· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / The Work Colleague rant
kittykat
# Posted: 25 Aug 2006 11:12

So - on the whole I like the people in my work and even the ones that inadvertently drive me insane are basically all right people, however you can't really VENT at work. It's bad form...so....

The guy who now sits opposite me.  Despite having a girlfriend that he lives with - stinks of B-O.  Okay it might be some kind of medical problem but it's not pleasant!  He also has zero days of leave left.  We get 25 days from Jan to Jan and he has none.  A couple of times he's phoned in to say he won't be making into work on time - yeah it's so fricken hard!  Sometimes he'll just sit there and do absolutely nothing for 30minutes.  Also  - he asks me really really stupid questions  - questions that people who are being trained asked not people who have been out of their training for 5 months should be asking.     :v

Then we have the fella who sits behind me.  I think it's obvious he just did the test to get into the civil service and not the interview as well.  He works 7 days a week where possible for like 3 weeks in a row and yet never seems to manage to clear his work.  His idea of going on a diet is not eating for 6 weeks but drinking grape juice (to the concern of the other members of his section) once he has finished this "diet" he proceeds to eat junk food again!   If there is a problem with the computer sytem he takes  a day off instead of waiting for it to be fixed (which he's not allowed to do) o if in overtime he's asked to do work that isn't his own he suddenly feels unwell and has to go home :v

The woman beside him wears the most godawful smelling perfume and likes to top it up  - I think it's killing my sense of smell (that and the b-o) :( .  She also transfers phonecalls if she doesn't deal with the surname regardless of whether or not I'm on my lunch - I don't do that! Heck I even did an urgent payment for her because she was training someone I could of left it till 3.30 and handed it to her then but Noooooooooooo!

Then we have the part time lady.  Who I do like,  but she works 5 days on 5 days off (ie wed, thurs, fri, mon tues).  She complains every time she works her full 5 days (with the weekend off!;) Er yeah I've worked 10 full days (weekends off) and I just suck it up  :v

See

Now I feel better  :)

Anyone else need to let off steam?

demonvamp
# Posted: 25 Aug 2006 12:43

Don't let 'em get you down, KK! And don't let 'em pass the buck!

Urgh, there's nothing worse than perfume overdose (though maybe BO) Maybe one of those febreeze things would help, do they do them in solid form :?

QD ;)

I need to rant about something, too. But I think I'll loose the plot with a proper rant, so a brief scream will have to do :(

*deep breath* eeeeeeeepRaaaaargh!

Very brief :?

kady
# Posted: 25 Aug 2006 15:25

This sounds like a fun thread!  :)  I like most of the people I'm working with.  They're all really cool and nice.  The married guy who used to sit beside me and talk to me forever and ask me weird questions like, "So where do you live?" and bring me things and buy me things used to kinda bug me, but the trainer, JJ, kept yelling at him to turn around and leave me alone so it's not so bad now.  Plus, they moved us all into different seats and everyone I'm sitting beside now is okay.

They all think I'm a wheat-grass-drinking weirdo now, though. :?

What always worries me is what happens when our coworkers find this site and read our complaints? They'll hate us. :(

kittykat
# Posted: 25 Aug 2006 15:39

oh that reminds me the fellow behind me randomly asks stupid questions out of nowhere.  Like "what year was your favourite for  music.  Mine was 1994"

Kady ahh well see to be here they'd have to like sci-fi/fantasy and the people I'm talking about don't!

polson
# Posted: 25 Aug 2006 16:29

I work with two girls and they're awesome.  I'm their boss too, so if they do anything I don't like I just say "you're fired! ha ha!" except I can't really fire them so usually they just laugh.  No really though, if I don't like something, I just say so and it changes, and usually I'm pretty good about being diplomatic.  I make a joke and then I say "but seriously though...." and then I praise lots when they do it right.

However, I can see how I would drive people NUTS.  I talk, non stop.  Yabber yabber yabber.  I will often retell stories and then when they're like "yeah, I heard this one before" I say "too bad, you're going to hear it again" and I just keep going.  Jen knows ALL about Stargate and she's only ever seen one episode, I never shut up about Stargate.  And sometimes I'm grouchy or moody, or in a weird mood and I ask BIZARE questions, questions like "if you were cupboard door, what kind of handle would you have and what color would you be?"  And I complain.  I begin at least two sentences a day with, "you know what I hate?"  (once, Sonja said in response to this rhetorical question "everything?" and I refused to tell her what I hated until she threatened to hit me if I didn't).

I have a t-shirt that says "I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas." This t-shirt is me to a t.  Get it?  Ha ha!  T!

I also laugh at my own jokes and think I'm terribly funny.  So I can see how I would drive KK nuts. :D

babel
# Posted: 26 Aug 2006 02:58

I've gone as far as I can in my job. I work for a family-owned firm - the father has retired and his two sons run it jointly. One is an okay businessman but uninterested, and the other is to be quite frank an incompetent, thick-as-two-short-planks, capricious, insensitive berk.

I do a good job, I lead my team well (I manage eight people) , can motivate, organise, sort out personnel problems, in fact my problem solving in general is good. But there is so little focus and vision from the directors. The two brothers actively work against each other much of the time - the company constantly switches direction on a whim, comes up with stupid new schemes we are expected to enthusiastically implement until they are dropped a couple of months later .

I have my resources squeezed constantly and am expected to deliver more and more, my people are rarely praised and often criticised. The stupid brother has tried to get me to ban non-work chatter in the office - I told him to sod off! People need to be happy and relaxed to perform to their best I think. I run a telesales operation and how can people be good with customers on the phone if they're grumpy?

He even ordered the postcards on the wall of the canteen to be taken down cos they looked untidy, apparently.  Idiot. It's petty little stuff like that that annoys people. And the fact that there are some people in the company who get away with murder, treat people like crap and get paid ridiculously huge amounts for sitting on their backsides, talking to their friends all day on the phone, checking their air miles online etc.

ANYway. This weekend I'm getting my CV (resume) sorted out and I intend to bugger off as soon as I get a decent offer. I get a poor wage for the job I do and I reckon I can get another £6k easily.  Sorry you lot have copped for this rant but I saw the thread and yesterday I had just snapped at work. I can't work in the conditions they create any more.

kady
# Posted: 26 Aug 2006 07:17

OK.  Well, this guy is a weird scifi/fantasy type guy.  That is part of his creepiness factor. And he is so flamboyantly open about it!  So maybe I seriosuly shouldn't have posted this here.  Although now, people who are into scifi/fantasy will think I just insulted them.  So, I lose either way.  I am a fantasy/scifi nerd, but I am a closeted one.  People in real life know me as being preppy/sporty/and a bit stuck up.  This is how I choose to be perceived.  In reality, I'm just shy and worry way too much about how people perceive me.

I'm not a boss.  However, I have a coach and a peer coach who act as supervisors.  Yesterday, my coach asked me what my fetish is.  He said, "C'mon, I know you have to have one."  My eyes must have been the size of two silver dollars as I suddenly thought, "Hrmmm....if there were PD's in real life, you'd just have violated like 15 of them."

deanna
# Posted: 26 Aug 2006 07:39

My co-workers for the most part are ..... unique *L* Swear to you I've never worked with a bunch of serious perv's before. I mean "serious" perv's! I spend the better part of the day blushing! *L*
They're a fun lot however, some are way better then others, and some I feel more confident working with cause they're smart and with it, and will pitch in and be serious team players when needed. Some aren't so good to work with but are great outside of work. So yeah, we get along, mostly. My boss (I use the term lightly cause he just doesn't act bossy) is so cool...anyway, he and I have started a new adventure, everyone at work is getting a nicname.
So far...
He's Patty0cracky (*L* DON"T ASK)
I'm Kimbo or Kimmybeth...he keeps calling me the names my family has called me for years!
Rob is "Helpdesk" if anything (and I do mean anything) needs found, figured out or taken care of, he's the man that just does it.
Jess is JD...that has two meanings *L* but I prefer calling her Yessica *L* and I say it all sultry like...
Melba, is Smelba, or Melbatoast,  that's rude but whatever *L*
Amy, Gucci, Melanie & LaKisha...they don't have real nicknames yet, but we're working on it *L*
Gucci, is actually probably her nickname since it's not really her name *L*
Her name is Gu Chuan, and she's from China...we have funny conversations about Chinese guys, and rice *L*
I found out from her that the Chinese culture says their names backwards, I never knew that before. So technically her first name is Chuan.

We're a small group of folks, in small spaces...sometimes we get along alot, sometimes not so much.

kady
# Posted: 26 Aug 2006 11:38

Kym, your perv comments have set the wheels of my mind in motion... :k

If I type excerpts from our work conversations here, will I get blacklisted? SOT? Hrm....

Well, you have to understand...we live in WV.  There's not much to occupy ourselves.  I swear we're all professional and work hard, but there are people who definitely will keep you blushing.

I started working in childcare.  Ryan was our guru when it came to wild parties and reportoire.  You could always count that when there was an opportunity to refer to a woman's anatomy or hit on any woman who walked up, he was doing it.  He organized staff party nights...and we all partied in style.  He was the one who taught me how to beat every other woman in a contest to see who could convince a stranger to buy her a drink in the least amount of time.  And you know what? I won!  Not bad for a geeky OTFer, eh?  ;)  Ryan also taught me more about life than any other man I've ever known.  Most people hated him, though-- but I could never stop adoring him.  What can I say? I'm just cheesey that way.  He was a difficult character.  His mother abandonned him when he was a baby and his father left him with his grandmother, who later died and left him to live at a residential care facility.  He pretty much raised himself. Yeah, he was a jerk.  But, he also went out of his way to help everyone and anyone who needed him.    I guess you could call him a jerk with a heart.

Applebees was amazing!  I worked with a few girls who worked as strippers at some point in their lives...or had at least auditioned.  They taught me how to give guys lapdances. (I don't know where I'll ever use that...*lol*) I think I just froze in terror as the guys would ask me to practice on them.

After only two weeks, I can already tell my new job is going to be interesting.  Here are a couple interesting lines....

(We Use A Fan In the Training Room Because It Gets So Hot)
"Can you please make that fan ovulate?"
Ummm....the fan doesn't ovulate....
"Erm...I mean oscillate?"

(During Training We Played A Game Of Pictionary)
"So the category is fourplay?"
*class errupts in laughter*
No, the category is All-Play.

teekay
# Posted: 26 Aug 2006 15:16

Work rants FTW, yay! \o/

Anyway, yes. I have this colleague who's really a sweet guy of the wouldn't hurt a fly-type.  He's about a hand's width taller than I am and weighs probably twice as much as me. I don't hold that against him, he's working on losing it. He's not stupid, oh no; in fact, he's a literature master student.  But he's a bit slow, and he's clumsy.
He's constantly breaking off plastic drawer handles, dropping things, forgetting his mobile in the office, forgetting to turn off the computer when he leaves, forgetting to tell us things (like the fact that we're getting a new server within two weeks and need to back up the content of the old one), and sweeping my notes off my desk.
He's a rambler, and a slow speaker; when he starts talking he forgets to include the one vital information that would put what he says into context; he doesn't come to the point.
And which is probably worst of all, he seems to have no concept of personal space, or rather, his is broader than mine. He constantly comes too close, or leans over my shoulder when I am working at the computer (something which drives me through the wall), or starts talking when I am in the middle of something and concentrating.
He is saved by the fact that he's a sweet guy, really.

deanna
# Posted: 26 Aug 2006 19:54

Kady...I can't mention our conversations here...I'd definately be moved to SOT! *LMAO* :)

Sounds like we all have "interesting" co-workers :)

kady
# Posted: 27 Aug 2006 07:58

OK.  True Story.

I was walking out to my car in the parking lot one night and I suddenly remembered how this guy made this comment that totally agitated me and I just let it slip by.  So, I thought, "I'm going to go say something to him about it because I know no one else will."  (This guy is fairly arrogant and treats most of his coworkers like crap and mostly just because everyone lets him without wanting to stir things up by being confrontational.  He goes around boasting that it's "his restaurant", and "his staff" and how "his staff isn't filling his sidestations" when he's one of the least experienced people there, does the least amount of work.... and it drives everyone crazy.) The restaurant was still open and had guests dining in it, so I went to the back staff entrance.  It was really dark and the lights outside had gone off as they usually did without warning.  As I approached the door, I heard a man's voice caution me, "I think that door is locked."  My heart leapt into my throat because I didn't see anyone around and thought I was alone.  Also, the restaurant is located right beside the race track and attracts a lot of ghetto-ish, rough, gangsta type people.  I was finally able to identify the man as our dishwasher, and felt relieved...but I didn't entirely trust this man, either.  He was a dead ringer for Snoop Doggy Dog...complete with dreads and everything.  I tried to chat with him a second to be polite before making my way out of there.  He was nice enough about it.  Unfortunately, his girlfriend pulled up into the parking lot just as the two of us were walking out from behind the building.  She flipped her lid!  She put her car into park and started demanding why I was walking from behind the building with her "man."  I tried to explain and thought "I'm so seriosuly going to get my arse kicked.  OK, let me see what I remember from my kickboxing classes.  Just focus.  You can do this, Melissa."  The woman kept screaming, both her boyfriend and I tried to explain that it was just a coincidence that we happened to both be back there.  And as she went on screaming at him, I thought, "SWEET! This is my chance to escape!" and headed for my car hoping to get out of there.  But, I wasn't so lucky.  Somehow, as I finally made it to my car, the woman put her car in reverse and diagonaled her car so she was blocking my car in.  More shouting and screaming ensued.  The boyfriend did a great job calming her down and finally, to my relief, she left.  I learned a lot about that guy that night.  Apparently he has a history of cheating and so he explained her as being very "protective"...funny, I would have described her as psychotic, but whatever.  You say tomatoe, I say tomato.  She did leave me with a warning, "I'm keeping an eye on you."  Great!  Thanks. :)

polson
# Posted: 27 Aug 2006 09:02

Most of my crazy work stories are of customers who flip their lids.  I had one lady REALLY lose it on me, to the point that I was afraid I was going to have to call the police to have her removed.

deanna
# Posted: 27 Aug 2006 10:16

Imagine customers flipping out on you so bad that you actually get "scared" and then realizing you have $80,000.00 in your vault right by your feet, and no glass or anything else between you and freaking out weirdo's.....I've never had to push the silent alarm, but there's been more than one time, my finger has hovered near it, and I've been so thankful afterwards that help is just a "button" away *L*

skevington
# Posted: 27 Aug 2006 13:34

Hmm... I don't have any problems with those i work with, for the most part anyway. Most of them are sweet and considerate people. My grandmother was dying a few days ago in hospital and i had to work in the morning, though i wasn't sure if i could make it in or not as i wanted to stay in the hospital with her until she passed. They went out of their way to swap things around so i could be there.

Tonight, one of the girls i work with wrote me a note saying that she loved working with me *LOL* It was sweet.

Then there is Magaret, or Maggie as we call her... i don't hate her but i get angry at myself sometimes. I don't know why but she is always short of money and i keep lending her small amounts all the time. I think she is beginning to take advantage of it but i don't want to be mean to her, she is depressed enough as it is. And she contradicts me a lot and tries to do my job for me.

Angie is hilarious. For my birthday her and Donna bought me something uh... that inflates. They called me into work under the pretence that they needed a supervisor to cover a shift as there was no one else, and they blown it up right in the store. I've never been so embarrased.  :(

Dmitri

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.017
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0