· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Gossip Corner / David Tennant, Doctor Who no more
dierna
# Posted: 29 Oct 2008 22:30

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7698539.s tm

Tennant stepped into the Tardis in 2005, and will leave the role after four special episodes are broadcast next year.

He made the announcement after winning the outstanding drama performance prize at the National Television Awards.

"When Doctor Who returns in 2010 it won't be with me," he said.

"Now don't make me cry," he added. "I love this part, and I love this show so much that if I don't take a deep breath and move on now I never will, and you'll be wheeling me out of the Tardis in my bath chair."

'I'll miss it'

Three years was "about the right time" to play the role, he told the BBC in an exclusive interview.

"I think it's better to go when there's a chance that people might miss you, rather than to hang around and outstay your welcome," he said.

His stint in the show had been "the most extraordinary time, it's been bewildering, life changing, very exciting", he said.

"And just so much fun, such a great show to work on.

"That's one of the reasons I think it's right to take a deep breath and bow out when it's still fun, when it's a novelty.

"I don't ever want it to feel like a job, so I want to move on when it still feels exciting and fresh and that means I'll miss it."

Tennant, the 10th actor to play the Doctor Who, left fans guessing about his return at the end of the latest series.

In the last episode, in July, the Doctor had to defeat his enemies the Daleks to save the universe.

Almost 10 million people watched as the Time Lord apparently started the process of regeneration - but did not complete it.

Tennant will appear in a Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, before filming four more specials in January.

"They'll be the four last stories that I do," he said.

In a sign of his popularity, he was voted best drama performer in a public vote at the National Television Awards.

He has been named most popular actor at the same ceremony for the past two years. That prize has been discontinued this year.

An average of 8.1 million people a week watched the latest series - the fourth since it made a comeback in 2005 - in its Saturday evening slot on BBC One.

'Spectacular' exit

Russell T Davies, executive producer, said: "I've been lucky and honoured to work with David over the past few years - and it's not over yet, the Tenth Doctor still has five spectacular hours left!

"After which, I might drop an anvil on his head. Or maybe a piano. A radioactive piano. But we're planning the most enormous and spectacular ending, so keep watching."

A fifth series of the show is scheduled for 2010.

Tennant replaced Christopher Eccleston, who resurrected the show after a 16-year break.

Tennant made his name in TV dramas such as Blackpool and Casanova.

He started his career in theatre and in recent months has returned to the stage with well-received performances in Hamlet and Love's Labour's Lost for the Royal Shakespeare Company.

In December last year, Tennant denied rumours that he was planning to quit after Catherine Tate - his new companion in the Tardis - told the Jonathan Ross radio show she thought the next series of Doctor Who would be Tennant's last.

He said at the time: "Catherine Tate stitched me up good and proper. She goes on Jonathan Ross and makes up a load of old nonsense."

demonvamp
# Posted: 30 Oct 2008 02:06

Sadness

quincyw
# Posted: 30 Oct 2008 10:00

Hurrah! Now let's hope the Eleventh Doctor has a decent personality!

aeon
# Posted: 30 Oct 2008 14:37

And let's hope he's good looking!

dierna
# Posted: 30 Oct 2008 19:30

Quoting: quincyw
Hurrah! Now let's hope the Eleventh Doctor has a decent personality!

Well we just might be meeting Doctor 11 in the Christmas special, "The Next Doctor" Which features the 10th meeting somebody claiming to be the 11th in Victorian England where they fight mutant cybermen....

The first 2 min will be shown during the Children In Need special on Nov 14th. The trailer itself is now on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhMbWeIqUFc

polson
# Posted: 30 Oct 2008 22:11

I'm waiting for Cinna to kill Quincy and Annie. *l*

korny
# Posted: 30 Oct 2008 22:44

Quoting: polson

But no one said how horrible of a character Rose is.

lzrman
# Posted: 31 Oct 2008 00:23

Wow! love the preview looks like a gooder!then we have a year wait after that!

dierna
# Posted: 31 Oct 2008 02:25

Quoting: lzrman
then we have a year wait after that!

Well there'll be 4 specials with Tennant in 2009.

Hopefully Patrick Stewart will be appearing in the 2009 specials as a Time Lord.

quincyw
# Posted: 31 Oct 2008 05:56

Thank you for your positive attitude.

Quoting: korny
But no one said how horrible of a character Rose is.

Rose isn't completely bad, just mostly. I've said the Companions are a reflection of the era the show was made in. Rose by herself was bad. Rose as the Companion of Nine/Ten was a good pairing.

And I'm requoting this again because you really don't want to know what I think about Donna. You really really don't.

lzrman
# Posted: 31 Oct 2008 06:10

"Donna Nobble has been Saved" "Donna Nobble has left the library" "Donna noble has been Saved"

4 Specials in 2009 ???????????????????????? When?

Patrick Stewart would rule as a time lord!

babel
# Posted: 31 Oct 2008 06:20

Quoting: dierna
Well we just might be meeting Doctor 11 in the Christmas special, "The Next Doctor"

Take one pinch of salt . . .

babel
# Posted: 31 Oct 2008 06:22

There will be four specials next year, an hour long each. From what I hear they will be broadcast in the UK at Easter, Xmas Day and then two more between Xmas sand New Year which will constitute a two-parter - and David's final story.

I know more about the specials but as River Song pointed out - no spoilers

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.015
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0