· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Gossip Corner / Stargate Universe greenlit!
dierna
# Posted: 22 Aug 2008 06:52

HA!! See!! I knew it!!! I knew they'd greenlight this since Stargate Atlantis is over!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080822/tv_nm/stargate _dc_1

Sci Fi Channel isn't about to let down "Stargate" fans.

The network is set to announce the order of a new series from MGM Television, "Stargate: Universe," that will mark the third entry in Sci Fi's longest-running original series franchise.

The green light comes on the heels of Sci Fi's confirming Thursday that "Stargate: Atlantis" will not receive a sixth-season order. The "Universe" pickup ensures the continuation of the popular "Stargate" franchise, which has been on the air in various incarnations since 1997.

"Universe" -- which will premiere as a two-hour movie in early 2009 and assume a regular hourly slot in the summer -- introduces a team of explorers who find an ancient unmanned ship called the Destiny. Unable to return to Earth, the crew must fend for themselves aboard the ship, which has a preprogrammed mission taking them to the far reaches of the universe.

Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, co-creators of "Stargate: SG-1" and "Atlantis," will serve as executive producers and writers on the new series.

The show will involve more space-based action than "SG-1" or "Atlantis." With the "Star Trek" television franchise having folded in 2005 and Sci Fi's "Battlestar Galactica" airing its final episodes next year, the network hopes "Universe" will become sci-fi fans' new favorite space-travel series.

'YOUNGER VIBE'

"We've had great success with 'Enterprise' repeats on Monday night, and there's an appetite for space opera as 'Battlestar' goes away," Sci Fi president Dave Howe said. "There's an opportunity to keep the space opera as part of our programming strategy."

Howe said the new series will reinvigorate the franchise by targeting a younger audience.

"This is an opportunity to reinvent this franchise and make it relevant to a new generation," Howe said. "We really don't want to be more of the same. It's going to build clearly off the existing franchise but with a cast that gives it a younger vibe."

Said co-creators Wright and Cooper: "In 'Universe,' we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home. Above all, we believe the Stargate itself remains an enduring icon with infinite potential as a jumping-off point for telling stories."

Also on Thursday, Sci Fi announced an order for a two-hour "Atlantis" movie in lieu of a sixth-season order. Airing two-hour movies of such franchises as "Stargate" and "Galactica" and quickly releasing the films as stand-alone DVDs has been a successful strategy for the network. But the news depressed "Stargate" fans, who saw the long-running sci-fi television franchise, like "Star Trek" a few years back, being retired as a weekly series.

"SG-1" ran for 10 seasons, launching on Showtime in 1997 and moving to Sci Fi after its fifth season. The spinoff "Atlantis" premiered in 2004 and will mark its 100th episode this year. Friday night airings of "Atlantis" have averaged more than 2 million viewers per episode.

So it's another "AAAH!! We're lost and trying to get home!" series ala Stargate Infinity and Voyager. They'd use a Stargate to get back but they can't cuz um..they're in another galaxy?

polson
# Posted: 22 Aug 2008 13:00

What? They're redoing "Voyager" for Stargate?? Ohmylanta. I'm soo disappointed. What happened to the old rumors that Universe would center around Shanks???

I hate "younger edgier". Didn't "200" teach us ANYTHING?

I'm sad. Why do my favorite sci fi shows always try to target a new audience and forget about us old standbys?

monny
# Posted: 12 Sep 2008 19:42

I'm just glad one of the franchises is carrying the Sci-Fi torch.

Otherwise we'd be stuck with reality TV, Murder drama etc FOREVER...dan dant da daaaa

dierna
# Posted: 20 Sep 2008 04:53

A break down of the characters have been revealed and Joseph Mallozi reacts to the fan reaction surrounding the series claiming it's not Voyager 90210. Filming starts in February.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/09/meet_the_ist argate_universei_tea.shtml

Character break down:
Colonel Everett Young â€" 40's handsome, capable, former SG team leader. Like the Jack O'Neill of ten years ago, but Young's edges have tended to sharpen over time. He requested permission to serve the remainder of his commission on Earth upon marrying his wife, Hailey, two years ago, but for now he's temporary commander of a secret off world base. The loss of two members of his team several years ago has taught him never to take anything for granted, and be prepared for anything. He stays on top of his team so they stay alive.

Tamara Jon â€" 20-25, all ethnicities (Asian Preferably). SGC Field medic, Captain grade. Off world experience. Beautiful, tough, smart, capable. Paramedic level training. Able to triage serious injury. Modest background. Dreamed of being a doctor but couldn't afford medical school and the Air Force was her best option. She ends up being the most medically inclined person on the ship but is overwhelmed by the lack of knowledge and experience treating seriously wounded and ill patients. She also lacks the medicine and supplies and has to make do..

Chloe Carpenter â€" 20ish. Stunning and sexy. Daughter of a U.S. Senator. Silver spoon upbringing and a little spoiled but not stupid either. Politically and socially savvy. Dreams of following in her father's footsteps but for now she's a bit of a party girl in her first year at an Ivy League school. Her father's tragic death and the dire circumstances of being trapped on a spaceship seriously tests her character.

Eli Hitchcock â€" 20-25. Total slacker. Utter genius. Mathematics, computers, anything he puts his mind to. Acerbic sense of humor. A social outcast. Comes from a broken home. Lacks confidence because his true intelligence has never really been recognized like Matt Damon's character from Good Will Hunting with a little Jack Black thrown in.

Lt. Jared Nash â€" 20-25. Junior S.G.C. team member. Officer material but green and rough around the edges. Every teenage girl's fantasy. Like a college quarterback thrown into his first pro game, he is thrust into the role of leader well before he's ready for the responsibility and must learn to take command, earn respect through action, and manage the diverse personalities on the ship to keep everyone alive. Like Jason Bourne, he is skilled and well-trained however he is mentally unprepared for the urgency of the situation.

Ron "Psycho" Stasiak â€" 20, all ethnicities. Marine. Big, strong, silent. You want him on your side. You don't want him mad at you. Lacks control over his temper in non combat situations. His past is a mystery but it's clear something dark formed the hard shell around him. Yet, there must also be some moral center because otherwise he'd kill everyone around him. Think Eric Bana's character "Hoot" in Blackhawk Down.

Mallozi's reaction:

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/09/18/sep tember-18-2008-saying-goodbye-to-sga-looking-forwa rd-to-sgu/

Last week, Brad pitched us the series and its first five episodes and, I have to say, it’s a far cry from the shallow confection many fans are imagining. In fact, in many ways, it’s a much more cerebral and mature addition to the franchise. While firmly entrenched in pre-established Stargate mythology, Stargate Universe definitely strikes out in an exciting new direction. It’s a series that will delight veteran fans, but also appeal to newcomers who may not necessarily know the difference between an Alteran and an Asuran. In spite of what the indicators may suggest, this will definitely not be a Voyager 90210.

polson
# Posted: 22 Sep 2008 04:10

Sounds like Voyager 90210 to me.

polson
# Posted: 22 Sep 2008 04:15

For the record - if they hadn't kicked Adien Ford off Atlantis, I don't think I'd have lasted this long as a fan. He was a whiny hot head punk who missed his grandma. If these new characters have those same qualities, I can't tell you how quickly I will tune out of this show, even if it is Stargate.

I like Stargate because there isn't a single character I don't like. They're LIKEABLE. There isn't a character I wouldn't mind being friends with. Except for Adien Ford.

For me, DS9 and Enterprise (though, admittedly, ENT had FAR more problems than just this) held NO value to me because I hated the vast majority of the characters (in ENT read ALL). I'm really not looking forward to this new series anymore. Especially with reading the above character listings. If they're trying to create a bunch of brooding BSG remakes, I'm going to be sorely disappointed. I hate BSG.

dierna
# Posted: 22 Sep 2008 15:55 · Edited by: dierna

Im not realy gonna be passing full judgement on the characters cuz these descriptions are subject to change. Plus, they're saying some familiar faces might show up. Daniel Jackson (who BTW is in this week's AND next week's eps of Stargate Atlantis! WOOT!) was rumoured for over a year to be in this series, which I thought was cool till the plot was revealed. Daniel lost in space? Nooo!!!

But I'll not pass full judgement till I've seen some footage...and it's gonna be several months before we see something. Filming starts in February so there'll be no doubt some behind the scenes stuff then. Meanwhile we get to look forward to whoever is being cast.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.050
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0