· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Archived Topics / UK Union 08 - Crewe
demonslayer
# Posted: 20 Apr 2007 15:27

Karen and Ice are thinking about running a UK Union in Crewe.  It will be sometime in July 08 (they did suggest earlier, but people would still be at school for exams)
Does anyone have a prefered date?

ice
# Posted: 23 Apr 2007 06:06

Karen is the one dealing with it all I just agree & nod :P By demand of Karen, Demon Slayer & everyone else in tenforward at the time, I have built a website for it (content supplied via karen), you can visit it by clicking Here...be warned...my Dot Monsters are Carnivores & tend to enjoy OTF Patrons :D

kelly_flyer_sun
# Posted: 23 Apr 2007 11:48

I know Kaz and Mike already know this but i thought i would make a comment just to say i'm going!

amy

skevington
# Posted: 23 Apr 2007 13:48

Where IS Crewe exactly? =p

Dmitri

ice
# Posted: 24 Apr 2007 00:29

Exactly? Latitude: 53.1018; Longitude: -2.442

But.. its the center of the UK train systems, all trains from scotland to long pass through it :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crewe

Specifically look at transport :

Crewe railway station is less than a mile from Crewe town centre, although politically it was not incorporated into the then-Borough of Crewe until 1937. It is one of the largest stations in north-west England and a major interchange station on the West Coast Main Line, and has 12 platforms in use and has a direct service to London (Euston) (2/hour, the average duration is now 1 hour 45 minutes), Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Cardiff, Stoke-on-Trent and many other cities.

It is on the A530 and A534 and less than 10 miles from the M6 motorway.

The main bus company in Crewe is Arriva, which operates in Crewe and the surrounding towns, villages.

First PMT operates bus service 20 from Hanley to Leighton Hospital every twenty minutes.

Regards,
Ice

P.S Hope that answers your question :P

skevington
# Posted: 24 Apr 2007 14:17

Sure, but why Crewe? I can understand London, Bristol, or various other busy city type areas... but Crewe? =p

demonslayer
# Posted: 24 Apr 2007 14:33

It's called Variety.  Not everyone wants to do London over and over again.

So far we have had about 9 unions in London, 2 in Manchester, 1 in Chesterfield, and soon to be Glasgow also

ice
# Posted: 24 Apr 2007 23:30

Few other reasons...

1) Crewe is home to lots of OTF patrons including : Myself, Karen, Neo Sielu (Gav), Iko (Jenni), DAR (from a while back), 007 (Barry) and a few more which could be "rounded" up for the occasion.

2) Crewe is extremely central which means no matter who comes were guaranteed to be able to find something for everyone & the ability (if wanted) to split into groups to do different activities.

3) Its somewhere new :P With it being a central location is means people from all over can get here easy for example : To get to a london meet from scotland is more different than to Crewe, And to get to a glasgow meet from London is harder than Crewe, being centralized opens the window of opportunity for members to join in.

4) The advantages of City meets are quiet easily "Lots to do" Crewe alots for this not only with activities at night but a wide range of places to go during the day with very little travel involved, it also gives members a chance to meet without the "hussle"  & "bustle" of bigtime city life.

Just my few cents :P

christena
# Posted: 26 Apr 2007 19:00

The only thing that  concerns  me is that airfare for us  Americans is like sky high in July to the UK.. JUne,July and August are the  most expensive months to   pop over :(

demonslayer
# Posted: 27 Apr 2007 04:26

I normaly run unions during two periods of the year.
Easter holidays around april, and half term break in november-ish.
Maybe thats a cheaper time for out of town peeps? :P

atlantis27
# Posted: 18 Jul 2007 11:25

Crewe is also half an hour from where i live (i work there). I will be there!

So, assuming i can con the parents into going on holiday for a fortnight, House Atlantis will be open for residence of people who i know quite well (and ask nicely).

Also, it's quite easy to get to Crewe from the nearby airports of Manchester, Birmingham, and EMA-Nottingham.

Aswell as that, we wouldn't be constricted to one town. Crewe has many other towns near it, with their own highlights (Newcastle*, Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, etc)

EDIT: That's Newcastle-under-Lyme, NOT the big city up north

david1
# Posted: 19 Jul 2007 00:13

Im so there!

Im just an hour away from crewe on the train. lol.

As long as its a weekend, ill be there gaurenteed. And i dont mind when the union occours, we could have one next weekend if desired =) lol

- XZ

demonslayer
# Posted: 14 Jun 2008 12:16

As I haven't heared any new news about this Union, I will change the Status to TBA.

imladris205
# Posted: 15 Jun 2008 10:13

Hey, how long do unions last for, just a weekend?

dierna
# Posted: 15 Jun 2008 23:50

Wish I could go but alas it costs $800 just for a ticket to Utah these days. I can't even afford to go home this summer cuz of the fraking gas prices...

monny
# Posted: 16 Jun 2008 09:15

Hey DS,

Maybe you could postpone it till next year. We definately cannot make it this year and judging by the lack of response, neither can anyone else.

We will stop by the Hoochie Mama Cruise Amsterdam in August so if you're coming we'll see ya there!
I'll keep an eye out for updates.
Later,
V

demonslayer
# Posted: 18 Jun 2008 06:09 · Edited by: demonslayer

imladris205
Unions can be from one day to a week. It all depends on the organiser.

Monny
The Crewe Union is organised by Karen and Ice.
As I havent heared anything from them, then I presume its a no go. But I'll leave it up till I hear from one of them.

All
At the moment I am working on organising the 10Th Anniversary Union in Las Vegas for Summer 2009 (Keep a look out on the forums)

fat_man
# Posted: 18 Jun 2008 07:14

Dublin '09 > vegas '09

for one thing cheaper to go to!

majin_fett
# Posted: 18 Jun 2008 16:17

Not that I said I was going, but Vegas is cheaper for us U.S. people.

fat_man
# Posted: 18 Jun 2008 18:00

i meant with all the gambling =(

demonslayer
# Posted: 20 Jun 2008 07:11

Fat Man

Didnt even know of the Dublin 2009 Union.
The organiser(s) hasnt passed any info to me to put out to the site to advertise.

david1
# Posted: 20 Jun 2008 15:34

i just passed through crewe today, then again, dublin is a short hop accross the water, easy for a day trip for me haha

Im so bored.

fat_man
# Posted: 21 Jun 2008 00:51

david why not pass through glasgow huh? =@

david1
# Posted: 21 Jun 2008 11:33

funny you mention glasgow.... i might be up there in 4 weeks if I can quit tesco

fat_man
# Posted: 21 Jun 2008 14:48

yes you must quit tesco. it is fail

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.022
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0