· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / What Holidays Do You Celebrate?
gates
# Posted: 5 Nov 2006 13:01

Ok, first off Holidays is hiring!!!  If you would like to help inform other OTFers about holidays through out the world, and learn more about them yourself, please apply through the Special Ops website!!!
Now, the main reason for this forum... With only two people doing research it's hard to get a sampling of holidays from all over the world.  We're not always aware of some holidays that take place in other countries, as you may have noticed... What I'm asking is that if you have a holiday you'd like to see on the updates board, let us know!!!  I request that you let us know a little before hand as we need time to research the holiday.  I think this will help OTF recognize more world holidays, and I hope you will help!!!  Thank you!

aeon
# Posted: 5 Nov 2006 15:32

Okies, there you go. These are the most important public holidays in Namibia, Africa

• March 21 - Independence Day
  • May 4 - Cassinga Day (the day when Namibians commemorate the fighters for independence at Heroes' Acre, in the capital city of Windhoek)
  • May 25 - Africa Day
  • August 26 - Heroes Day
  • December 10 - Human Rights Day

• sg_atlantis
    # Posted: 5 Nov 2006 22:08

Namibia? I thought you were German? :D (jk)

Anywho, I'd want to petition to have April 20th added to the Holidays listing! :o It is an important holiday for a culture, my culture...Plus, It's always fun to watch everyone get all self-righteous when it comes to this topic.  :)

Spam aside, :D

I do consider April Fools (4/1/<year>) an important holiday for the fun-loving troublemakers such as myself :D

Also, Buddha's Birthday May 27th 2007 (This year has already passed), an important day for the philosophy lovers I'm sure...I celebrate personally by making sure I do my yoga, that day. It also represents more than just the birth of a man, but the birth of a philosophy that would effect our culture far into the future. Such an effect on people should be honoured: like the birth of Jesus to Christians. It's date changes every year due to differences in the calender, just to let you know!

One more to consider is Diwali November 9 2007 (2006 it has already passed), aka Hindu Festival of Lights, which holds a rather educational significance as the Swastika is a major symbol of that holiday, and it helps to educate people that the symbol was stolen...and does not represent an evil, but just the opposite: it's name comes from Sanskrit (The language of Yoga is great learning tool if you're interested in languages.) "Svastika", from Su (Sv) meaning "Well" or "Good" and "Asti" meaning "Being". The date changes each year due to calender differences, just to let you know!

Mawlid An-Nabi, April 5th 2007 (This year's has already passed) is another important holiday for the Islamic faiths, Mawlid An-Nabi arabic for "The Birth of the Prophet", celebrates the prophet Muhammad's birthday. Celebration is somewhat...scattered however, in Turkey and Egypt this holiday is celebrated heavily, where as in Saudi Arabia it is almost completely ignored. The date changes due to differences in the calender system, just so you know!

Still I like seeing the diverse holidays on the calender such as the Ascension of Baha'ullah...It's always a great chance to educate others on different cultures! Keep up the good work Gates, and like I said, I'm coming to your aid with Holidays! :D

aeon
    # Posted: 6 Nov 2006 02:27

<!--QuoteBegin--sg_atlantis+Nov. 05 2006,22:08--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (sg_atlantis @ Nov. 05 2006,22:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->One more to consider is Diwali November 9 2007 (2006 it has already passed), aka Hindu Festival of Lights, which holds a rather educational significance as the Swastika is a major symbol of that holiday, and it helps to educate people that the symbol was stolen...and does not represent an evil, but just the opposite: it's name comes from Sanskrit (The language of Yoga is great learning tool if you're interested in languages.) "Svastika", from Su (Sv) meaning "Well" or "Good" and "Asti" meaning "Being". The date changes each year due to calender differences, just to let you know!<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br>H'mmm... I was going to post a 76800-character-long rant about the fact why we shouldn't celebrate this certain holiday. But then, I've read the Wikipedia article about 'Diwali'. All I can say is: I don't care if we celebrate this holiday or not.<br><br>But do me a favor, please. If you create the picture for the Updates Board... don't put a Swastika on it. Whether it's meant to be good or not, I... uhm... don't like this symbol very much. And you all know the reason why.<br><br>'nuff said, and: don't comment this, thanks!

citron
    # Posted: 10 Nov 2006 06:42

But Annie, anyone can comment if they wish.  By posting on a public forum, you invite comments,  etc.   :?

I think Diwali should be recognized.  For whatever reasons you have that you dislike this holiday, this is a huge holiday for billions of people.

skevington
    # Posted: 10 Nov 2006 07:40

What Dawn said...

I don't think there is a problem with the swastika as such and we must acknowledge that it has been used countless times throughout history for means other than oppression - as a religious symbol for example. It can be found constantly in Roman architecture. The swastika even sits upon a nations flag.

It has even been used by the British as a symbol for the boyscouts and unless the symbol itself is being placed on the updates board to support and symbolise oppression, then i fail to see the problem...

Dmitri

bria
    # Posted: 10 Nov 2006 13:18

I think you should celebrate a holiday because of the holiday, not the symbol used to represent it. If you really want to celebrate the holiday, if it really is about the holiday, then surely you can go without that symbol. If you want to celebrate it because of that symbol, because you feel you need to "educate" people... don't. You're going to offend a lot more people than you educate. And aside from that, surely, the point of celebrating something is to celebrate and not to educate people about controversial subjects?

Me, I'm German. I know that the Swastika, along with many other symbols, mythology, and so on, was misused by Hitler and his cronies. I understand and accept that, and so do most other Germans. If someone celebrates this holiday, and wants it on the Updates Board, fair enough. But I don't like seeing that symbol, and people are always going to associate it with Nazi Germany. And it's a very sore topic.

I don't have anything against celebrating the holiday. I am prepared to acknowledge and embrace other people's customs, and to respect them. But surely, whoever these people are can respect my wishes that the SYMBOL not be used? I don't think I'm alone in it... I don't think many Germans would appreciate seeing said symbol being used.

My two cents.

jaquaia
    # Posted: 11 Nov 2006 05:14

I know it's very short notice and not exactly a holiday but...

Armistice Day 11th November and
    Remembrance Sunday 12th November this year

Whether we agree with any War or not, I feel it's important to remember the war dead, be they our lads or the enemy. This is just how we remember them in the UK, that's all!

citron
    # Posted: 11 Nov 2006 05:58

I do think holidays does do something for November 11th.  If not, they really should.  No matter what you call it (Remembrance Day, Veterans Day, Armistice Day, etc), we celebrate and remember those who fought for us, in whatever country we should be in.

jaquaia
    # Posted: 11 Nov 2006 06:43

I just checked the calendar and there's nothing down for the 11th, which is a little surprising really.

lzrman
    # Posted: 11 Nov 2006 15:26

I Celebrate "Iain Day" and "Naberrie Day"

Other then that, there is no more holidays I enjoy most ;)

:k

gates
    # Posted: 12 Nov 2006 19:47

<!--QuoteBegin--jaquaia+Nov. 11 2006,06:43--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (jaquaia @ Nov. 11 2006,06:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->I just checked the calendar and there's nothing down for the 11th, which is a little surprising really.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br>If I knew how to edit the calender, there might have been...

sg_atlantis
    # Posted: 14 Nov 2006 20:15

Good god, are we seriously so caught up on a symbol as to give it the power and meaning that the people who used it incorrectly are just more in the right? That's like being called a devil worshiper for wearing a pentagram...The more people are offended and scared by these incorrectly used symbols, the more we give power to their incorrect meanings, am I right? :v I'd like to point out that the KKK used the Rebel flag as a symbol for their oppression and racism...but still we support it as a symbol of southern pride, and yet people end up being offended by it's showing because they automatically assume that by me having a shirt with a rebel flag on it I must be racist...It's ridiculous, hence why my shirt says "If this flag offends you, You need a history lesson." I say just don't give power to people like Hitler by recognizing his interpretation of a symbol of peace, you just make his beliefs ever more recognized and politically correct :P Either way, this thread is not the place to discuss this...Maybe I'll make a new thread in the general discussion or something. Sorry to hijack your thread Gatesables *hugs*

On the subject of holidays, I'm curious to see the interpretation of Thanksgiving...I continue to see very censored explanations of the history of that holiday...People seem to forget that we did actually kill people, we weren't always friends with our Native American brethren :D

-Amun

skevington
    # Posted: 15 Nov 2006 04:47

Amen, Brother Amun. :o  That is all i have say :)

Dmitri

citron
    # Posted: 15 Nov 2006 07:21

Well said, Amun. Thanks. :)

sg_atlantis
    # Posted: 16 Nov 2006 20:05

w00t! love! :D *accepts bribes for position changes* I'll debate anything you wish into the ground :k

Your reply
    Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
    Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.017
    Online now: Guests - 4
    Members - 0
    Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
    Guests - 215 / Members - 0