· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / This Island Earth
anth
# Posted: 7 Mar 2007 04:21

This Island Earth

I chose to call my site This Island Earth because i felt it conjured up the right image. The Solar System is like a small sea in the vast cosmos. When you look at the big picture of the Galaxy that is. The worlds in our suns family are bunched together like a chain of islands from that perspective.

Our exploration of them will be like setting off in a small boat  just as the islands of the pacific were slowly explored and even colonized.

http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth

The idea behind the site is something i've wanted to do for a long time. It's a single place to store all my original work regarding images of the Solar System. Infact, i have a no use policy for the images you may see online already. If i can't enhance an image, or create something totally unique, you will not see it on the site.

Everything on there is put together by me. Unless an image is needed for demonstration purposes that is.

So, there's no hotlinking to NASA sites, no simply using nice pictures released to pad out the site. That's been done thousands of times i feel, so what's the point?

It's a place where you'll find my own photography, 3d computer generated solar system views, or landscapes, enhanced space mission imagery, and hopefully soon, animations and films i've put together. It is constantly updated. So, chancees are if you visit every few days there will be something new and different to see.

here's some examples of what i'm doing over at the site...

A recent NASA released image from the Jupiter flypast by the New Horizon's probe.

The image that appears on my site. Worked on to produce a different view.

3d computer generated views of the solar system. Plus animation video files.

Taking data from space craft and using available software to create unique views, which unveil the worlds they are visiting. Such as this view of Saturns moon Titan.

My own photography here. The Sun, with Sunspots on show. I'm hoping this section will take on the most important role at the site. After all, its the ultimate in unique and original imaging.

Well, you know me. It wouldnt be any site of mine without the Red Planet. I'll be showing my coloured martian views taken from NASA's black and white "raw" image libraries. As i have on these forums.

Your Images

I would like to feature anybodies work on the site. We live on a planet in the solar system obviously. So imaging a planet is as easy as stepping outside!

I want to add an Earth section very soon. Showing scenery, natural elements such as weather events, rainbows, lightening, sunsets etc. I don't want pictures of shopping malls or anything. But nature, or the natural world would be fantastic.

it's also probably easier than you imagine to take pictures of the night sky, or celestial objects such as the moon ( please dont try to take pictures of the Sun, unless you do comprehensive research. i used special protective mylar film, the stuff they wrap around space craft to protect them for my image. )

So, if you're interested in having a look, i welcome you to my site. or if you'd like to contribute to it please do. it will be a  rewarding effort to bring something new and unique to people. An interesting branch of OTF.

Please submit pictures along with a brief write up about the image you've taken if you'd like to get involved. :)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.029
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0