· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Gossip Corner / G.I. Joe is a Go!
dierna
# Posted: 23 Aug 2007 22:56

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070824/film_nm/gijoe_ dc_1

Call it "G.I. Go." Paramount Pictures finally has mobilized "G.I. Joe," hiring the director of the "Mummy" movies to shoot a live-action film based on the popular Hasbro military action figures.

"G.I. Joe" had long been in development at Paramount, though it gained traction thanks in part to "Transformers," the hit summer movie based on another Hasbro toy line.

While G.I. Joe toys have been around for decades, the movie will be based on the toy line launched in the 1980s, which also was tied to a Saturday morning cartoon and comic book series.

Director Stephen Sommers' take was inspired by a trip to Hasbro's headquarters in Rhode Island, where he learned in depth about the world of G.I. Joe. Sommers then met with Paramount brass, who sparked to his ideas. The studio is eyeing a summer 2009 release.

The film will see soldiers from all branches of the military fighting a terrorist group called Cobra, led by the Cobra Commander and featuring such villains as the Baroness, metal-faced arms dealer Destro, master of disguise Zartan and biker gang Dreadnoks.

On the good guys' side were heroes such as the mute ninja Snake Eyes and the fetching heroine Scarlett, who were led by a Joe named Duke.

The full name of the '80s toy line was G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, but in a reflection of the global nature of tentpoles and current geopolitical climate, the Yankee nature of the strike force is being dropped, with the team now having an international flavor.

Dierna note: I suppose it makes sense for G.I Joe to be international...but anyways... GOO Kobra!!

quincyw
# Posted: 24 Aug 2007 03:25

Cobra. <i>Cobraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!</i> Cobra. <i>Cobraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!</i>

I'm not sure if I want this movie. Transformers is a frakking awesome movie, but it's... Not that slightly camp, wonderful little piece of the cartoon.

And my perennial favourite, Robotech... Let's just say <i>Shadow Chronicles</i> shouldn't have happened.

But GI Joe is different. I was watching my old VHS tapes of the Cantonese dubs of the 80s (dating back to about 1985! ) of The MASS Experiment... And nothing can beat the original. Ever.

And if they don't put the original theme in, I'm walking out of the theatre. Hands down, the theme has got to be included.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.021
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0