· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Gossip Corner / Star Wars: The Musical
dierna
# Posted: 27 Feb 2009 00:51

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/26288624/lu casfilm_says_star_wars_a_musical_journey_bound_for _us/2

After launching at London's O2 arena in April, a live stage treatment of the Star Wars series, Star Wars: A Musical Journey, will make its way to the U.S. But organizers say they're steering clear of a straight forward musical theater treatment or "R2-D2 rolling across the stage," and are instead preparing a recontextualization of the iconic film franchise featuring an enormous LED screen, classic films scenes and, of course, John Williams' landmark score.

First announced in late 2008, Star Wars: A Musical Journey debuts April 10 in London, where 17,000 will be the first to sample the bombastic production. Williams is personally rearranging the neo-romantic space opera's leitmotifs like "The Imperial March" and the "Star Wars (Main Theme)" for performance live by the 86-piece Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir. The symphony will perform in front of a 100-foot LED screen displaying a LucasFilm re-edit of all six movies into one 90-minute narrative that syncs to the beat of Williams' new work.

The idea for Journey came during the scoring phase of post-production on Revenge of the Sith according to Howard Roffman, president of Lucas Licensing and a 29-year veteran of the company. "We were really looking for something that would be big and spectacular and reach as many people as possible and still deliver a really fantastic experience," he says.

Williams — the man behind iconic scores for Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and more — was ecstatic to work in a new context according to tour partner Gregg Perloff whose Berkeley-based Another Planet Entertainment is producing the event.

"This is the first time that LucasFilm has authorized this kind of presentation, so that's a big deal," Perloff said. "When we showed [Williams] our plans he was looking at the technical aspects of it and saying to his manager and agent, 'God, we should do this every night.' Because no one's ever done it. He was so into it. He understands that certain music plays a certain way to a film and that it plays slightly different live — and so he's making sure that every piece is perfect for the live experience."

polson
# Posted: 27 Feb 2009 01:30

.......I'm...stunned....completely stunned....

Um....is this coming to Canada at all?

dierna
# Posted: 27 Feb 2009 04:13

Quoting: polson
Um....is this coming to Canada at all?

Eventually yes... but first they're trying it out in London and the U.S. More places will be announced after April (when it starts in London).

christena
# Posted: 27 Feb 2009 06:47

it's only for 2 days..this makes me sad as I would ha ve loved to have gone to see that

babel
# Posted: 27 Feb 2009 20:52

Well I will certainly be heading to the O2 to see this.

Or not.

sylvius
# Posted: 27 Feb 2009 22:17

Amazingly I still know my command code or not amazingly in my case.

I'm going to this event on 10th April!

Pricey I know, but I've got to experience it!

Regards.

Sylvius

babel
# Posted: 28 Feb 2009 00:53

I can think of better uses of my time and money than going with a load of SW geeks to see the prototype of a SW musical tried out in London. I'd rather chew off my left leg. It'll be horrible but all the hardcore fanboys will love it.

crazytexan
# Posted: 28 Feb 2009 02:54 · Edited by: crazytexan

At least there isn't a "Dr. Who" musical...yet. Imagine the show stopping number performed by Daleks called "Exterminate! Exterminate!" And the finale, "wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff". Hell...this could be the next big thing.

It could be worse. There was musical done for "The Last Starfighter" and an upcoming Spiderman musical which I'm sure when Majin heard about it, it made him cry.

majin_fett
# Posted: 28 Feb 2009 03:20

The idea of the Spider-Man musical still makes me cry.

At least this SW musical sounds interesting. It doesn't sound like a regular musical.

And Jeremy, believe me when I say that there are worse fanboys out there than SW fanboys. *points at the anime crowd*

dierna
# Posted: 28 Feb 2009 04:44

Quoting: crazytexan
At least there isn't a "Dr. Who" musical...yet.

David Tennant and John Barrowman are interested in doing a Doctor Who musical actually. But it would be an episode... possably one of the upcoming specials. John is one of my fave singers so it could totally work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/celebri tynews/3830988/David-Tennant-could-star-in-Doctor- Who-musical-version.html

babel
# Posted: 28 Feb 2009 10:41

A Doctor Who musical. Oh lord. Please, no. No. Just no.

Mike, I'm sure you're right!

polson
# Posted: 28 Feb 2009 14:32

It's like a train wreck though...you can't help but look at it...

arielourcat
# Posted: 28 Feb 2009 21:35

starwars the musical yikes! lets keep the movies a memory iI saw the originals back in 1977, 1980, 1983.

I think it's a little crazy what does the creator george lucas say about this?

dierna
# Posted: 28 Feb 2009 22:25

Quoting: arielourcat
what does the creator george lucas say about this?

It was his idea.....

christena
# Posted: 1 Mar 2009 07:26

*lmao @ CeeT* You ain't right boy!

and omg...there is one?

Pols-I think you are right*L* you just gotta*L*

and Jeremy..you know you'd be there with bells on
Muwahahaha

babel
# Posted: 1 Mar 2009 08:48

I bloody would not

polson
# Posted: 1 Mar 2009 13:03

If it came through Calgary or Edmonton, I'd go, just to see the train wreck. You know, if it was affordable.

And I would think about Jeremy the entire time.

babel
# Posted: 1 Mar 2009 20:12

Oh you poor thing Pols. Thinking about me is not to be recommended.

christena
# Posted: 2 Mar 2009 12:21

Amen!

and I'm still thinking you would just to see Jack and Kylie
Mwah!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.026
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0