· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / Battlestar Galactica
anth
# Posted: 5 Mar 2007 03:52

After watching the last few episodes of Battlestar Galactica on the Sci Fi Channel. I have to say, what a load of rubbish!

I was always wary of this new version, but it had excellent special effects, some decent stories, and as a sci fi fan i stuck with it. I would even have called myself a fan of the show a year back. Nothing like as big a fan as i am of the old BSG, but still.

No wonder they pushed it to 10pm on a sunday! In the UK we have a whole bunch of TV shows such as EastEnders. Soaps, that feature dull rubbish, demestic violence, marriage breakdowns etc. If i wanted to watch that sad excuse for entertainment i would. I don't expect BSG to fool me into watching a show with content like that!

I am watching out of sheer loyalty to the BSG franchise right now nothing more than that. It is dull, boring, and the plots are ridiculous. Last week we actualy saw people starting to side with Boltar! Like anybody on the fleet wouldnt automatically use his so called book in the nearest public conveniance onboard ship, rather than read it.

Is the planned season finale build up so weak that they have to deliberately make it look better just by comparison to the rest of the dire episodes that came before it?

I got panned here at OTF by staying loyal to Star Trek and Enterprise. But surely it was not as bad as BSG?

Where's the fantastic action scenes these days? Where's the Cylons? For me, this show has always been trying to get where it is right now. It's always been leaning that way, but it had enough plot elements mixed in that were decent, and it was well made, it got away with it for a while.

BSG 1980 is better than this! at least it was a laugh, since Xena left its got even worse!

If you're a big (new) BSG fan please tell me whats good about this show these days?

I will be watching sundays show tonight. I'm praying it gets better.

aeon
# Posted: 5 Mar 2007 06:43

<!--QuoteBegin--anth+Mar. 05 2007,03:52--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (anth @ Mar. 05 2007,03:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->I got panned here at OTF by staying loyal to Star Trek and Enterprise. But surely it was not as bad as BSG?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--><br>No one must mock my <i>Enterprise</i>. It wasn't bad at all.<br><br>*wipes a little tear*

anth
# Posted: 5 Mar 2007 09:54

I like Enterprise. Always did. I felt like a lone voice at times defending it.

What was, and is annoying is hearing how great BSG is, how Ron Moore should make the next Trek, how the new Trek needs to be a BSG clone etc. When it is just boring, and dull, if they make Trek in the style of the new BSG i will scream!

I never quite saw how BSG was described as a succes compared to Enterprise. When Enterprise got many more viewers.

demonvamp
# Posted: 5 Mar 2007 11:24

I like it, but I don't love it and that's a big point in my book as it means if it went I wouldn't really care.

And you're right, where are the cylons? The news ones are scary but we only ever see the waxing lyrical human variety.

Oh well.

QD

anth
# Posted: 5 Mar 2007 14:46

QD : you hit the nail right on the head. I wouldnt really give a monkeys if it got cancelled. I watch cos i'm a sci fi fan. I also happen to think the visuals and cg effects are tremendous. But as for the show, and the characters, i would not miss them.

I don't identify with any characters, or particularly like the characters. I know the trend is for gritty, darker stuff these days, and for heroes to have a grey area surrounding how good or bad they are. But, Supernatural pulls it off. Those guys are very likable, proper heroes.

i'd go for a pint with Dean and Sam ( I'm sure the ladies would too. :P) , but i'd be far too depressed with Apollo and Starbuck.

demonvamp
# Posted: 5 Mar 2007 15:43

Supernatural is my favourite show right now by miles and just doesn't get the publicity it deserves.

I. Want. The. Impala!

Or Truckzilla...

May I direct any other supernatural fans thus:

http://community.livejournal.com/the_dean_show/

you're looking for the comic strip links to the left.

QD ;)

aquila
# Posted: 6 Mar 2007 03:37

weeeeeell, far be it for me to argue with anyone... :P... but still, you'll either love it or hate it.

personally I love it. mind you, there are a few things I've had issues with, ie - the fact that starbuck is a girl, not that I have things against girls, cos I loves you all ( and some more than others :P), and I also dislike the fact that despite the fact that the technology is better than the original, that we seem to have gone back to projectile ammunition instead of lasers.... but that aside...

... the first  year or so had weakish story lines, but you could tell it was building towards something... even though they seemed to be taking the original scripts and reshooting them with the new casts. But I must say that the latter half of season two and what I've seen of season three ( and dammit I've missed a couple of episodes!.. not happy Jan!;) they are just going from strength to strength, and getting better, so I'm now eagerly awaiting each episode that is screened on a sunday night, at 12:30am, mind you...

sooo... summing up... starts slow, but is getting good, hopefully will end up awesome.... but I still miss the original...

all in all I give it two thumbs up, but not everyone will agree... even though yer wrong :P

anth
# Posted: 6 Mar 2007 05:07

If we were living in 1979, i would agree with you. But this is 2007, and we're talking about the New BSG. :D

I hate where they are right now. With some slight tweaks, it could be a good show. It all went down hill with that stupid boxing episode a few weeks back. It has been at the bottom of the hill ever since.

I am simply saying, get away from the "Days of our lives" in space rut they are in now, and get back to some decent action! Maybe even make the Cylons threatening again, that would be a quite novel. :P

It used to say about the Cylons.."They have a plan" at the start of the episode. What plan is it? moping around on their ship bickering with each other? Maybe their plan is leave Galactica alone, they will slowly wipe themselves out fighting each other, drinking themselves into oblivion, or driving each other insane by nagging their husbands about going down to the bar for a drink etc. :D

The problem with the plot of Galactica is, it all hinges on them finding Earth. Once they have its really over. The old series had human colonies scattered throughout the galaxy which they ran into ( too many really, seems as they were meant to be the last *LOL* ) It had alot more scope for stories. The new BSG only has infighting, fighting the Cylons ( occasionaly ) and running out of something. The best plot elements are all tied in with finding a way to Earth. There's a limit to how long they can go with that before it gets old.

Please don't get me wrong, these posts are a mixture of me playing devils advocate, and me hoping they make the show into what it could be. I want it to be great, as a sci fi fan and a BSG fan.

lucient
# Posted: 6 Mar 2007 08:33

!!!!!SPOILER AHEAD!!!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED ALL THE EPISODES RELEASED AS OF YET

I have been a huge fan of the new version of the show since it began to reair (especially since I wasn't born until 1984 and therefor never saw the origional version.)  I was dissapointed with how they killed off both Lucy Lawless' character and then the death of 'Starbuck' on this most recent episode.  I think BSG is trying to pull a LOST and show that they aren't affraid to kill of a main character.

They need to stick to their own storylines, get back to fighting the cylons, and go from there.

crazytexan
# Posted: 6 Mar 2007 09:02

I agree that the current seaon has slowed down a bit since the Colonials left New Caprica at the start of the season. There were loose ends that needed to be tied up there and now the show is more focused on character development as the fleet recovers from their last major encounter with the Cylons as the fleet continues on their mission to find Earth.

And when the Colonials do find Earth, please don't make it as bad as "Galactica: 1980" I'm just sayin'...

Sure it's dark, depressing, and at times several episodes have been ho-hum, but it is still better than most of the rubbish that is out there. It's the human condition with a mix of current event issues thrown in for dramatic effect. Most of the time it works, other times you get the "slower" eps.

I'd like to see more space battles, action, and intense drama, but character development and getting backstory on the main characters isn't so bad either. In a way it's becoming somewhat like "Lost" but with three episodes left this season I'm sure we'll see some shocking revelations, and will leave us wanting more.

At least the new BSG doesn't reuse the same stock battle footage in every episode. Cylon fighters attack, Galatica launches fighters, shot changes to inside of Cylon raider, red shirt Clyon orders the fighters to attack, "By your command", Galactica vipers wipe out the Cylons, boom! Zap! Yay! vipers return, and the story progresses from there...

And I thought the viewers were supposed to get a backstory/history on the Cylons this season? Hopefully this is forthcoming and will bring you back into the show Anth, et all. :) "Enterprise" had a really slow third season (The Xindi story arc) and then improved in the fourth, so give it time...

demonvamp
# Posted: 6 Mar 2007 10:28

OMG the boxing ep. As soon as I saw the premise of this I had a sinking feeling and I wasn't disappointed. In the end I actually began fast forwarding just so I could go to bed.

That aside, and after reading more of everyone's points, I'd just like to reiterate I don't hate it, it just won't let me in. In most shows, even with murky grey areas, there are redeeming characters you can empathise with despite their major flaws. BSG doesn't seem to have that because beyond their flaws there's nothing loveable.

Whereas in Lost, or SG1 you might forgive a major error, in BSG I just end up thinking, what a twit.

I think the best character is Athena, she's the only one with depth and yet we just seem to be brushing her aside this season.

Oh well, maybe a cut to thirteen episodes will buck the trend.

QD

anth
# Posted: 6 Mar 2007 11:57

QD : You're really thinking what i'm thinking. I've tried to explain it, but the bottom line is, i do not actualy like anybody in it. I totally agree with your points on Athena.

I came close to liking Admiral Adama, but i've even gone off him now as well. I used to like the chief. But he seems to have gone like the others now. If i had to pick, i'd say Athena is my favourite.

Its frustrating for me, because i really, really, want to like this show alot.

What with SG1 finishing, and no Trek, my space based sci fi viewing is starting to look a bit light weight.

At least i have Atlantis, Heroes, Lost, Supernatural, and Smallville though.

CT : I was laughing at your description of the old Galactica. :D

can you really say, hand on heart, that you did not just adore Dr Zee and the "Super Scouts" from Galactica 1980! There's no pleasing some people! They never induced cringing of any kind, ever. :P

There cannot be a person alive who didnt like Troy and Dillon's flying motorbikes though.

demonvamp
# Posted: 6 Mar 2007 14:45

It's the Milky bar kid! :D

I just caught the tail end of a BSG 1980 this evening and I'm sorry, but it's so bad it's good :D

Who can not love Troy Farscape Crichten's dad Boxy- whatever, and Dillion Dick Van Diagnosis Murder's Dyke's son!

Puffy windcheaters for the win!

QD

anth
# Posted: 7 Mar 2007 03:39

QD : Don't tell anybody, but i like Galactica 1980. I have the entire series on DVD. It is definately in the "so bad it good/funny" category. "Dillion Dick Van Diagnosis Murder's Dyke's son" has had a hell of a nose job when you compare him in both shows too. :D

And the Milky bar kid who played Dr Zee, was replaced after the pilot, with an even more irritating boy.

Actualy, the last episode is great. The Return of Starbuck. It's a must see.

I saw this weeks new BSG last night. It was slightly better than recent weeks. At least we got to see an imaginary Cylon ship, and some Viper action. The plot was a bit convoluted i felt. Hopefully it will be unravelled in coming weeks.

I have nothing against involved plots, i enjoy being intriqued, and slowly finding out answers. I wouldnt watch Lost or Heroes if i did mind.

All i objected too was the soap opera type stories. There are many "ship in a bottle" Trek episodes i like a lot. I do not have to have action sequences to enjoy a show. Other shows manage to develop characters in ways other than showing their marriage problems, or all their many personal problems.

demonvamp
# Posted: 7 Mar 2007 10:08

Return of Starbuck is one of the best episodes of any BSG, I won't hear anyone say different ;)

QD, who recently lost the sky channels  :o  and now may lag slightly... :k

quincyw
# Posted: 10 Mar 2007 22:16

I shall now proceed to tell you why BSG 2004 doesn't work, or rather, what it's constrained by. It's not the search for Earth.

It's the fact that humans created the Cylons.

We tend to overlook this one little fact, despite the fact it stares at us each time we view an episode.

All of a sudden, it's no longer humanity fighting for survival against an enemy; it's is humanity getting payback for its sins. What is existence and religion and all the other themes represented in the show.

When we move from the pure action episodes (eg Pegasus etc), it turns into this moralistic morass that made me hit fast forward on my DVD player.

Think about it for a minute.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.023
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0