· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Star Trek:  Forty Years
brady
# Posted: 24 Nov 2006 04:11

As has already been mentioned, this year is Star Trek's fortieth year!  Feel free to share your thoughts on how it has impacted you here.  They say you can learn everything you need to know from Star Trek.  What do you think?

B

babel
# Posted: 2 Dec 2006 05:21

I'll give a considered response to this weekend. AND kick a few butts to ge tother responses, too ;)

skevington
# Posted: 2 Dec 2006 16:16

Interesting topic!

Well, where to start? Educationally the show has had an impact on me, it has in a way showed me the importance of life-long education and learning, that knowledge is quite possibly the greatest gift of all, and the most powerful.

The show has taught me understanding for other cultures, that just because someone holds a different opinion from me, or different belief... it does not make it wrong. A lesson we could all learn from at this point in time. And i think the episode 'Darmok' helps to perpetuate this.

It has taught me that there is no limit to what we can achieve if we apply ourselves to something...

It has also taught me that i should never wear a red-shirt because those people that wear them have extremely high mortality rates  :P

Dmitri

brady
# Posted: 5 Dec 2006 20:09

*L*  Interesting thoughts Lee.  

Trek has impacted me educationally too.  I started watching when I was pretty young, around 12 or so.  I didn't understand most of it then, I was more interested in space battles and the like.  But I developed an unusually expansive vocabulary for my age, having been exposed to 'adult language', and challenged by some words that are fictional (or theoretical) in retrospect, but nonetheless I was encouraged to seek out and understand unfamiliar words.  I think this passion for words continued throughout my schooling, and even now in University I really enjoy writing essays and conducting literature research.

B

matt
# Posted: 6 Dec 2006 05:11

lee  its not the red shirt thats the danger. look at picard riker sisko there all alive.  its just  being an ensign is like tring to    bust a  big time drug dealer and his lackies by yourself. LOL. thats why  star fleet dosent give out  insurence polcey's till u have 2 full pips on your coller... but then again not even that saved tasha yar *L*

im sure i said this before probally many times but all through out school i would come home after getting beat up or picked on or  god knows what else. I would turn on the TV and watch star trek and it gave me hope that maybe tomorrow id be seen as an equal not a circus freak, it gave me stringth to get out of bed every morning and face the day and it still does.

atar trek is very much apart of me. and my heart  and beliefs which also give me stringth are very much klingon.  i live my life on honor dignity loyality respect. there not just words there princapals ones i live buy daily as though it was a religion.  an all though it seems like u only hear these words in star trek, the human race may be a hell of alot better off if it started  believing in these ideals as well.

maybe im crazy,  *shugs*

Matt

anth
# Posted: 6 Dec 2006 05:31

Matt : You're not crazy. The world would be a much better place if those ideals were in place.

The majority of the worlds people would certainly benefit. The problem is that the minority pull the strings, and hold the power to effect our lifes the most. They would be worse off. Or at least with their narrow minded, and short sighted views, they would believe they would be worse off.

There's the problem. No incentive to put those ideals into place.

Imagine if we were visited by a alien race. They saw a world where hundreds, or even thousands of billions were spent on the means to wage war. While millions of people on the planet struggle to survive, or are just suffering through lack of means, or lack of care.

Just how primitive, backward, and savage would we appear to them?

The sad part is, the vast majority of people on Earth are not like that. It's just the people in power who are.

Star Trek, plus a couple of other historical events all combined to give me a life long interest in real life space exploration and Astronomy. I'm no brain box, so i myself have not gone on to great things in the space science field, or industries, beyond backyard astronomy. But, i have been an active publisiser for space exploration.

I've written in magazines and newspapers, given talks, and organized lectures for the public as a result of growing up, and loving Trek. So, who knows, maybe i influenced some bright young mind who will have what it takes to go on and make some important contribution.

One things for sure, many people working at NASA give Trek credit for bringing them into space exploration.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.013
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0