· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Cat Lovers
ayanna
# Posted: 29 Aug 2006 07:58

Hey all

as most know i have two cats. Socks who is still a kitten and Gizmo who is apparently to (she still getting her baby teeth in, found out due to her having some issues).  My question is this. Socks here lately has become more and more aggressive. He attacks any and everything, in meaness to. He has recently started attacking Gizmo by lunging on her back and biting her. Gizmo tries hard not to hurt socks, but sometimes she has to in order to make him listen. He is not only attacking her, but me as well. It's not a normal behavior i think. Can anyone give some insight as what i might do to fix this problem or should i consider taking Socks out of the household for Gizmo's safety?

darth_balco
# Posted: 29 Aug 2006 08:48

I think that Socks is just being playful. Sure they'll get rough with it, but I've had a few cats that would play around like that. My best suggestion is when it does that is to get a water bottle and squirt them with it everytime they do that, eventually they'll get the message and leave you alone. As for the cats behavior around each other, that's just them playing with each other and if it does get out of hand, just use the water bottle to teach them both when they are getting out of hand.

citron
# Posted: 29 Aug 2006 10:11

As long as the cats are not scratching out eyes or drawing blood.  

Pat's right though, you need to get a water bottle and use that.  You must train your cats, both of them, into knowing what is not right.

demonvamp
# Posted: 29 Aug 2006 10:17

Has it had the...um... snip?

Might be that if not.

QD.

kittykat
# Posted: 29 Aug 2006 12:14

I agree with QD if he hasn't been all ready Id suggest getting them neutered.  Admittedly it hasn't worked with Casper but he has other issues

ayanna
# Posted: 29 Aug 2006 15:25

No blood drawn yet..  as for being neutred, the doc saiad he was to young. He's only about 4 or 5 months old i have to wait till he's about 6 or 7 months old. but my dining room does smell awful like he's started spaying or something. can he at that age?

kady
# Posted: 29 Aug 2006 15:35

OK, I'm actually a bit of an amateur expert when it comes to cats.  Mind you, not because I ever WANTED to be, but more because I sort of got pushed into it.  

Sounds like your Socks is definitely hitting puberty.  Look around your area.  There are vets who will do juvenile nuetering, but you have to aproach them about it, they won't offer this up because it's new and not as trusted.  Trust me, the younger you get your cat altered, the better for everyone...especially you.  You'll thank me for this.

It just sounds like normal dominance issues.  The water thing will work.  But, be careful how often you jump in to seperate them.  Seperating animals who are squabbling over dominance will only cause them to fight longer and more often.  Gizmo will calm him down when she's tired of his antics.  Trust her to keep him in line.  And the neutering will always calm him down, too.

polson
# Posted: 29 Aug 2006 18:31

Vets, psha.  You people make me sick.

Actually, my cat got snipped by my dad and my grandpa.  They shoved him in a plastic tube so he couldn't get away and did the deed themselves.  He was fine.  They also did it when he was fairly young, by my memory, no more than five months.  It took him a few days to forgive us all, but he lived and he calmed down a fair bit.  Just go find an old farmer with a plastic tube.  You'll be good.

I know, all you cat lovers are bug eyed "I don't BELIEVE you!".  My dad always said that once the cat needed a vet, it was time to shoot it.  Not that I subscribe to that theory, but I have to admit, dad was right about the neutering thing.

skevington
# Posted: 30 Aug 2006 03:42

For some reason, i'd still rather go to the vet...

Dmitri

stevennorton
# Posted: 30 Aug 2006 04:04

And for some reason I'd still rather shoot the cat...

Steve

skevington
# Posted: 30 Aug 2006 04:17

You're a bad bad man Mr Norton!  :o

Dmitri

kittykat
# Posted: 30 Aug 2006 04:23

Pols: do they believe the same of going to the Doctors?

polson
# Posted: 31 Aug 2006 07:33

KK...*l* That was MY outraged defense at dad telling me once my cat needed a vet it was time to shoot it.  "So if I need a doctor are you going to shoot ME??"

Be not mistaken.  I'D have taken my cat to a vet even if my dad wouldn't.  I adored that cat.

kayana
# Posted: 10 Sep 2006 06:41

Erm, Pols, I think it'd be slighter harder to neuter a female cat using a plastic bottle....I'd also like to admit that I just spent the 5 mins staring bug-eyed at the screen going, "how the heck did they do that??" LOL

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.034
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0