· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Gossip Corner / Upcoming Disney films... 10 of em!
dierna
# Posted: 9 Apr 2008 14:36

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/film_nm/disney _dc_1

The Walt Disney Studios previewed 10 animated movies on Monday that it will release during the next four years, including further installments in the "Toy Story" and "Cars" series and two new fairy tales.

With the exception of "Wall.E," a robot love story opening on June 28, and "The Princess and the Frog," a hand-drawn animated fairy tale set in New Orleans and due to open Christmas 2009, the remaining eight movies will be made in digital 3-D.

"We're excited to be pushing the boundaries of 3-D and computer technology to tell our stories in the best possible way," said John Lasseter, chief creative officer for Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios.

Digital 3-D still requires moviegoers to wear geeky glasses, but the left- and right-eye images are calibrated so finely that most viewers experience no headache or eyestrain.

The first Disney digital 3-D movie for release is:

"Bolt," the story of a dog of the same name who thinks he has superhero powers. John Travolta gives voice to Bolt while hit teen singer/actress Miley Cyrus is voicing Bolt's owner Penny in the movie, due to open on November 26.

Dierna note: So Bolt thinks he's Wonderdog???

"Up," the story of an unlikely 78-year-old adventurer and his 8-year-old sidekick, is due to be released on May 29, 2009.

Dierna note: Found more info on this on Wikipedia:
"A coming-of-old-age story" about a seventy-something guy who lives in a house that "looks like your grandparents' house smelled." He befriends a clueless young Wilderness Ranger and gets into lots of altercations. Says Pixar: "Our hero travels the globe, fights beasts and villains and eats dinner at 3:30 in the afternoon."

"Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" are due to be re-released in digital 3-D on October 2, 2009 and February 12, 2010 respectively, while "Toy Story 3" is due to hit screens on June 18, 2010.

All the original cast from the previous "Toy Story" films, including Tom Hanks, Tim Allen and Joan Cusack, are returning for the third film, which picks up with Andy grown up and about the head off to college.

Dierna note: ALL the original cast?! That's impossible unless Jim Varney's ghost or zombie showed up to the casting sessions...or they cloned him.

The classic Brothers Grimm fairy tale "Rapunzel," about a girl trapped in a tower whose long golden hair is the only way for anyone to climb up to her, will be released at Christmas 2010.

Dierna note: Yeah...like we need another Disney princess story with a happy ending. Cuz seriously the original tale was kinda depressing. What with the prince being blinded by thorns after the witch throws him out of the tower and the princess being sent off to fend for herself in the wilderness (while pregnant with twins! ). Yeah they eventually found each other (and the princess somehow restored the Prince's sight with her tears). But how the heck would they do this in a Disney film? Having kids out of wedlock isn't exactly Disney.

Next comes "Newt," a story of the last two blue-footed newts on the planet that aims to show that love is not a science, which is due to hit screens in summer 2011.

Dierna note: And guess what... the last 2 newts are male (Newt) and female (Brooke) and they hate each other but realize they have to mate to save their species! This is a Disney film?

Another new original fairy tale, "The Bear and the Bow" -- an action-adventure about a royal family in rugged and mythic Scotland -- is slated to open Christmas 2011 starring the voices of Reese Witherspoon, Billy Connolly and Emma Thompson.

Dierna note: The plot kinda reminds me of the Greek myth of Ursa Major and Ursa Minor...only Disney has put it in Scotland....mythic Scotland.

"Cars 2," in which Lightning McQueen and his best friend Mater bid to take on the world's fastest cars, is due for release in summer 2012.

Dierna note: Loved Cars....definatly gonna see Cars 2

"King of Elves," based on a 1953 short story by Phillip K. Dick, will hit screens at Christmas 2012.

Dierna note: Here's the plot:
King of the Elves is about a band of elves living in the modern-day Mississippi Delta who name a local man their king after he helps save them from an evil troll.

Soo.. are there alot of evil trolls in the Mississippi Delta?

polson
# Posted: 9 Apr 2008 18:43

You know what I miss? The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, the Lion King, the classic disney flicks!! They do cartoon animation so stinking well and I hate that's it's becoming a lost art!! Sure, do all the new fangled stuff, but don't lose the soul of the past for the sake of the technologically advanced!!!!

I'm sure disney will find a way to make the Grimm Brother's tails family friendly. They've done it before, have they not?

bria
# Posted: 9 Apr 2008 18:55

Disney have changed most of the fairy tales, in fairness. You think the little mermaid had a happy ending when Andersen wrote the story? If they can change that, I'm sure they can smoothe over an illegitimate pregnancy.

dierna
# Posted: 9 Apr 2008 19:28

Quoting: polson
You know what I miss? The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid III will be out in August. It's a prequel to the previous 2 films and shows the death of Ariel's mother, Queen Athena (killed by pirates! ). It's also the origin for Ursula.

However I seriously doubt if it will be as good as Bambi II or Cinderella III. Those 2 are the best animated films Disney has put out in the last couple years.

majin_fett
# Posted: 9 Apr 2008 19:45

The best Disney movie? Robin Hood!

polson
# Posted: 9 Apr 2008 20:37

Dierna, I haven't seen the sequals to hardly any of the classics. I saw the Aladdin ones and the Lion King 2, oh and the Beauty and the Beast one, but I find they never put into the sequals the same time and care that went into the originals and I HATE it when they replace voice actors and you can tell - I've got those old movies memorized and I'm a very audio sensitive person (meaning, when I watch cartoons I can pick out voice actors, even when they've changed their voice - like on the Simpsons). I just...it's not the same character for me and I don't find it believable. Like the Genie in Aladdin 2 sucked big time. Couldn't get past that it was Robin Williams.

polson
# Posted: 9 Apr 2008 20:37

I LOVED Robin Hood.

majin_fett
# Posted: 9 Apr 2008 21:00

Wait. I thought Robin Williams did the first and third Aladdin movies, and not the second...

polson
# Posted: 9 Apr 2008 23:44

Majin, that's right. That's what I was saying.

dierna
# Posted: 10 Apr 2008 03:36 · Edited by: dierna

Robin Williams did the first and 3rd. Taylor Negron voiced Genie the 4th (which was live action and focused on Jasmin and Aladdin's daughter, Sheherezad....still wanna know where Aladdin's evil brother came from... ).

BUT still I HIGHLY recomend Bambi II. It's a midquel and shows what exactly occured after the mother died. Patrick Stewart voices Bambi's dad. OMG...it's awesome.

Cinderella III is also awesome. The 2nd one sucked and well wasn't really a movie...it was an anthology.. Cinderella III had a TON of character development. Plus there were hints at a connection to The Little Mermaid. The King was still in mourning over the loss of his beloved queen. Even had a room full of her pictures and she looked ALOT like Ariel. The King even mentioned that he had met her on a beach. Even showed Anastasia a seashell that was special to him. The story tho mostly focused on Cinderella's step-sister Anastasia. The poor girl just wanted to be loved. Her mother and sister Drucilla certainly didn't give a crap about her.

polson
# Posted: 10 Apr 2008 03:44

I actually never saw Bambi all the way through.

alane
# Posted: 10 Apr 2008 20:59

My favorite...not a Disney one thou....

The Iron Giant...

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.050
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0