· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Multicultural Life Lessons
<< . 1 . 2 .
katrina
# Posted: 10 Nov 2006 14:03

And that's how I thought the greater portion of people felt. But apparently Polson's right. Americans are obsessed. At least the prevailing majority of the ones in my class.

A comment I love because of its extreme "huh" factor - we were discussing an essay that suggests bringing back public flogging would be a good idea - one of the guys in the corner of my class said he didn't think so. When my instructor asked him why he felt that way, his response was "Because it's racist."

Polson, I tease that way with my friend Sherry too since this class started. I've been telling her these stories and stuff and we've started this whole thing where she says I'm "tryin' to opress" her people and then I respond... whatever's fun. We do it in front of people. They stare at us openmouthed. It's wonderful.

polson
# Posted: 10 Nov 2006 18:42

Bria...:( my bad. *slinks out of your mind through your left ear then runs around and lets herself back in through the right ear*

Katrina...*nods* I mortify people sometimes with how "tactless" I seem.  I have a friend who has a lazy eye and her eyes aren't connected so she's always looking in different directions.  Actually, that's Josy, the halfbreed.  Anyway, I'd been her friend for a month when I finally said, "Josy, at this distance which eye do you look out of?  I can't tell who you're talking to, me or her."  Josy, being the blonde that she is, goes "I don't know!" and starts squinting at me one eye at a time until she figured it out.  And sometimes when I'm talking with her with other people I say, "Hey Josy, I'm over here!" and wave my hands at her.  I do it to freak everyone else out because I know that Josy's not even aware that it's a "disability".  She's never viewed it that way, it's never occured to her to view it that way, and I don't view it that way either.

People are people, not labels, brands, or otherwise.  I absolutely loved experiencing Michael's culture in song and dance (he was one of the boys from Africa from my school), or hearing the difference between French and the Hatian French language from a girl who grew up there as a missionary kid, or learning about how to haggle in Yemin.  People are story books.  It is so neat to open one up and see what's inside, but you can't do that until you stop judging the entire book by it's cover and start letting the cover be a part of them but not the meat of them.  In the end, we're all made of meat, aren't we.

Okay I'm done.  Really.

polson
# Posted: 10 Nov 2006 18:46

Big meatballs, that's what we are.

*l*  Okay NOW I'm done.

nicoll
# Posted: 11 Nov 2006 03:10

Wait a second, All this "don't judge a book by it's cover nonsense" is just no fun at all.

The cover is where all the pretty pictures are.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.021
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0