· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Windows XP
lzrman
# Posted: 15 Feb 2007 13:30

I got myself a little delima here.  Before I re-installed windows xp professional on my desktop machine, I was able to access c:\documents and settings\user\ across the network while keeping its permissions as private for the desktop and allow user x from the  laptop machine access.

I cannot seem to find the area to set permissions on this folder.
I right clicked it and went to properties but there is no security tab.

I need some help here, if theres any technological geniuses out there who could lend me some help i'd love it greatly!

Lzrman

norrisa
# Posted: 15 Feb 2007 16:53

Is your user name registered as an administrator on the computer you are trying to access over the network?

Andrew

lzrman
# Posted: 15 Feb 2007 22:21

Yes, both the account i want to access and the account im using are both of the administrator group.

seele01
# Posted: 17 Feb 2007 00:20

Might be that you have Simple file Sharing selected.  I just turned it on and lost my security tab, switched it back off and and the security tab came back.

If you don't already know, tools/folder options, deselect simple file sharing.

Hope this helps.

lzrman
# Posted: 17 Feb 2007 22:40

Thanks! I'll Check it out.

I don't see it in folder options.

nm you have to few the folder options at the root, then disable them  there.

lzrman
# Posted: 18 Feb 2007 21:18

Thanks Seele!

lzrman
# Posted: 22 Feb 2007 22:32

Got one more problem :)

I finally got my Shared Documents shared via security.

Now how do I share a documents and settings user's folder :?!

Wheres the option so that when I double click this folder via the network it pop's up w/ a login to authenticate me?

seele01
# Posted: 23 Feb 2007 04:03

Under the sharing tab, there is a permissions button.  Have you tried that??  Should be able to select what perms a user has and maybe it forces the login.

I actually haven't tried this myself but that seems like a starting point.  If I had a LAN to try this on I would but the new PC is a few weeks away.

lzrman
# Posted: 23 Feb 2007 20:40

I removed everyone access and added administrators but theres no option for administrators on "other comp" its all administrators "compiwannaget filesfrom"

seele01
# Posted: 24 Feb 2007 21:36

Try using 'computer name/username' when you add the user from the other PC.  Otherwise you can probably search for all users in the network.  I did this on a VPN sort of thing once, added my friends user name from his PC.  Don't remember if that actually worked though...

Had a quick look, might be able to select the PC to search for user accounts on.

lzrman
# Posted: 24 Feb 2007 21:53

Clicking Location gives me the "desktop" but does not branch out to the other comps

david1
# Posted: 11 May 2007 09:52

A: have you set up the user to be shared?

just in case, and for anyone else....

goto

x:\Documents and Settings
assuming you want to share the users folder...
right-click on the folder ... e.g. god
click sharing and security
tick share this folder on network
give it a name i.e. god
tick allow users to modify files

and it should show up in network places as a folder. (If it doesnt, HINT: re-start, and disable firewall! and then load up network places, see if it appears) ...

lzrman
# Posted: 13 May 2007 22:08

Thanks David ;)!

david1
# Posted: 14 May 2007 04:00

Had you allready solved it? lol

lzrman
# Posted: 14 May 2007 19:38

ya long time ago ;) was thanking you for your efforts ;)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.040
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0