· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Windows Vista?
<< . 1 . 2 .
david1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2006 11:53

<!--QuoteBegin--anth+Nov. 27 2006,10:12--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (anth @ Nov. 27 2006,10:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->A full suite of office software ( as good as windows )<br>Anti Virus<br>photo editing<br>paint apps<br>video editing<br>sound recording/editing<br>bit torrent client<br>3 messengers ( MSN, yahoo sign in etc )<br>3 browsers ( including mozilla, sea monkey )<br><br>and many games, arcade, puzzle, cards, chess, etc.<br><br>Let's not forget this is a free OS!<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br>I agree with what you say there, but i only use linux for server, thats because its so darn stable.<br><br>And as for all that long list of stuf, do you use it all, if you do, how frequently?<br><br>Heres the problem linuc has, if it did go mainstream, and people started building viruses and such for it, who's going to write the antivirus software? fix the os'es?<br><br>Me if i was a developer on those tux projects, i wouldnt mind working once in a while on the free os, but if it got attacked so much with viruses and such, where id be at the point, where it would be soaking up all my time, id either give up on it, or make it fee based, because why spend so much time putting so much effort into somthing just to have a bunch of kids come along and make its users and developers lives a misery.<br><br>If linux does get big, it will fall foul to the many things which glitched windows.<br><br>And with the rise of a handy little os independant Root-kits becomming ever more increasing, linux will become more under threat.<br><br>bah i just rambled on... >.<<br><br>You get the point of what im saying?<br><br><b>XZ</b>

anth
# Posted: 1 Dec 2006 13:49

XZ : I'm no expert at all. I do agree with what you're saying though. however, the point i'm making is more that Linux is out there, it will suit some people, and it's free.

There's no need to grab pirate MS OS's, give it a go.

I doubt there will ever be a "market" for a Linux virus, it will never be worth the trouble. Most people do not even know it exists, or what the hell it is. *L*

Yep, i do use a wide variety of software. Burning apps, a lot of media software, and photo apps on a daily basis.

I was pointing out that some Linux OS's are ready to roll for your every day needs, without installing a thing.

I doubt i'll ever run Linux full time on my primary computer, but i will definately use it on a spare.

david1
# Posted: 1 Dec 2006 22:40

well, if windows Vista does what some people fear its going to do ... i.e. kill openGL, because of the new direct-x 10, linus thrives on openGL hence why it looks so swish, and that's going to really drive the linux market...

... as for linux viruses, you've never heard of any?
well looking at one site ... i got a total of.. well lets display ever linux virus...

Linux.OSF.8759
Linux.RST
Worm.Linux.Adm
Worm.Linux.Cheese
Worm.Linux.Mighty
Worm.Linux.Ramen
Worm.Linux.Slapper

lol.

Awesome, yes?

Heres the issue, as firewalls, antiviral and security tightens, people will tend to attack the weakest link, and the more linux is embrased, the more it will get targeted, people build viruses to steal stuff these days, etc, and not for kicks like they use to.

anth
# Posted: 2 Dec 2006 04:10

Like i said before, there are plenty with anti virus software built in. I guessed there were some virus's, otherwise why bother adding anti virus apps in the OS?

That's a pretty short list! you'd still be copying and pasting now if you posted windows virus's, ad ware, scum ware, trojans, etc! :P

Vista is great, that will dent Linux i'm sure. I doubt it will kill it though. It will just limp along as it has still.

The whole reason Linux was brought up here was because some people stated they couldnt afford Vista, others have been put off by the fact that they cannot install it on their machines as many times as they like. Or they cannot regularly re format, due the the restriction of the Vista license.

I offered up Linux to those that had no cash for Vista, and might have wanted a change from what is starting to look like a very dated Windows XP.

That is one thing that has amazed me! After running Vista, XP looks and feels so damn old! :P

It is on par with jumping from Windows 98 to XP, remember how modern and swish XP looked?

aceman_67
# Posted: 6 Dec 2006 02:15

I like windows vista, I was using it when it was still in Beta (pre-release candidates), its smooth looking, and runs great on my rig, but I have to say, the EULA might keep me from getting it until Micro$ith drops support for XP.

My only other problem with Vista is its a Ram hog. You basically need a modern Gaming rig to run it effectively (Which I have).

Here's a screenie from my old Vista Desktop: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37587851

anth
# Posted: 6 Dec 2006 02:38

aceman : If you don't have a ton of Ram, or the best video card Vista will still run very well. It will just set itself up to suit your machine. For example Vista runs at level 1.0 on my PC rather than level 2.0 with all the graphics.

Even without all the fancy effects and themes, it's still very good, and fully usable. I said earlier in the thread, it has vastly improved how my PC runs when compared to doing simular tasks on XP.

Until i get the drivers for my video card working, and eventualy upgrade my Ram, the only practical part of Vista not open to me is the built in DVD creation app. The rest is purely cosmetic stuff.

I'm using the new Nero for DVD's. So it's no big deal for me.

david1
# Posted: 6 Dec 2006 03:59

<!--QuoteBegin--aceman_67+Dec. 06 2006,02:15--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (aceman_67 @ Dec. 06 2006,02:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->I like windows vista, I was using it when it was still in Beta (pre-release candidates), its smooth looking, and runs great on my rig, but I have to say, the EULA might keep me from getting it until Micro$ith drops support for XP.<br><br>My only other problem with Vista is its a Ram hog. You basically need a modern Gaming rig to run it effectively (Which I have).<br><br>Here's a screenie from my old Vista Desktop: <a href="http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37587851" target="_blank">http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37587851</a><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br>You should upgrade to RC1 or RC2 ... the beta ones where ram hogs, the proper rc's arn as much of hogs, yes theres issues, but they are much smoother *lol*

anth
# Posted: 6 Dec 2006 05:00

<!--QuoteBegin--aceman_67+Dec. 06 2006,02:15--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (aceman_67 @ Dec. 06 2006,02:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->but I have to say, the EULA might keep me from getting it until Micro$ith drops support for XP.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br>Microsoft only just dropped support for Win 98 this year! It'll be a long time before they drop XP.

aceman_67
# Posted: 6 Dec 2006 05:00

Vista is still a Ram hog, as were all before it, and all after it.<br><br>And I'm using RC1.<br><br>And my computer can run it rather decently<br><br><!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->System Information<br>Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 5600) (5600.vista_rc1.060829-2230)<br>Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+, ~2.0GHz<br>DirectX Version: DirectX 10<br>Physical RAM: 1022MB<br>Virtual Memory: 2047MB<br><br>Video Information<br>Video Card: ATI Technologies Inc. Radeon X1300 Series <br>Video Memory: 256 MB<br><br>Disp Settings: Philips 107B (107B2) | 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br><br>But I can't run Hi-Qual games the same way I can on XP<br><br>I can run CoD2 on XP at 1024x768 with all the nice stuff turned on, but on vista, its 800x600 at medium settings.<br><br>Same thing with the Sims 2, On xp, its 1024x768 @ max graphics, but on vista, its the same res, but medium settings and no anti-aliasing, which is normally maxed.<br><br>Vista boasts (According to PC Gamer) to be the gaming platform of the future. I have my doubts, unless you have a TOP OF THE LINE rig.<br><br><br>CL5 Phill <br><br><!--EDIT|aceman_67|Dec. 06 2006,05:33-->

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.029
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0