· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Keep them in your thoughts
lucient
# Posted: 23 Jun 2006 12:32

Some of the members of OTF serve in the military as you all know, and I'm sure even more people have family members and friends who are serving as well. Maybe this is a little selfish on my part, but my step-father left this mornign for an 18 month tour of duty in Iraq. He and his entire unit will do at elast 2 months of training before heading over to where they will be stationed.

My step-father, who growing up was really a father to me, is part of the United States Army 329th Medical Company Ambulance Unit. They are basically military EMT's, and will be transporting patients from one location to another. This unit of 70 troops has men and women raning in age from 19 to late 58 years old in it, from newleyweds to grandparents.  I realise that not everybody here agrees with why the US went to war, and I'm not askign you to change your views on it. All I am asking is that you pray for the men and women of this unit, and all of the other service men and women that are over there that they can come home safe.

ajcardall
# Posted: 23 Jun 2006 14:18

It's not just the US military, either.

My brother - elder - may be dispatched to either Afghanistan, Sierra Leone or...Iraq...

I agree: the soliders out in hotspots did not make this war. They followed orders - we should keep them in our minds.

As Tennyson put it:
Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reson why,
Their's but to do and die...

richard
# Posted: 23 Jun 2006 16:46

Sorry AJ, but I'll just have to disagree. For various reasons.

I do hope however that all troops deployed on 'peacekeeping' missions, regardless their location, return home safely.

ajcardall
# Posted: 23 Jun 2006 18:09

Richard,

You don't believe the troops fighting a war that the politicians started deserve our support, thoughts and prayers while they're serving in Iraq, Afghanistan etc...?

I'm not saying whether or not the war was "right", or just. I'm simply saying, like Luc, that the troops deserve our support.

In a sense, they're just the pawns used to fight someone elses war.

lzrman
# Posted: 23 Jun 2006 23:20

They are the marionettes to Bush. I do hope for there safe return, and once Mr Bush has his term expired that they will reconsider their militant strategies.

Lzrman

babel
# Posted: 24 Jun 2006 00:50

Sorry, but for once I am going to have to 'pull rank' on this. Lucient started the thread for very clear purposes and not for political discusssion. Having been involved in enough of these myself, I'm asking that you please refrain from further political argument in this thread.

Yes . . .
you read correctly . . that was ME of all people saying that *l*

Lucient,  regardless of my views (and they are fairly well known) I hope that any armed forces personnel have a safe tour and come home to their loved ones.  I wish your step-father all the best in his tour.

christena
# Posted: 24 Jun 2006 08:04

*hugs Marc*
I do hope that he   stays  and comes back safely. You and your family are in my  thoughts and prayers.(yes..I do pray on occassion) :P

Cinna :)

sg8472
# Posted: 24 Jun 2006 08:31

If you ask me my opinion on the war I really don't know where to stand, but I do hope that your father, and any others, whether they be OTF or not, come home safe.

It's package and parcel of serving your country...

I'm not as eloquent as Mr. AJ, but building on his earlier remarks to Richard I'll quote Magneto...*l*... I know :(

"In chess, the pawns go first"

I do, however, feel off-put by Babel feeling the need to "pull rank"... primarily because one of the fundamental reasons these men and women are putting their lives on the line is being ignored -- Free speech!... which also happens to PD #10 at this very Outpost.

"Outpost 10F recognizes and guarantees the right of free speech to all it's chatroom visitors as long as their comments and statements abide by all the Prime Directives stated here."

I'd like to point out the "guarantees" part, especially considering it seems that "their comments and statements abide by all the Prime Directives stated". :)

Now, I'm not trying to start anything, because one point I agree with Babel on is that this may not be the best place to argue these points, but I feel a much better way of handling this is to ask them to continue their debate on another thread.

Now, I'll leave it at that, because it I don't want to draw anymore attention from this thread's primary reason than already has been done. Sorry if I've offended anyone... feel free to email me about it.

Again, safe home to all those men and women serving their country, wherever they may be. :)

SG

babel
# Posted: 24 Jun 2006 10:19

I 'pulled rank' as we all know how these things go. It has nothing to do with the PDs. So please stick to Lucient's original theme and stop point-scoring, okay? :)

lucient
# Posted: 24 Jun 2006 11:24

I really don't want this to turn into a political argument so if it gets that way I'll just lock this thread. The point behind this was to make alot of the people at OTF realsie that this place is about more then just promotions and awards.

Yeah, they are fun and nice, but they aren't everything. We are a community of friends for a reason. We're supposed to be here to offer support and advice when somebody needs it, regardless of our political views.

mustaine
# Posted: 29 Jun 2006 18:54

I wish your father a safe tour of duty.  Being a former Marine I know what goes through your head when yor in a situation like your father is.  When I was in Somalia back in 92 and 93 the whole world really wasn't connected through the internet and I could only snail mail my friends and family. So think the maker for modern technology you can e-mail or IM your pops pretty much anytime :)

jj
# Posted: 30 Jun 2006 09:03

Luc,

We will keep your father and his unit in our prayers as they prepare to go overseas! I have three nephews serving, one of whom has been to Afganistan and to Iraq twice. I am proud to be the aunt, daughter, grand-daughter, great-grand daughter, etc. (all the way back to the American Revolution), of men who served our country.

~ JJ

stevennorton
# Posted: 21 Jul 2006 09:47

I just found this... and I feel the need to comment, get ready for a surprise.

I think, that in the politcal debates, some that I myself am involved in, we forget the comman man. The man that defends himself, his family, his people more than his country. Too much emphsis is placed on what we love to flame. I would smile at a report about Sgt. So-and-so from Kansas City and how he is improving moral in his unit, and writing love letters to his pregnant wife at home. His story is much more interesting then President What's-his-face.

Disconnecting the Big Time attitude connected with military movements and concentrating on the men and the women in the trenchs is admirable and regaurdless of my opinion of the United States, I personally hope every last American (Canadian, British, German, Austrian, Swedish, Polish, etc...) Citizen out there protecting himself, his family and his people, comes home to them!!

Steve

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.018
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0