· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / New Orleans
monny
# Posted: 25 May 2006 02:26

Hi Everyone,

My sister Marilyn  is volunteering this summer with Habitat for Humanity. I got this very descriptive email from her today and I thought I'd share it with all of you. I think a lot of us don't know what it's like there these days.( I am very proud of her, as you guys may not have noticed ;))

Take care,

V

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am volunteering through SU [Susquhanna University], and our team is working with Habitat for Humanity. Man, this place is sad. We have finished tearing down our house. I called it mass destruction. Yesterday we basically took out everything - moldy stuff out of the house, then today we started tearing the insulation and breaking the ceiling and stuff. I liked today mostly. It's because it's not everyday that you get to destroy houses. We left only brick and wooded polls. Man, there are not very many volunteers. We did one house, I hope more people come and do more houses. Home owners have left the place and they are trying to make a [living], and make a brand new start. It's sad. Well, I don't have that much time left. I am like at a military station.
Last night we went to the French quarter. It was lovely, and scary. Very worldly. Music everywhere, prostitutes, fortune tellers, witches, foreigners, students, etc. The buildings are really nice. I felt like I was in France or something. This place feels like Zimbabwe and looks like Zimbabwe- like the high density suburbs [poor townships]. I want to [live] here, loll, and then again it is not very wise. The area is lovely, but there is a lot of mold and worms, and snakes to meet, in the houses that had water. A lot of people have gone somewhere. It's sad. I think the French quarter is a place for people to hide their inner feelings, inside, they are hurting. It's like the houses, some look nice, because the brick is still standing, but inside, it's a mold and worm world. I got to go eat and catch up with people. God bless you, see you!

Marilyn

P.S. We are it, we are the help. No one else is here to help, we are it.
habitat is still here, but I heard that FEMA might be pulling off their volunteers because they are not getting very much help. In the area that we are in. We get food from somewhere else, every store around us is basically destroyed, doctor's offices, popeyees, etc etc. We don't have a water supply, but we drink from bottles and use Jon's [portable toilets] and stuff. It's good to help people. I feel like I am in Zim, in GlenView [poor township] or something. We are it in the neighborhood, noone else. Nice house, full of mold. No kids, no music, no laughs. Just us, the destroyers, the demolition crew. later

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.015
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0