· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Spam and you
ohm
# Posted: 20 Sep 2006 07:13

Unsolicited email... Spam... Iain...

There are some things we can live without in our inboxes.

As a part of some research I am doing in this very area I have need of your help! I would like to know how much spam people with Outpost10f.com email accounts and alia currently receive. As Iain and I prepare to launch operation "Eat Spam" I would like to complete a snapshot of the current problem. So please I ask that you think about your answers carefully. Eventually I will be collecting this data again to assess if our efforts have had any affect on the volume of spam that plagues our inboxes.

So thankyou for your time and if you have any comments, ideas or suggestions please feel free to leave them below.

kevkc
# Posted: 20 Sep 2006 07:28

To be honest, the level of spam I was getting from my OTF email account were so high that I had the alias I had deleted and a new one formed instead.

Me no likey el Spam... Especially when I have my mail forwarded to another account...

KC

methos
# Posted: 20 Sep 2006 08:15

I apparently am on of the lucky ones.  I get very very little spam at my OTF address.  I may get 10 or so a week.  And this includes me checking my junk folder as well =P.

Kyp

fat_man
# Posted: 20 Sep 2006 08:30

i got so much, that i just stopped using it

demonvamp
# Posted: 20 Sep 2006 08:49

I don't have an OTF alias, but my spam count has shot up since joining departments, as this addy is the only one I use for OTF stuff and my others are pretty much clear :(

lzrman
# Posted: 20 Sep 2006 11:41

I get maybe 1 or 2 a week but then it forwards to my isp email which also cuts out spam on the server level and I never see it.

Could create multiple alias's for a user so that it forwards to there main account. then if they want they can just delete the alias w/ out deleting there main account.

lzrman-other@outpost10f.com
lzrman-forms@outpost10f.com
lzrman@outpost10f.com = Main in which the above fwd to this one.

using the above helps control spam with my isp email.

Lzrman

eagle
# Posted: 20 Sep 2006 14:20

A spam bot hit the config account for engineering.outpost10f.com ... You should have seen the error message it threw to the list owner. =(

brady
# Posted: 21 Sep 2006 00:20

I get probably around 100 items of SPAM per day through my outpost alias'.  And no, this doesn't include email from Iain.

It's partly my own fault though, I should link to my dossier instead of a direct mailto: link when I post my contact details around the place.  I'm going to start doing that real soon.

kayana
# Posted: 21 Sep 2006 08:21

Well, I don't know how much of my spam is from the alias or from my normal account. All alias emails get forwarded to my yahoo one which does a pretty good job at spam filtering. So yeah, I don't know to who my spam gets sent to!

jadzia_jones1
# Posted: 22 Sep 2006 12:24

I don't get alot.. I have oddels of email accounts., which all get sent to one. I have a very good fillter. If one get's through I bounce it back *lol*

I don't use my OTF email account.. I never seem to get an answer from anyone with one.. or if I do it's days away

* Jadzia *

gates
# Posted: 15 Oct 2006 19:48

I get lots of them.  They're always the same thing, an ad for some stock or something and always has a .png, .jpg or .gif attached to it.  That's the only spam I get from my Outpost10.com alias.  They have been getting worse as well, it used to be just one every other day or so, but now it's like five to ten a day, each from a different email address.  I mark it as spam in my email client, but I don't think they've caught on yet. :(

aeon
# Posted: 20 Oct 2006 22:39

I don't know if it's really started after I got my OTF alias, but I'm getting spam mails since then. Like I said: I don't really know if the alias is responsible in any way (especially because these spam e-mails are written in Chinese letters), but... I do get spam mails. Maybe 1 spam mail a day.

And yup. Someone must've gotten something wrong. It was "an apple a day keeps the doctors away", and not "a spam-mail a day..."

:(

polson
# Posted: 20 Nov 2006 12:26

Nobody sends email to my alias account and it's not posted anywhere on the web to my knowledge so I've gotten none.

I don't advertise my alias account because when people send email to me that is also addressed to others, I do not receive it, not in my spam box, not in my inbox, so it's kind of useless.  I don't want everyone using my alias only to have me never actually recieve their emails.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.027
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0