· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / OTF Space Wallpaper
anth
# Posted: 29 Nov 2006 08:46

OTF - Official Space Wallpapers

Welcome to this thread. Where you can pick what i hope will be some of the most attractive space wallpapers around.

These are not knowlingly existing wallpapers duplicated from other sites. I've collected these images over several years and worked on them in photoshop, turning them into images fit for your desk top.

Cos, i know i have members visiting here at OTF, those who appreciate the wonders of the cosmos. This is my way of saying thankyou to them all for their comments, and support.

The views here will be a mixture of old space mission imagery, and new, plus some views i've colourized ( as with many Mars Rover shots ), or ones which i create in 3d software. Hopefully you'll find something to interest you here.

I've also done this because when it comes to the look of my PC's desktop, i get bored! I never have anything staying the same for long! I supposed there may be some around with my problem too!

I've uploaded both 1024, and 800 resolution wallpapers. Also please be aware i'm using a free photo hosting site. If any links are missing, let me know if you wanted the wallpaper that's gone! ( and please no looking at my pics in my doss and saying, there's the missing link! :P )

So, please enjoy these images. :)

Planet Mercury - Mariner ( NASA / JPL )

Venus ( Enhanced, but natural colours ) from The Galileo Probe fly-by. ( NASA/JPL )

Libya Mountains - Mars - Mars Express ( ESA )

Enceladus ( Moon ) and the Planet Saturn - Cassini At Saturn ( NASA / JPL )

Mars - Victoria Crater Rim - Opportunity Mars Rover ( Brand new images! Hot from my colourizing in PS! ) ( NASA / JPL )

anth
# Posted: 29 Nov 2006 09:41

Planet Jupiter - Cassini Fly By Enroute to Saturn ( NASA/JPL)

lzrman
# Posted: 29 Nov 2006 13:52

Those look awesome!!! Thanks Anth

aeon
# Posted: 30 Nov 2006 04:19

Anth, you already know that I'm a huge fan of your thread, and now I'm a fan of this one, too. I've picked the Mercury wallpaper for my desktop, and it just looks amazing with the black theme I use for XP.

Thanks for all that you're doing. :)

anth
# Posted: 30 Nov 2006 07:42

Aeon & Lzr : Thanks loads. :)

I have the Mercury wallpaper. I'm running Windows Vista, which has a black bar, it does look nice. It's my favourite so far!

The Surface of Venus - Soviet "Venera" Lander

I'm really pleased with these. They might not be the most attractive. But, when you see the original images you'd never think of a wallpaper.

Thanks first to Don Mitchell, former Microsoft man, who in his retirement, aquired the raw data from the Russians and made these "cleaned up" versions of the Soviet Venus lander images.

Mitchells images were great, but still B&W. I've colourized them. Then removed the bland over exposed sky, replacing it with a cloudy detailed sky as you would see on venus.

My aim was to take real images of venus, but make it appear as it would if you were really standing there.

I think i managed it. I certainly made venus look as bleak and terrible as it should be in real life! :P

If all these images don't do it for you as wallpaper, they do make a great gallery for a "My Pictures" screen saver too. :)

More Surface wallpaper...

anth
# Posted: 5 Dec 2006 08:59

The Saturnian System - A Collection of Cassini images : Moon's Enceladus, Titan, and Planet Saturn

anth
# Posted: 18 Dec 2006 06:04

Mars Rover "Spirit" makes a mess of Martian sands

anth
# Posted: 19 Dec 2006 05:17

Stunning image from the Cassini Probe at Saturn

have to add this, i was awestruck at this image released this week. I would give anything to see this view with my own eyes. I've seen Saturn hundreds of times through my own telescope. I always dreamed of seeing up close.

Thanks to Cassini we can enjoy superb views such as this.

Latest images from the Hubble Space Telescope!

anth
# Posted: 23 Feb 2007 07:49

Saturn

This fantastic image from the Cassini space craft at Saturn was released today.

You may be interested to know saturn is very prominent in the night sky right now, and about the closest it gets to Earth. A modest telescope will show you the planet and its wonderful ring system. If you know anybody with a telescope, or live near a astronomical society ( just google for your nearest one ) i urge you to take a look, you will remember the first glimpse you ever had of Saturn with your own eyes for life!

Mars Rover

The Opportunity Mars Rover will in all likelyhood end its days inside Victoria Crater.

At present it is still exploring its rim. Snapping wonderful images such as this.

Rover operators state that they could drive on indefinately across the vast flat plains which are home to the rover, and never find such a place as this again. The deep crater holds a deep historic record of Mars.

However, the plucky Rover may not ever be able to climb out. It does though have months, or even years worth of targets to explore inside the crater.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.018
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0