· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Rock Star: Supernova
rpmobsession
# Posted: 16 Aug 2006 17:52

For music lovers in the states, you may have heard about the new Rock Star: Supernova television show. This is actually the second season, but it's been a good one. Last year, Dave Navarro came up with a show idea where upcoming famous bands find a lead singer from a group of upcoming musicians. Last season, the band that was being helped was INXS. They were reforming and looking for a new front person. This season they are looking for a new lead singer for Supernova. The band is going to consist of Tommy Lee (from Motley Crue) on drums, Jason Newstead (from Metallica) on bass, and Gilby Clark (from Guns N Roses) on guitar.

For those of you who are new to the show, each week performers perform legendary rock songs but add in a twist that makes it "theirs". They're critiqued by not only singing stlye and vocal range but also stage performance. They are down to 8 contestants now, so it's really picking up and getting extremely good. Soon, if they follow last year, the contestants will start performing original songs of their own, which is really awesome. In fact, maybe some of you have heard the song "Pretty Vegas". That song was born on last season's show, though I forget the guy's name. He did end up winning.

So, I've just been wondering who else has been watching it and what you guys think!! Tonight Supernova performed an original song of theirs with one of the contestants.

Personally, I didn't quite like the music of Supernova and the lyrics of the song were rather plain and dull, but I LOVED Dilana's singing. I think, she has an amazing voice, very 4 Non-Blondesque ("I said Hey! What's going on!?"). And, not only  her voice, but her stage presence is absolutely to die for! Last week, she sang Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle" and did a SPLENDID job. It got the crowd pumping and going, and it's not really a well-known or adrenalin-rushing song, but she made it one and did so excellently. The week before that she performed  a Bad Company song. Another song that isn't well-known and not super pumped, and she made that song into a spectacular show, too. She even ran up to Dave, Tommy, Gilby, and Jason, danced, and jumped around. Then, she was carried back to the main stage by sitting on some random audience guy's shoulders.  All the while singing a verse. It was totally cool.

For people I don't partically like is Lukas, Patrice, and Zayra. Patrice has had continually sucky performances and has YET to step up to the plate. In fact, two shows ago she did the Rick Springfield 80's classic "867-5309". While watching the performance, I continually said "If I were in a concert, this would be my water break." And that is EXACTLY what Dave Navarro said. I was laughing my butt off. She has no stage persona and is unoriginal. Lukas has a problem standing with his back to the audience. He sang Hole's "Celebrity Skin", and he had his back to us for more than half the song. Not to mention, I just don't think his singing style is compatiable with Supernova's music, especially after we got a preview of their music tonight. And, Zayra, or however it's spelled, is basically retarded in my opinion. She's weird and not in a good way. She, apparently, thinks that the outfit she wears is more important than her singing, and I think it shows blatantly. Thankfully, she was voted off tonight. :)

But, that's just what I think, so what do YOU think?

RPMO

P.S. Sorry to all you Non-States people. While it's not on T.V. for you guys, you can go http://rockstar.msn.com and listen to clips and stuff from the shows, including highlights of all the performances. So, you can have an opinion, too! Hah.

deanna
# Posted: 17 Aug 2006 14:53

Well I followed Rock Star: Inxs addictively close last year, I was a huge fan of "Sweet" Suzy...as Dave nicknamed her. But was ok with JD Fortune winning, I'm not a huge fan of his, but he could sing. I'll have to give him that.

This year, I've had to miss too many of the episodes, I feel like I've caught it about every other week. I'm not hooked as much as I was last summer...though it's still a great show.

And I'm thrilled to hear that goofball Zayra (sp?) was finally cast off the show!

Thanks for the link, I'll definately go peek....

:)

All in all...it's a show with a rock emphasis, I like it!

rpmobsession
# Posted: 18 Aug 2006 13:50

Yea, I liked Marty WAY better, and his song about up in the tree. I LOVED it. I've been wanting to try and find it, but I don't know if he actually ever put it out or not. Anyone know!?

RPMO

P.S. I understand about not being able to catch it, but they are just starting to get down to the good people, so it hasn't been worth much yet. The opening shows aren't too great. I think it gets way better when they start singing their own compositions. ;)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.026
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0