· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Gossip Corner / Doctor Who #11 announced!
dierna
# Posted: 3 Jan 2009 20:40 · Edited by: dierna

Aaaand the next doctor (#11) is.... 26 yr old British Actor Matt Smith. The only thing I've seen him in is Boston Legal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7808697.s tm

demonvamp
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 02:14

Flock of seagulls suddenly springs to mind.

christena
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 03:41 · Edited by: christena

wellhe could sing "I Ran"
The Doctor is always running

lzrman
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 04:00

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao!!! sorry = P he's just different

babel
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 13:54

I approve. He is a fine actor, he is very enthusiastic, has a weird energy and an otherworldly quality about him.

Good luck to Matt, can't wait to see him1

babel
# Posted: 4 Jan 2009 13:55

Oh . .and it's not Doctor Who 11 - it's the eleventh Doctor, if I'm going to be pedantic, which I usually am

Madscientist
# Posted: 10 May 2009 03:27

I think the doctors have gotten progressiely younger since Bill Hartnell.

Am I correct in this?

If so, was it intentional?

babel
# Posted: 10 May 2009 09:10

Ages of the actors upon getting the role:

Bill Hartnell: 55
Pat Troughton: 46
Jon Pertwee: 51
Tom Baker: 40
Peter Davison: 30
Colin Baker: 41
Sylvester McCoy: 44
Paul McGann: 37
Christopher Eccleston: 41
David Tennant:34
Matt Smith: 26

Swapping them round for age order from the oldest to the youngest:

Hartnell (1)
Pertwee (3)
Troughton (2)
McCoy (7)
Eccleston (9)
Baker, C (6)
Baker, T (4)
McGann (8)
Tennant (10)
Davison (5)
Smith (11)

As you can see , there is no smooth progression. Many of the actors are not far from forty, give or take. the first three actod to play the Doctor were the oldest and of the last four Doctors, three are the youngest to have played him do there is a trend there, yes. After Matt's had his (hopefully wildly successful!) bash I hope they cast an older man but I'm not too fussed about his age, really.

To conclude, no, I don't think there is a conscious decision to make the Doctor progressively younger. Though it does remind me of some of the stories of Merlin where he magician was said to age backwards - and of course we know that one incarnation of the Doctor has been known as Merlin! I think that it's more a sign of the times - TV bosses want younger, more dynamic actors in the role.

quincyw
# Posted: 10 May 2009 09:13

It's to do with the times. Rose is a companion for the 21st century. One of the older companions would have been quite ill fitting if paired to the Ninth Doctor, as an example.

Each Doctor and Companion has suited the show in the era it was made, because those were the values that people looked for in their television. In the 21st century, we want younger, so that we could identify with them a bit better, because it means energetic, change.

sym
# Posted: 10 May 2009 14:20

What's going to happen when they reach the 12th Doctor? Or is it the 13th?

babel
# Posted: 10 May 2009 15:29

He can regenrate 12 times so he has 13 bodies. I expect there'll be some McGuffin introduced, some way for him to keep regenerating. At the moment there are only fan theories, the BBC hasn't addressed this at all, I think it could be the biggest cliffhanger of all - the 13th Doctor karks it and - cue music!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.023
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0