· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Television Discussions / Revealing the Doctor
supernova
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 07:56

so got a post on facebook from the Doctor Who page saying that on Sunday on BBC 1 (7pm) and BBC America (2/1c) there will be a one off live television event revealing the twelfth doctor......

surprised they've kept it quiet this long..

It's supposed to be a half hour show,

which seeing as they like newibie ish actors would be intimidating, i like that they choose mildly unknowns that have some experience

anyhoo here's the link
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/The- Next-Doctor-will-be-revealed-on-Sunday-04-August

quincyw
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 08:52

We already know the Doctor's name and from that, know who will play, if not Twelve, then Thirteen. Any true fan already knows this.

And no, it has nothing to do with "Doctor".

supernova
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 14:26

only 'true' fans know who will be playing the doctor after matt smith?
that's really really.....

the lost regeneration possible Time War doctor is known as Hurt

But I don't have a psychic line to the true 12/13th it depends how they do the show, and how the reveals go,

i'm not psychic and was only commenting on the fact that there's a 30 minute reveal show.

bry0n31337
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 15:00

Is laughable when others attack people saying they arent a true fan. Instead of talking about the show you choose to attack o n es credibility. Thumbs up guy smooth.. Way to be welcoming to new members.

trekkey
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 19:57

Quoting: quincyw
We already know the Doctor's name and from that, know who will play, if not Twelve, then Thirteen. Any true fan already knows this.

Perhaps you could enlighten those of us who aren't "true fans"?

7of24
# Posted: 2 Aug 2013 21:29

yeah really, I have been a huge fan since the 9th doctor, but that doesnt mean Im any less a true fan of the show, I couldnt really see alot of the earlier series of doctor who but I have checked out dvds of earlier doctor who when I could from the library. and I would love to see who takes over for Matt Smith.

quincyw
# Posted: 3 Aug 2013 04:10

Quoting: bry0n31337
Is laughable when others attack people saying they arent a true fan. Instead of talking about the show you choose to attack o n es credibility. Thumbs up guy smooth.. Way to be welcoming to new members.

It started a discussion, didn't it? Besides, everyone has their own theories about who the Doctor is, or was, or will be. Eventually. Previously.

Which, again, if you are a true fan of the show, is called spoilers. I say that with relish and too much irony.

Quoting: trekkey
Quoting: quincywWe already know the Doctor's name and from that, know who will play, if not Twelve, then Thirteen. Any true fan already knows this.Perhaps you could enlighten those of us who aren't "true fans"?

Anyone who remembers that back in the 60s-80s the show existed. The name dropping of "Valeyard" was a big hint in that direction, but is mostly red herring, although will be a hint before the run of Doctor Who ends... Right before they break the rules again.

I'm finally glad to see The Moff (Steven Moffatt) paid attention to canonical continuity in this regard, because then I'll hold up my classic collection DVDs. And my copy of "Who-ology" because as a fan of original and new series, it didn't quite occur to me who the Doctor was until I'd read it.

This particular serial was broadcast in 1989.

And this is how I know who the next (or after) Doctor will be played by. And this part is a joke. The name part isn't.

quincyw
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 02:22 · Edited by: quincyw

And once again I must reply to my own posts.

The good thing that we're seeing currently with these forums is that things are picking up. Discussions start. The problem is the lack of suitable talking points.

Had I not said anything, this thread would have turned into (actor) is the Twelfth Doctor. Hurrah! Another person jumps in going "would be interesting", a third might note that (actor) was in this production and would make a good selection.

If you don't believe me that this is the response, this would be all, then look back through the threads.

So, a "personal" level apology to Supernova, for apparently steamrolling him/her. And a "general" apology to anyone that feels slighted by my comments.

But that said, it's generated debate and discussion, hasn't it? I've broken the eggs, now I'm making an omelette. I fully and readily acknowledge I'm not the easiest to get along with, but I'm making controversy and I'm making people think about it.

So I apologise to all and sundry if I've offended you. However, no one's going to try and refute me? Fine, I'll do it myself.

How can you still continue to insist the Doctor's real name (identity) is (name removed)?

Simple. I have noted the episode, or given enough hints in my previous post. I'm not going to post the name out loud, or the episode, but it's easy enough to discuss.

The Doctor is explicitly identified as (name removed) in that episode. The Doctor does not bat an eyelid or deny this. Similarly, in said episode, the claim is not made third party, where the legend could have become distorted, but by an original source.

But how can you be so sure? What other evidence do you have?

Since most people haven't seen Classic Series, let's look at the evidence from New Series. To wit, Clara, from Journey to the center of the TARDIS. She enters the TARDIS library and (from memory), reads a book entitled the history of the Time War. She has a slightly pleasantly surprised look and says "so that's his real name!"

Yes, Clara has been part of the Doctor's time stream but therein lies another thing. The Clara's don't interact. As far as can be told, each is self contained, albeit with very similar characteristics and personality.

This is "our" Clara, contemporary late 20th, early 21st century. Even if we assume a passing knowledge of Earth history, the Doctor's true name does not surprise her too much and is heavily implied to be common enough (a household name) that she accepts it as fact and move on.

True, but that still doesn't preclude the fact that it begins with "Doctor". Surely your argument has lost all steam now even if the Doctor himself says "Doctor who at the end of The Wedding of River Song

Then let's look at Earth history. I have already noted Clara's mild surprise at it being common enough that she accepts it. How many famous Doctors can you name?

Martin Luther King Jr. Zhivago. Jekyll. Mario. Pepper. Fotheringown. Oz. (And plenty more)

Apart from Doctor King, I can't really think of a famous Doctor that's also a household name and have changed the world... That could also conceivably have fought in the Time War.

Anyone else have any questions?

supernova
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 07:46

The point of ths forum is to open forum topics, whther they are answered or not, can you predict the future?
more likely it could of turned into a what do you think of this new doctor and we could of discussed the actor/ress happily
instead you hijacked this thread for whatever means of your own
what do you expect to happen except kill a thread when you take it over in such a manner?

quincyw
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 11:52

That people are too afraid of opening their doors to their neighbours and the community in general. That cooperation and the free sharing of ideas has made people scared of sticking out their necks on anything for fear of offence.

It's emblematic of 10F that people are willing to let the status quo be instead of challenging, of pushing forward. Let someone else make the changes, to stay quiet and not do anything to upset anyone.

Okay then, have it your way. Can someone please delete my posts?

trekkey
# Posted: 4 Aug 2013 19:24

Quoting: quincyw
That people are too afraid of opening their doors to their neighbours and the community in general. That cooperation and the free sharing of ideas has made people scared of sticking out their necks on anything for fear of offence.

You don't have to be offensive to offer those kinds of ideas, though. It was entirely unnecessary for you to open the discussion by insulting anyone who hasn't watched classic Doctor Who. Then when I asked you to summarize your theory for those of us who hadn't watched classic DW, you didn't really answer the question. You referred to the Valeyard, but that's something "non fans" wouldn't understand... and then you get annoyed and blame the community when no one has offered to refute your point despite the fact that you won't provide anyone with clear information.

I'm perfectly open to discussion. What I'm less open to is discussion being conducted in an indirect and slightly antagonistic manner.

david1
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 00:52

-__-

david1
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 00:55

The Valeyard was, according to the Master, "an amalgamation of the darker side of the Doctor's nature". (TV: The Ultimate Foe) In one account, the Master stated, "The Valeyard, Doctor, is your penultimate reincarnation... Somewhere between your twelfth and final regeneration," although other accounts varied. The Great Intelligence also stated the Valeyard would be one of the Doctor's future names.

Wiki <3

trekkey
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 02:33

I'm actually familiar with the Valeyard having looked it up a while ago. All the clues he presented are easy enough to look up, it's more the principle of the thing - the way he put forward those clues - that bothered me. It seemed rather elitist. Why wouldn't you just present the information like david has?

Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm simply trying to explain that the way qunicy approached the topic probably wasn't an effective way of inviting people into a discussion.

david1
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 04:25

Some people just like to watch the world burn.

supernova
# Posted: 5 Aug 2013 11:21

would like to point all Doctor Who fans to Mr Peter Capaldi's video

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/video/peter-capa ldi-doctor-who-belongs-to-all-of-us-everyone-made- doctor-who

entitled "DOCTOR WHO BELONGS TO ALL OF US. EVERYONE MADE DOCTOR WHO"

which says it all
you can't 'claim' a show

and by the claim of elitism of watching doctor who in the early days and knowing it all thereby in your own definition you can only be a true fan if you watched the Doctor from his very first episode

November 23rd 1963 - which as my Dad tells me was when The Doctor was just a funny old future human who owned a funny blue box that traveled in time.

so as Peter Capaldi says the Doctor is for all of us, be you just looking at your first episode or a fan from the very start,

I agree with Trekkey it's about how you debate,
as David has said some people like to watch the world burn, and don't even realize lighting the match has lost them everything

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.044
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0