· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF News / The Continuous Library Thread
. 1 . 2 . >>
master_chief
# Posted: 2 Apr 2009 19:46

This thread will continuously be updated by members of the Library Team. We're going to bring you exciting new developments such as new best sellers lists in popular book genres, interesting new stories about authors, and news about book signing events and other interesting tidbits that involve the Library team. Hope you enjoy!

skevington
# Posted: 2 Apr 2009 23:21 · Edited by: skevington

I thought some of you might find this interesting.

From the article:

Publishers and agents representing the authors J. K. Rowling and Ken Follett were battling last night to get free copies of their novels removed from a Californian website that claims to be the most popular literary site in the world.

Scribd.com attracts 55 million visitors a month...(read on)

http://www.scribd.com

Note: A fantastic website. I use it frequently myself. It has useful academic texts so a good resource for students wanting to get free books which they'd overwise have to pay a lot of money for! Well worth a visit. Or two.

master_chief
# Posted: 4 Apr 2009 12:21

Stephen King, well-known author, is reported by the UK Guardian website( URL) to have completed a novel 25 years in the making.

Excerpt from the article:
It's been incubating for 25 years but Stephen King is finally ready to show the world the 1,000-plus page epic he first attempted writing in the 1980s. Under the Dome, in which an invisible force field seals off a Maine town from the world, is due to be published this November, his publishers have said.

Stephen King is an acclaimed author known around the world for his talanted, and suspenseful, novels which have excited readers for years.

master_chief
# Posted: 4 Apr 2009 12:31

New York Times Best Seller's List (4/4/09):

HARDCOVER FICTION
Top 5 at a Glance
1. TRUE DETECTIVES, by Jonathan Kellerman
2. HANDLE WITH CARE, by Jodi Picoult
3. OUTCAST, by Aaron Allston
4. THE ASSOCIATE, by John Grisham
5. THE HOST, by Stephenie Meyer

HARDCOVER NONFICTION

Top 5 at a Glance
1. LIBERTY AND TYRANNY, by Mark R. Levin
2. OUTLIERS, by Malcolm Gladwell
3. HOUSE OF CARDS, by William D. Cohan
4. A LION CALLED CHRISTIAN, by Anthony Bourke and John Rendall
5. THE YANKEE YEARS, by Joe Torre and Tom Verducci

Read more here: http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/bestseller/

master_chief
# Posted: 7 Apr 2009 16:34

Author News

Stephen King:

Recently, works by acclaimed author Stephen King have been found and are being reported by Guardian to be in the works for publishing. An excerpt from the article appears below.

Two new works from Jurassic Park author Michael Crichton, who died last year, have been discovered on the writer's computer and are to be released over the next year-and-a-half, his publisher HarperCollins has said.
Read the article

James Patterson

Guardian UK reveals many candid secrets from an author who tops best sellers lists and defies even the greatest Harry Potter sales from JK Rowling. Below is an interesting read:

He outsells JK Rowling, John Grisham and Dan Brown put together. He's topped the New York Times bestseller list 35 times, and has so many books coming out in the next few months he's lost count. So how does he do it? James Patterson reveals his secret to Gaby Wood
Check this article out...

master_chief
# Posted: 15 Apr 2009 14:30

Amazon/Ranking News

Over the weekend, Amazon was found to have had a glitch in its rating system for book on its site. An excerpt from the article appears below.
URL
"Online retailer blames reduced profiles of Winterson, Hollinghurst, Vidal and others on glitch in new family-friendly charts"

An Excerpt:The internet retailer Amazon has found itself at the centre of a censorship row after it decided to remove a number of so-called adult books from its online charts.

Over the weekend, thousands of books have lost their sales rank – the number that Amazon uses to show how well one title sells compared with another – as the company apparently seeks to make its bestseller lists more family friendly.

But thousands of users have voiced concern after the seemingly random application of the new rules not only affected a number of high-profile authors, including Annie Proulx, EM Forster and Jeanette Winterson, but also led to thousands of gay and lesbian titles being stripped of their sales rank, regardless of their sexual content.

Check this article out

hampus
# Posted: 15 Apr 2009 18:12

Quoting: master_chief
Stephen King, well-known author, is reported by the UK Guardian website( URL) to have completed a novel 25 years in the making.
Excerpt from the article:
It's been incubating for 25 years but Stephen King is finally ready to show the world the 1,000-plus page epic he first attempted writing in the 1980s. Under the Dome, in which an invisible force field seals off a Maine town from the world, is due to be published this November, his publishers have said.

Stephen King is an acclaimed author known around the world for his talanted, and suspenseful, novels which have excited readers for years.

Sounds A LOT like Simpsons The Movie

skevington
# Posted: 15 Apr 2009 23:55

Indeed it does. But no doubt without Homer to save the day...

stevennorton
# Posted: 17 Apr 2009 01:46

sshhhhhh

this is a library thread, keep your voices down.

dierna
# Posted: 17 Apr 2009 01:58

Lesse... books I won't be reading...okee doke... *goes back to reading Signora Da Vinci...*

master_chief
# Posted: 18 Apr 2009 11:58

Random News: April 18, 09

UK Guardian Audio Clip

The UK Guardian has posted an audio interview with an award winner author of The Secret Scripture
An excerpt:

Guardian book club: Sebastian Barry
John Mullan talks to the author about his Costa prize-winning novel The Secret Scripture
Check out the audio here...

New York Times

Books To Read:

1.) The Thoreau You Don't know- an eye-opening and hilarious book about Thoreau.
2.) The Soul of Medicine-Medical stories that are beyond belief.

New York Time's List of 100 Notable Books of 2008Click here

News

The NYT reports that legendary book heroine Judith Krug is now deceased at age 69. An excerpt:
Ms. Krug led the campaign by libraries against efforts to ban books, then fought laws and regulations to limit children's access to the Internet.
Read on...

master_chief
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 02:30

Ebooks vs. Dusty Paperbacks-4/23/09
The UK Guardian just posted a story concerning the switch from paperback to ebook... or you could fire up your Kindle. Check out the link:

An excerpt:
Ebooks battle for next chapter
The clear message from this week's London Book Fair was that UK publishing and retailing are finally ready to embrace the ebook. But don't dump your bookshelves yet. Before the ebook can really challenge its paper equivalent, the industry has to avert a format war a whole lot more complicated than VHS v Betamax.

"A format war could hold back the development of the ebook market," says Simon Juden, chief executive of the Publishers Association. That's bad news for the book industry, and frustrating for readers waiting to join the ebook revolution.

bronwein
# Posted: 29 Apr 2009 01:33

It seems to me, much as I love tech, that the kindle and kind don't seem to hold up well on the beach, in bright sunlight. Kind of like trying to look at the cell in bright sun, on the beach.

master_chief
# Posted: 29 Apr 2009 13:32

THanks for that review, Bron!

polson
# Posted: 30 Apr 2009 18:00

Okay, I've read somewhere, or heard at the convetion, I don't remember, that the Stargate SG-1 book Hydra won an award or was nominated for something?

I was a little shocked, I gotta say. I'm about 150 pages in on the book and I CANNOT get into it, it's so boring as far as SG-1 books go and has zero character interaction and I've even noticed some slight inconsistancies between POVs. Maybe because i'm a writer I'm picky, but dude. Subpar.

skevington
# Posted: 30 Apr 2009 19:19

Polson, when you're done you should write a review for me. I will accept critical book reviews! =p

polson
# Posted: 1 May 2009 03:27

"This book SUCKS!"

skevington
# Posted: 1 May 2009 19:12

For anyone interested here is an extract from J.G. Ballard's Empire of the Sun as published by The Guardian.

master_chief
# Posted: 2 May 2009 16:30

Best Sellers List (NY Times)-May 2nd

Top 5 at a Glance
1. FIRST FAMILY, by David Baldacci
2. TEA TIME FOR THE TRADITIONALLY BUILT, by Alexander McCall Smith
3. LOITERING WITH INTENT, by Stuart Woods
4. JUST TAKE MY HEART, by Mary Higgins Clark
5. THE PERFECT POISON, by Amanda Quick

HARDCOVER NONFICTION

Top 5 at a Glance
1. LIBERTY AND TYRANNY, by Mark R. Levin
2. OUTLIERS, by Malcolm Gladwell
3. COLUMBINE, by Dave Cullen
4. ALWAYS LOOKING UP, by Michael J. Fox
5. THE GIRLS FROM AMES, by Jeffrey Zaslow

PAPERBACK TRADE FICTION

Top 5 at a Glance
1. THE SHACK, by William P. Young
2. 7TH HEAVEN, by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
3. CITY OF THIEVES, by David Benioff
4. UNACCUSTOMED EARTH, by Jhumpa Lahiri
5. ANGELS AND DEMONS, by Dan Brown
Read on...

skevington
# Posted: 4 May 2009 21:24

Many congratulations are in order for the library's very own rising star, Brandon, on his promotion to CL5.

master_chief
# Posted: 5 May 2009 01:45

Thanks lee!

lzrman
# Posted: 5 May 2009 20:38

Great Job Brandon !

master_chief
# Posted: 6 May 2009 13:47

Thanks, Lzr, but I think the rising star may be you

master_chief
# Posted: 6 May 2009 14:02 · Edited by: master_chief

Wednesday News Break-Your Friendly Library Team

Author Jeremy Paxman compares the internet-based research to flipping through a dusty novel... you'll be suprised at his stance. Here's an excerpt:

Who needs reference books in the age of the internet? Nothing compares to whiling away the hours between hard covers, argues Jeremy Paxman, who has trawled second-hand bookshops to build up his collection
Read on...

Obama enjoys a novel or two

The associated Press reports that in an interview, Obama remarked that he prefered a special author. Read below to find out more...

An excerpt:
NEW YORK – The Obama book bump has struck again.

President Obama told The New York Times during a recent interview that he has been reading Joseph O'Neill's "Netherland," a highly praised novel about cricket, marriage and living in a post 9/11 world.
Read on...

master_chief
# Posted: 8 May 2009 13:18

Friday Newsbreak-Library Team

Amazon Introduces a newer, larger-screened Kindle

Here's an excerpt:

The device, called the Kindle DX (for deluxe), has a screen two and a half times the size of those on the two older versions of the Kindle, which were aimed primarily at displaying book pages. The price tag is larger, too: the DX costs $489, or $130 more than the previous model, the Kindle 2. It will go on sale this summer.
Read on...

After 341 Years, British Poet Laureate Is a Woman

The British choose a Laureate Poet and it's a woman! Here's an excerpt:

The writer Carol Ann Duffy was appointed Britain's poet laureate on Friday, becoming the first woman to take a 341-year-old job that has been held by, among others, Dryden, Tennyson, Wordsworth, Cecil Day-Lewis and Ted Hughes.
Check out this history-making news!

polson
# Posted: 10 May 2009 01:44

Quoting: master_chief
5. THE PERFECT POISON, by Amanda Quick

I seriously thought that said "The Perfect Polson" and my first thought was, "I don't remember doing an interview."

master_chief
# Posted: 10 May 2009 16:04

Quoting: polson
I seriously thought that said "The Perfect Polson" and my first thought was, "I don't remember doing an interview."

Haha!

skevington
# Posted: 28 May 2009 17:47

So glad the university year is over, I can now actually do some long overdue reading!

bronwein
# Posted: 29 May 2009 00:58

Does anyone notice, first books are better than the 11th or 12th? I think they get famous and the editing company are on their **es to churn out another book. (Like a teacher with a deadline.) And the editor says you got a week to turn your manuscript in. I can think of several like that. Sloppy copies.

master_chief
# Posted: 7 Jun 2009 13:34

Top 100 Books. Have you checked out the article on this? Here's the link: Click here to find out more!

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.040
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0