· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Yorkshire Tourist Attraction goes Star Trek
lupus
# Posted: 7 Jun 2006 04:09

York Maze, the largest maize maze in the world, is looking to the stars this year as the countdown begins towards the summer opening in six weeks time. The design of this year’s maze will be based on the cult TV series Star Trek and will use the latest satellite technology to plot the design in the giant 32 acre field.

Using a sophisticated GPS (Global Positioning System) plotter based on the same satellite technology used in car navigation systems, the first of the pathways were marked out today, though the image won’t become visible until the maize plants have grown ready for the opening on 15 July.

Farmer and maze master Tom Pearcy is basing his maze design on Star Trek, which celebrates its 40th anniversary this year. The first episode was screened in the USA in 1966. It has gone on to become a worldwide phenomenon spawning four spin-off television series, ten blockbuster movies, an animated series and hundreds of internet fan sites.

Announcing the theme for the 2006 maze design, Tom Pearcy said, “I have been thinking about a space themed maze for some time. I am a big fan of Star Trek, and the 40th anniversary gave me the inspiration to use some instantly recognisable images in the design. York Maze is a bit like the universe; its vast, mysterious and a challenge to conquer!”

York Maze will be open daily from Saturday 15 July until Sunday 10 September. Adults £5.50, Children £4.50, Family ticket £18.00.

Find your way to York Maze by putting the postcode YO19 5LA into your SatNav system. Or by traditional navigation you will find it located on the outskirts of York next to the Grimston Bar Park & Ride site just off the A64 on the A1079 Hull Road. www.yorkmaze.co.uk. Tel: 01904 415364.

Source

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.034
Online now: Guests - 6
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0