Outpost 10F Forums / OTF News / Unofficial Email Thread
master_chief
# Posted: 26 Apr 2009 12:10 · Edited by: master_chief

edited for clarification.

Thanks,
Brandon CL4

daecrist
# Posted: 26 Apr 2009 16:28

When I mentioned getting in touch with older chatters in another thread I meant something more along the lines of people contacting others they still kept in touch with on MSN or their chat client of choice and encouraging them to pop into the chat room from time to time. I've done that very thing on several occasions and gotten some old timers to pop in for a bit.

Creating an "unofficial" group in Gmail to do something that we've already agreed is a bad idea in an official capacity is just trying to dodge around the problem. Sure the Outpost won't be flagged as spammers if this is being done from a Gmail group, but at the same time we're still potentially annoying people by bombarding their inbox.

So if you still keep in touch with somebody who used to chat at OTF and you think they'd like to come back then by all means encourage them to come back and hang out. We've always relied on people coming to us and staying for the community, and that's the tack we should still be taking today by working to retain new members and get word of mouth out there.

So bottom line, please don't move ahead with this "unofficial" mailing project.

babel
# Posted: 26 Apr 2009 16:40

My idea was based on selecting a limited amount of people we knew, organising ourselves to email a number of them each from our own email acounts. If OTF doesn't want to be involved in this 'officially' so be it. I'm still planning on going ahead with the idea.

mezoti
# Posted: 26 Apr 2009 16:48

There's a difference between emailing a limited number of people YOU know and emailing a whole genre list, as Brandon was suggesting in the other thread. As it is, Brandon is new and frankly, those he knows are most likely still coming to OTF.

I mean, if you want to email friends you've lost touch with, that's fine. Spamming people you don't even remember, isn't.

daecrist
# Posted: 26 Apr 2009 16:52

Quoting: mezoti
There's a difference between emailing a limited number of people YOU know and emailing a whole genre list, as Brandon was suggesting in the other thread. As it is, Brandon is new and frankly, those he knows are most likely still coming to OTF.

I mean, if you want to email friends you've lost touch with, that's fine. Spamming people you don't even remember, isn't.

Yup, pretty much agree with Brandi here. Getting in touch with old friends through the grapevine is a great idea. I just don't want to see people "going down the list" as was suggested before.

babel
# Posted: 26 Apr 2009 17:05

Just want to point out that I made my last post to clarify, rather than stir things up. I thought of only going for people we used to know personally and I thought that a little bit of of organisation would not go amiss. It's something that I sort of discussed with Andrew Maxwell before the tenth anniversary - ie of trying to get the old regulars to drop in. I'm sure that myself and the people who responded offering help are sensible enough not to abuse such an idea - ie come across as spammers, which we all have agreed is exactly what we want to avoid.

master_chief
# Posted: 26 Apr 2009 17:27

I appreciate the responses and I will go whatever way the Outpost wants to go. As far as, "As it is, Brandon is new and frankly, those he knows are most likely still coming to OTF." I've been here five years now. I don't know if you'd call that new but I appreciate your characterization nonetheless. I'm going to edit my post to cancel the idea. Thanks for listening.

-Brandon

daecrist
# Posted: 26 Apr 2009 17:32

Quoting: babel
Just want to point out that I made my last post to clarify, rather than stir things up.

Quoting: master_chief
I'm going to edit my post to cancel the idea. Thanks for listening.

You guys don't need to quash the idea entirely. That wasn't my intent. Contacting friends and encouraging them to come back is a good idea, and by all means you should go ahead with it. I just want to be sure that we're only contacting old friends rather than outsourcing mass mailings to a group that can't be targeted as spammers.

master_chief
# Posted: 26 Apr 2009 17:39

Babel: Let me know how you'd like to go ahead. Thanks.

-Brandon

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.020
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0