· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / MSN Messenger
jaquaia
# Posted: 25 Sep 2006 03:24

MSN refused to sign in and came up with an error code so I un-installed with the intention of re-installing it, except I can't re-install it, it keeps failing with the error code '1603'. It said to download the latest version, which I did, and I'm having the same problem. I can get on to my email and I can sign in to web messenger so it can't be my NET passport.

Any ideas?

methos
# Posted: 25 Sep 2006 11:19

I was having the same problem.  It's your firewall.  I'm not sure which your using but you have 2 options.  You can go in and manually configure your firewall to allow MSN or you can disable the firewall just long enough to connect to MSN and then re enable it after your signed on.

Kyp

david1
# Posted: 29 Sep 2006 11:23

...Kyp the error message came up BEFORE she had a firewall ... (the windows one doesnt count, and has allready been checked to make sure its not blocking the msn)

Ive poked the computer from afar =) but to no evail.

Id assume the computer has been compramized.

norrisa
# Posted: 29 Sep 2006 14:48

1) Click Start > Run
2) Type msiexec /unreg and press enter and wait until it appears to have finished.
3) Go back to Start > Run
4) Type msiexec /regserver and press enter.
5) Try to Reinstall MSN Messenger again.

Andrew

david1
# Posted: 30 Sep 2006 01:06

Ive allready given her that one to try =\

failed.

Its neither of them, and wierdly enough her virus scanner doesnt pick up any viruses on the comp, even though, being online without a "decent" firewall... you'd have thought there would at least be one virus lying around... then again she uses AVG =\

jaquaia
# Posted: 30 Sep 2006 03:38

I wasn't online for over a year so my subscription to Norton ran out :( A friend recommended AVG, I guess there's much better out there then?

david1
# Posted: 30 Sep 2006 04:28

A Nortons contains an Antivirus and a Firewall package.

AVG is Antivirus only.

... meaning you had no firewall.

Secondly, wierdly, since you cant install gaim on your machine, with an "invalid file error" somthing is definatly up, so id have to say, your computer has been compramised :( and needs re-installing, esp if online virus scans continue to crash on you :(

jaquaia
# Posted: 30 Sep 2006 04:46

Argh!  :(

I'll pay you, come and do it for me  :(

norrisa
# Posted: 30 Sep 2006 07:48

Have you tried to reinstall Windows Installer, then?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloa....lang=en

Andrew

jaquaia
# Posted: 30 Sep 2006 08:24

"The download you have requested is unavailable"

And I don't really know what I'm doing once things get really technical so I don't want to go piling in and downloading anything  :(

Looking for the download myself that is

methos
# Posted: 30 Sep 2006 09:01

Ah well that changes things significantly then.  I agree that it sounds like you have been compromised.  And sadly there are some viruses out there that can elude antivirus as well as rootkits (mutters about Sony being the start of this new headache  :v).  Moving along.  I would recommend a last ditch effort.  Go to a friend and ask them to go to this site Singer.  I normally don't recommend Macafee but Stinger is pretty thorough and doesn't play around.  It doesn't hold your hand and play nice.  If it finds a virus it kills it end of story.  Have a friend make a copy of Stinger on a CD take it home.  Go in and turn off System restore.  This is very important as leaving system restore can help keep viruses alive sometimes.  Reboot in safe mode and run Stinger.  Then reboot afterwards and reenable system restore.  If that doesn't work you will be out of options and would need to look at doing a fresh install.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Kyp

jaquaia
# Posted: 30 Sep 2006 09:44

Thanks, I'll give that a go  :)

And if that doesn't work I'd be more tempted to take the sledgehammer approach then the fresh install approach  :o

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.023
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0