· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF News / Let's Get To Work!
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
taurik
# Posted: 8 Apr 2009 05:48

Howdy, Folks.

Time is pretty short on this whole thing so I'm going to get right to it.

There's a new Star Trek movie coming out in a month's time. As I write this, I believe its going to be in exactly 30 days. OTF was founded as a Star Trek chatroom in 1997 and has grown over the years into an all encompassing sci-fi community.

With the upcoming ST movie, its time to go back to our roots. A great deal many people are going to have their interests in the Star Trek universe re-sparked due to this movie. They're going to take to the interwebs and want to talk about this stuff with like minded people. The first thing you're going to find when you search in google for "Star Trek chat" is Outpost 10F. Maybe that's how some of you found us to begin with. Because of this, we can expect to have a lot of new faces coming into the chat.

This is where I need the help from all of you.

When you see someone new entering the chat, it is now VERY important that we try to make them feel welcome. Yeah, they're ability to type is going to be crap and their use of punctuation (or lack there of) is going to give you a splitting headache. But you should have seen chat saves from my first day in chat. A lot of these new people are going to have trouble getting used to our style of chatting without auto-refreshing. Its important that we take the time to walk them through it and help them get adjusted.

At the same time, we need to be friendly to them and welcome them to our community. This is going to cause them to come back and that's a good thing. We can't expect that every new person who comes into OTF is going to be mature and articulate with a firm grasp of the English language.

I'm not saying that all the new members we're about to recieve are going to be nine year olds trying to get information on how to talk to girls, but you shouldn't be detered by them either. A lot of high ranking members here all came into chat during the Star Wars rush and wanted to play with light sabers in the CCC. If we can focus on making everyone feel welcome into OTF, hopefully a handful of outstanding chatters will make it through and become out next department heads. That 15 year old wanting to talk about Klingons could very easily become the next CT, Sonata Form, Tail-Kinker, and Zild.

So you get the idea of where we're trying to go there. The future of OTF is going to depend heavily on all of you doing this and I'm not just blowing smoke. The movie is going to drive traffic into this place, its up to all of you to keep them here. I can assure you, your efforts in making people feel welcome here and being that friendly face that keeps people come back are not going to go unnoticed.

Moving along, the next issue.

Your smiling faces are going to go along way in keeping them here, what the Outpost does to intice them is going to take it the rest of the way. We're going to start having some "OTF Discussion Nights" in the next couple of weeks. There'll be one in the weeks leading up to the movie's release, one while the movie is in theatres, and then another one after we've given most everyone the time to go and see the movies themselves. What these are going to be are Townhall like discussions, lead by a moderator who fields out questions to the chat, and answered by all of you. You'll have the ability to actually discuss the Star Trek universe and debate certain issues.

The first discussion will probably be based on the topic of "Where do you think the current state of the Star Trek franchise is?" You will be in a position to discuss and debate with other OTFers on this question and other similar questions during the Discussion event. To my knowledge, OTF has never done anything like this so this will be a first in our community.

These are the kinds of things that people who have just had their interest in Star Trek re-sparked are going to want to talk about it. When they come to our site and see our discussions being advertised, they're going to want to come on in and take part. Hopefully they have such a good time and meet many like minded people, they stick around.

This is something that we all can take part in and have ownership of. Without bringing down the mood too much, there's no point in sitting around and saying OTF is going to crap. If you do that, well you're worthless to me, to be perfectly quite honest. GTFO and don't come back to OTF until after the hype from the movie has died down. If you want to chat in a chatroom that's dying and is on the verge of collapse, there's several knock off OTF's out there that will gladly have you. I can post you the links to them if you want to help expedite your departure from here. OTF is now a place for people to chat who want to see OTF rise back to the top.

No new site changes are going to fix this place. No combining of the chats is going to make this place better. A whole new ranking system isn't going to solve any problems that have come up over the last year or so. WE are going to be the fix. WE are going to be the cause of OTF's return to greatness. WE are OTF Version 3.

Myself and a couple others are going to be using this thread to discuss what we're going to be doing in more detail as we actually sitdown and hammer everything out. There's no sense in locking this thread because I'd love to hear your feedback.

With that said, Let's Get To Work!

Keith

shakeycat
# Posted: 8 Apr 2009 06:31 · Edited by: shakeycat

Keith, you put the OTF in GTFO

master_chief
# Posted: 8 Apr 2009 12:02

Let me know where you need some help. I'm definately here to dig my hands in to get some of this done it just seems like there may be a lack of grease pushing the wheels a bit.

taurik
# Posted: 8 Apr 2009 14:08

oh, there's plenty of lube.

master_chief
# Posted: 8 Apr 2009 15:44

Also, Keith, in response to your post, I think that there needs to be an identifiable set of goals which are followed through with and execution is key, involving members in all levels of goal achievement. I mean, I'm looking through threads from last year around this time and I don't see much of a difference. From my standpoint, there should be major changes and major steps to revive the community. But, I'm here if someone wants to listen to ideas. Sometimes, I feel they fall on deaf ears. I'm ready to work and put in the effort. I just need the chance. I'm already a member of four teams but a few aren't even contributing or I can't connect to the people who need to run the team. It's tough when you've got your sleeves rolled up and TLs don't even respond. Sure there are problems here but it's better to look at solutions and maybe have a monthly team prospectus or something such as that to showcase the work teams have done in a summarized format which goes to the entirety of the community and how these would relate to the goals that were set. Just thoughts. Email me for more or if you'd like to offer me a job.

babel
# Posted: 8 Apr 2009 19:03

Quoting: taurik
That 15 year old wanting to talk about Klingons could very easily become the next CT, Sonata Form, Tail-Kinker, and Zild.

Oh god, one CT was enough and as for another Sonata, don't you think that in me and him OTF has had enough fiery argumentative redheads for one lifetime?

taurik
# Posted: 9 Apr 2009 00:26 · Edited by: taurik

I'm a Redhead and we've done just fine

Brandon, in response to you...

This is by no means meant to be the cure-all for OTF. At the same time, this isn't going to be another OTF project that fades away into existance as TL's go inactive and can't be bothered to continue. This is purely a project designed to capitalize on something that could easily drive in new members, something that I believe would cause everything to fall in line.

Its really hard right now for people to get too motivated for OTF because there's nothing really going on. There's not enough people to really make it worth while. Once you get traffic coming into this place, things will start fixing themselves and there will be greater motivation to finish projects.

The best thing you and anyone else can do right now is just be welcoming to new members and get to thinking about your opinion on the current state of the ST franchise. I'm really trying to do my best to keep the decision making process of this whole thing as small and transparent as possible as to avoid another OTF beauocracy. In the event one of us become inactive, it should be easy for everyone to pick it up and continue. But I'll let you know and anyone else know if there's anything you can specifically do for us.

majin_fett
# Posted: 9 Apr 2009 00:29

I will say that you know Trivia is already on board for an event. You think we'd let this chance slip by?

babel
# Posted: 9 Apr 2009 01:49

We need avatars. Anyone on it? If not, I'll do some.

taurik
# Posted: 9 Apr 2009 02:27 · Edited by: taurik

okay...third edit...

yeah, there are some already there...

however, they seem to really be nothing more than the pictures of the actors playing the new characters. Yeah, some of them are from the movie, but not the bulk of them. Would be a good idea to go out there and see if there are many new pictures out and take those.

lzrman
# Posted: 9 Apr 2009 05:03

I could have Soka work on doing that ?

majin_fett
# Posted: 9 Apr 2009 05:12

Hey Lzr. You're on the avatars team (as am I). How 'bout instead of putting it off or delegating it to our leader, we just do it?

dierna
# Posted: 9 Apr 2009 23:35

I'll help as much as I can in between packing for the big move in August.... Wee...

taurik
# Posted: 10 Apr 2009 06:30

Dierna, Star Trek news and gossip. and LOTS OF IT!

I'm serious. Give our possible new members something to read about.

That would be VERY helpful. dierna

xemxija
# Posted: 11 Apr 2009 00:34

Quoting: babel
, don't you think that in me and him OTF has had enough fiery argumentative redheads for one lifetime?

I feel left out...

dierna
# Posted: 11 Apr 2009 00:48

Quoting: taurik
Dierna, Star Trek news and gossip. and LOTS OF IT!

Im surprised there isn't that much news right now. The movie is coming out in a month. :/

skevington
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 02:31

For all interested, be sure to read the updates post on the "let's talk" event and do your best to come along on Saturday!

Regards,
Dmitri

babel
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 06:10

Can't come. sorry. It's short notice and I've made arrangements.

babel
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 06:11

What I will do, however, is email Andrew and cc the email to this forum thread. That do 'im, Keith?

master_chief
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 12:18

I'll be there

demonvamp
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 15:21

Much as I might want to come, I'm still all burnt out with everything Trek related. I'm hoping the film will bring something completely fresh to the mix after all the recent series' efforts, but until then I'm trying to steer clear.

Plus, won't be online

babel
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 17:31

Due to illness in my sister's house, my travel plans have been scrapped and I'll be here.

skevington
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 17:47

QD, awful! Shame on you for not being online!

And Jeremy, that's just plain awesome! The being there... not the illness. =p

lzrman
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 19:19

I'll of course be in attendance

demonvamp
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 19:50

Quoting: skevington
QD, awful! Shame on you for not being online!

I am awful, yes

Maybe I can sort something out... stranger things have happened

babel
# Posted: 14 Apr 2009 21:43

Quoting: demonvamp
I am awful, yes

I'm getting a Dick Emery vibe!

dierna
# Posted: 15 Apr 2009 02:44 · Edited by: dierna

Quoting: skevington
For all interested, be sure to read the updates post on the "let's talk" event and do your best to come along on Saturday!

Sorry.. won't be able to attend as I'll be at work all day.

And I had to look up WTF UTC was.... so that's 9am PT? Yeah....I'll be at work then....

demonvamp
# Posted: 15 Apr 2009 15:41

Quoting: babel
I'm getting a Dick Emery vibe!

But I like you *belts with handbag*

iain
# Posted: 15 Apr 2009 18:05

Quoting: dierna
And I had to look up WTF UTC was.... so that's 9am PT? Yeah....I'll be at work then....

No, and the Updates Board is unfortunately very inaccurate just now.

The event will take place on Saturday at:

17.00 (5pm) UTC [OTF Time, GMT] =
18.00 (6pm) BST [UK] =
19.00 (7pm) CEST [Europe] =
10.00 (10am) Pacific Time [PDT. Vancouver, BC] =
11.00 (11am) Mountain Time =
12.00 (noon) Central Time =
13.00 (1pm) Eastern Time

skevington
# Posted: 15 Apr 2009 21:29

I have posted on the updates board clarifying the time. Thanks for pointing this out Iain!

Regards,
Dmitri

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.068
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0