· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF News / Let's Get To Work!
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
mezoti
# Posted: 16 Apr 2009 03:58

Iain's my knight in shining armour..

*swoon*

(Happy two years.)

dierna
# Posted: 17 Apr 2009 01:56

Oh.. 10am PT....um....I'll be dealing with customers buying plants at that time... *lol*....

taurik
# Posted: 17 Apr 2009 07:03

STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES!

The event will be held at 1900 UTC...Noon Andrew's time.

I don't know who jacked up the times and told everyone the wrong thing...*whistles innocently as to divert attention else where*...but the big event is at 1900 UTC...1400 CST...1200 AATST (Andrew and Tanya Standard Time) or 1200 PST for those of you in Rio Lenda.

AGAIN...1900 OTF Time...or just two hours later than what's been posted.

iain
# Posted: 17 Apr 2009 16:37

That's classic. I've gone ahead and posted a correction to the correction to the Updates Board.

19.00 (7pm) UTC [OTF Time] =
20.00 (8pm) BST [UK & Republic of Ireland] =
21.00 (9pm) CEST [Europe: France, Germany, the Netherlands, etc] =
12.00 (noon) Pacific Time =
13.00 (1pm) Mountain Time =
14.00 (2pm) Central Time =
15.00 (3pm) Eastern Time

demonvamp
# Posted: 18 Apr 2009 14:35

Has it changed again? I'm really confused

babel
# Posted: 18 Apr 2009 15:38

Well that's screwed me up completely. Can't make it. We have a protest rally outside our local cinema - we're trying to save it from being turned into a church - at 8 pm BST and I can't possibly miss that.

Don't mean to moan but . . well, all week it was at a certain time, then it was corrected, it's not good for people wanting to attend, you know? I suggest that someone take minutes, they are posted in these forums and those not able to attend can add their two pennyworth afterwards.

babel
# Posted: 18 Apr 2009 15:39

Quoting: demonvamp
Has it changed again? I'm really confused

I think it was more that the advertised times had been wrongly corrected for time zones. Yes, I was confused too.

demonvamp
# Posted: 18 Apr 2009 17:00

Quoting: babel
Well that's screwed me up completely. Can't make it. We have a protest rally outside our local cinema - we're trying to save it from being turned into a church - at 8 pm BST and I can't possibly miss that.

Good luck with that, Babel. There was a lovely ancient derelict cinema down the road from us that they butchered into a church, replete with a 'lovely' brick patterned cross on the bricked up front.

Swines

babel
# Posted: 18 Apr 2009 17:20

We've got some celebs to support the campign, including Tony Robinson, Meera Syal and Tony Benn

dunno what it is with churches, buying and butchering cinemas

babel
# Posted: 19 Apr 2009 11:03

Ok we had a good meeting last night! A few points

1) I believe Brandon took minutes? Could we see them, please?

2) Me and Tanya clued in Polson on the subjects raised last night

3) Once the minutes are published the 'brass' needs to decide what we are going to focus on and get the appropriate people working on what needs to be worked on

4) We need to get this forum thread buzzing with ideas for the upcoming release. Kudos to everyone who got off their arses and actually started to DO something

master_chief
# Posted: 19 Apr 2009 12:15

Babel, I'm finishing up typing them now. I'll have them posted today sometime.

-Brandon CL4

babel
# Posted: 19 Apr 2009 12:19

Smashing, Brandon

master_chief
# Posted: 20 Apr 2009 21:49

Outpost 10F First Annual Discussion Minutes
Topic: State of the Star Trek franchise/State of the Outpost
Date: April 18, 2009

Note: Things may be missing & if so, I apologize. I took notes but possibly not the most copious ones.

Core Issues (Star Trek Franchise):
1. The changing fan base- the Trek movie fan base is evolving and changes are seen in its more provocative efforts to reach a younger, more general audience.
2. Impact of Movie- the movie has lots of special effects and action but this was done in Enterprise so only time will tell.
3. Series' impact and relevance to fan base- With the canceling of Enterprise, fans are at a loss to the direction the franchise is going but with the movie, it should be noted that it breathes new life into the genre.

Core Issues (Outpost 10f): these issues were raised about the status of the community.

1. Involvement Level-bringing back old members with a monthly
2. Membership- how to raise, and keep, new members.
3. Communication- Monthly email/newsletter to remind old members of OTF
4. Incentive Events coinciding with the release of Star Trek XI

Proposed Solutions
i. Star trek trivia events
ii. Sims (new sim events)
iii. Special Events surrounding the movie
iv. Newsletter regarding current OTF events sent out to email list
v. OTF Reunion

Regards,
CL4 Brandon

Note: these are just my notes, I hope they help.

lzrman
# Posted: 20 Apr 2009 21:50

Addition: - Using the Vast Amount of Emails in the Database and send out a mass email.

shakeycat
# Posted: 21 Apr 2009 04:21

That would be this one: iv. Newsletter regarding current OTF events sent out to email list

and it's about time we take advantage of our database! We should at least be sending a reminder when the anniversary rolls around each year.

master_chief
# Posted: 21 Apr 2009 21:44

Anyone have any ideas on the solutions or items talked about?

-Brandon

jamesgilfoyle
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 10:32 · Edited by: jamesgilfoyle

Glad to see things are moving along!

but;
I think an important move would be updating the site because the information i see seems massively out of date; things like there being 50+ members in the Admin Team... Erm, what? Things like the lists of projects, and teams and the team sites themselves...

C'mon guys its not that hard to organise a place like this!

daecrist
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 15:54

Quoting: shakeycat
and it's about time we take advantage of our database! We should at least be sending a reminder when the anniversary rolls around each year.

I actually tossed out that idea about a year ago when we were discussing new ideas, but there's the unfortunate side-effect that if we send out all of those e-mails to around ten-thousand plus members there's a good chance OTF will be flagged as a spammer by most of the big mailing services, which would in turn wreak havoc on our existing account holders who are relying on @outpost10f.com addresses that forward to public mail accounts.

polson
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 18:01

Quoting: daecrist
which would in turn wreak havoc on our existing account holders who are relying on @outpost10f.com addresses that forward to public mail accounts.

Like me.

jamesgilfoyle
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 22:00

Quoting: daecrist
I actually tossed out that idea about a year ago when we were discussing new ideas, but there's the unfortunate side-effect that if we send out all of those e-mails to around ten-thousand plus members there's a good chance OTF will be flagged as a spammer by most of the big mailing services, which would in turn wreak havoc on our existing account holders who are relying on @outpost10f.com addresses that forward to public mail accounts.

Perhaps split the data into sections and send them out over the space of a week (or few weeks) period?

mezoti
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 23:42

Quoting: jamesgilfoyl
Perhaps split the data into sections and send them out over the space of a week (or few weeks) period?

We could still potentially be marked as spammers. Which, honestly, is not a risk we really want to take.

lzrman
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 23:55

Whats the total Amount of emails on file in the database? Pre V2 theres approximately 15,000 could we not break this up in to say sending 5000 every 3 months and eventually once the year is up? reach everyone?

What is the status to be considered a spammer?

If all those members gave us there address in the first place to register, how could it be considered spam?

polson
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 00:03

Yahoo believes all outpost email is spam.

Iain and I had to trick it into letting me receive my outpost email. And that took us three months to figure out.

There's no simple "switch" we can make to impliment mass membership emailing.

daecrist
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 03:34

We're not sending out mass e-mails to a membership base that has, by and large, moved on from OTF. The risk of being flagged as a known spammer far outweighs anyone we might bring back in. And breaking it up will not solve the problem, as a large number of people flagging us as spammers over a given period of time will have the same net effect as doing it all at once.

babel
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 06:29

Perhaps we could look at the membership list and identify names that we know used to be regulars and haven't chatted for a while. People we know used to love the place and send individual, personal emails to them. If you picked say a hundred people you could select several current, active members as the 'senders'. This would avoid the spam issue, would identify and ask back people who have added a lot to the community and do it in a less impersonal and inefficient way than a mass emailing (with all the inherent problems such a mass mailing would birng.)

majin_fett
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 06:51

I'd be down with helping with that.

jd
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 06:57 · Edited by: jd

I'm definitely a fan of Jeremy's plan. Any mass-generated email would just end up looking plain and personally I'd just delete it. I'd also totally be willing to help out as well.

skevington
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 09:01

So any volunteers to go through the membership list in such a way?

jd
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 09:10

Sure! It'll give me something to do in between papers.

master_chief
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 12:11

I'd definately like to volunteer.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.022
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0