· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Microsoft guinea pigs
norrisa
# Posted: 8 Jul 2006 17:15

Microsoft has been implementing a pre-version of WGAN (Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications) as a high priority item in the automatic updates of a windows machine. This tool is used to confirm the authenticity of windows software in a PC.

Microsoft has been working on such programs to distinguish pirated copies of windows from legitimate ones. The original one (started in 2004) was used to validate windows when you downloaded software from Microsoft.

Some IT experts are troubled by this, “people may not realize they are participating in a trial and have in essence become unsuspecting guinea pigs, they said.”

Some suggest that pushing the antipiracy tool out as a "high priority" update in the same way as security fixes is a ploy to get people to install it. Running the tool doesn’t benefit the user in any way.

Continued Story

Andrew

demonvamp
# Posted: 8 Jul 2006 20:15

I just ignore it in the downloads. My poor laptop is full of enough junk and I know my windows is legal :o

QD

lzrman
# Posted: 8 Jul 2006 21:58

Like wise!

methos
# Posted: 9 Jul 2006 07:44

Microsoft got a lot of grief about this and though they have added a link on their page to remove the offensive piece of rubbish it will still pop up each time you get updates.  Best thing to do is just ignore it and hide it from future updates.  There are of course some sites that tell you how to get around it altogether but I havent yet had time to check any of them.

Kyp

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.013
Online now: Guests - 7
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0