the art?

FN: I use a lot of photographs as reference but I'm trying not to make Xena an exact copy of Lucy Lawless. I'm trying to make all elements of Xena's universe with great fidelity - settings, details and characters… I hope the fans will be glad with the results.

NRAMA: How far into the process of scripting, drawing and coloring are the two of you at this time?

FN: Right now I'm drawing issue #3.

JL: I'm finished off issue #4, which is the conclusion of the first story arc. I've also written the first issue of a Xena crossover. The crazy thing is, this is not only not announced, it's not approved, but I got so excited about it I went ahead and wrote the first issue anyway. Now I got my fingers crossed it will actually happen!

NRAMA: John, what can you tell us about the initial story arc and your plans in general?

JL: The first arc is called "Contest of Pantheons," and, typical of many episodes of Xena, is about Gods and the actions of the Gods interfering with the world of Man. In this case, a trivial matter has sparked a war between the Greek and Egyptian gods, and it gets decided that the best - and most entertaining - way to determine a winner in a war between omnipotent gods is to get a human champion and have a fight between respective champions determine which Pantheon is the winner. Naturally, the Greeks chose... nah... that would be telling.

I will say something that I say about many licensed properties, that where the budget of a TV series - or even movie - is finite and a show is often confined by financial restraints, there is no special effects budget in comics, so I'm aiming to fill each and every issue with the craziest and most elaborate images possible, giant monsters and fantastic creatures and unforgettable events. Xena is a great venue for this, because of the time period and the world it is set in so easily lends itself to big and spectacular visuals.

NRAMA: To what do you attribute the success of Xena and her world?

JL: A think it was a precursor to another great show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in that the tone could vary wildly from episode to episode. It could be very dark and serious, and alternately be light and fun and goofy, sometimes within the same episode. That's something that really appealed to me. Plus, I just love the main characters, how Xena is often the "straight man" to a lot of the comedic elements of the story. The are-they-or-aren't-they-friendship between Xena and Gabrielle is great. And I get a big kick out of the supporting cast, particularly Ted Raimi and Bruce Campbell, so expect to see a lot of Joxer and Autolycus, whenever I get the chance.

NRAMA: Dynamite has shown that they're willing to have fun with crossovers when it makes good sense. Any chance we might see Xena take on Red Sonja or Wonder Woman?

FN: I'd really like that to happen… it would be fantastic to draw some of these crossovers.

JL: It could absolutely happen, and should happen, at least the Red Sonja crossover. Just so we're clear, the thing I referred to earlier, is not a Red Sonja/Xena, so feel free to speculate away, Sam Raimi fans!

NRAMA: What about Xena's syndicated associate, Hercules?

JL: That would be awesome, too. Even as a guest appearance in the regular series would be a treat.

NRAMA: Any deep final thoughts or amazing secrets you'd like to share before we sign off?

FN: hope everyone have fun with Xena's return. You may be sure we are doing our best so that the readers get a great material in their hands. Thanks!

JL: Just that this book has been a lot of fun. Fabiano's great, I loves Richard, and I'm once again grateful to Dynamite for letting me do something fun and cool. And I hope everybody picks it up.

http://www.newsarama.com/dynamitenew/Xena/XenaInt.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.027
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0