# Posted: 16 Jul 2007 14:14
The truth is out there. And now, so too is a release date.
David Duchovny has given credence to the persevering rumors that a second X-Files movie was in the works, telling reporters at Saturday's Television Critics Association tour that production on the long-gestating project could kick off as early as November.
"I'm supposed to see a script next week," he said during a session promoting his new Showtime show, Californication. "I'm actually supposed to see it next week. Before I would just say that because they told me."
Duchovny reports that the Scully to his Mulder, Gillian Anderson, will reprise her FBI agent/skeptic role, and series creator Chris Carter is due back to direct and cowrite the film with series vet Frank Spotnitz.
"Chris is going to direct it. Gillian is on board and I'm on board," he said. "I've been talking to Chris and he has been giving me progress reports. He actually called yesterday and said next week you should have something to read.
"I'm really looking forward to seeing what he did."
Production will likely ramp up after that, with Duchovny anticipating getting in front of the cameras as early as this fall.
"I think it's November for a summer  release," he said.
While details of the script are being kept mum, Duchovny said it's being written as a one-off story.
Last April, in an interview with Britain's Empire magazine, Anderson said that film would stay away from the series' (and first film's) sometimes tortured mythology.
"All Chris says is that he wants to make a really scary horror, like a stand-alone episode," said Anderson, who has kept busy with film work, including last year's The Last King of Scotland. "I don't think they're interested in touching on any of the conspiracy stuff."
The first X-Files movie hit the big screen in a big way in 1998, grossing $30.1 million its opening weekend and going on to rake in more than $189 million worldwide, with more than half of its gross coming from abroad. But the follow-up has hit quite a few bugaboos on its way back to the multiplex.
In 2005, when reports of a sequel were again revving up, tensions between Carter and 20th Century Fox boiled over, with the creator taking legal action that effectively put into development purgatory any planned projects. Carter filed a breach-of-contract suit against the studio, claiming contractual interference with the TV series, which ran on Fox from 1993-2002, and alleging that he was shortchanged for his contribution to the show after the studio viewed his deal as "too favorable."
The lawsuit, however, was recently settled out of court and the sequel now seems primed for production.
In the meantime, Duchovny will hit the small screen in his new Showtime comedy series, Californication. He plays a novelist struggling with his private life in the show, which premieres on the cable net Aug. 13.
Dierna note: I'll believe this when I see the posters and trailers...