· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Send your name to Mars!
anth
# Posted: 8 Nov 2006 03:00

Send your Name to Mars!

Here's your chance to have your name etched on a DVD and sent to the surface of Mars onboard the Phoenix Lander bound for the Martian Arctic.

Not just any DVD either! This one is crammed full of special features. Not just your name!

It will be a history of Mars in our culture. Images, sketches of Mars, poems, stories, and video. Also included will be Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast.

You can add your name to this disc as long as you visit this link before Febuary 2007.

http://www.planetary.org/program....vd.html

The disc will then be joined to the Martian lander Phoenix.

My name is already on Mars twice. It's on a DVD on the landing section of the Spirit and Opportunity Mars Rovers. The certificate hangs proudly on my wall.

You do get a nice certificate when adding your name. Well worth printing out and keeping. You'll also get the chance to add other names, this could be friends or family of course.

A framed certificate makes a cool gift for Christmas etc. :)

cmdr_worf
# Posted: 8 Nov 2006 22:30

That's an enterprising way of funding a space mission! Maybe that's the future - litter the cosmos with pieces of plastic from Earth in the name of exploration, lol!

Qapla'!

anth
# Posted: 9 Nov 2006 02:41

Not really. It's free. It's a way of generating interest rather than money.

cmdr_worf
# Posted: 9 Nov 2006 22:16

Apologies Anth, I should really have clicked on and read the link before commenting. Call me a cynic - things usually cost money!
I've now signed up, and find it quite amazing to think that in the future, colonists may take the time out to research who I was! ;)

anth
# Posted: 10 Nov 2006 03:02

That's ok. *L* 99.9% of things do cost money!

I should of said it was free. :)

I can see all these "early" lander sites probably being like monuments or museums in the future. Maybe with the DVD playing!

But, talking of paying. A couple of novels i've read on the subject of manned missions to mars have had the public paying. Pay per view TV channels etc. Some of the cost could be got back that way. That and plastering Coca Cola etc all over their habitat module and Mars rover. *L*

rolly
# Posted: 10 Nov 2006 13:51

cool thats a good idea sending dvds to the surface of another planet :) but  i have a question are they also going to send a dvd player too so the martians can see them :?

anth
# Posted: 10 Nov 2006 14:35

*LOL* :D

No DVD player is on board, unfortunately.

But, if there is a Martian civilization on Mars right now, they are probably millions of years more advanced than us. So, they could even have their own HD TV's and may even have blu ray DVD players! Possibly even Playstation 3's! :P

strike playstation 3's off the list. They are probably not that far enough ahead of us to have those just yet.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.022
Online now: Guests - 10
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0