· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF News / Outpost News Network Writers Needed
daecrist
# Posted: 5 Feb 2010 15:29 · Edited by: daecrist

Can you string a sentence together in a halfway understandable manner?

Do you have an attention to detail and the ability to proofread yourself?

Are you passionate about a subject that is covered at the Outpost?

Are you passionate about a nerdy subject that isn't covered at the Outpost but you think would be a good fit for the site?

I'm looking for writers for the Outpost News Network that we are working on launching in conjunction with the relaunch of Entertainment. Currently we need:

Contributors: Must have strong writing skills, a passion for their subject, a basic understanding of how to research and follow news trends on the Internet, a very basic knowledge of HTML or a willingness to learn formatting tags, and a willingness to write at least one ~500 word blog post every few days.

Editors: Must have a strong grasp of the English language, the ability to work with others, the ability to proofread several ~500 word articles a day and certify them for publication, and the ability to hold Team members to a deadline.

If you feel that you would fit either of these requirements then please respond to this forum post with a brief explanation of what you would like to write about, why you think you would be a good choice for writing, and a brief writing sample in the style of a news post about the subject you would like to cover that is no more than 400 words.

This is an exciting new venture that we'll be using to help market the Outpost to the web at large. For a long time we've held steady to our spot based solely on our reputation as one of the longest lasting fan communities on the web, but it's time for us to go on the offensive and start providing regular content that is of interest to people in a Web 2.0 world.

The Outpost News Network is that line to the outside world, and the writers and editors who assist with this project will be at the forefront of the Outpost's marketing push in 2010 with excellent chances for leadership positions and promotions.

Do you have what it takes?

jd
# Posted: 5 Feb 2010 21:27

If we can find some writers, I'm down for doing some copy editing.

sarek1
# Posted: 5 Feb 2010 21:34

I write shorter articles (200-300 words) once a month for another Trek site. I can post something up if you like, but I'd rather be an editor.

lazynoob
# Posted: 5 Feb 2010 21:37

I'll write just let me lknow what needs to be done eh

dierna
# Posted: 7 Feb 2010 03:02

Im game. Just depends on the type of news you're looking for. I'd be willing to either write articles (which is what I have the most experience in anyways. I mean hey. Not every news article I've posted over the years has been copying and pasting. I even had a column in the OTF newsletter years back.) or even edit.

daecrist
# Posted: 7 Feb 2010 14:26

I've got something special in mind for you, Dierna, considering your years and years of experience.

(I still remember keeping up on happenings in the geek world through your ICQ messages all those years ago!)

sf_warp
# Posted: 7 Feb 2010 15:21

I fancy myself as a writer. When I was in high school (eons ago, it seems) I wrote for the school paper. An editorial I wrote back then was published in the local newspaper. I want very much to do this. I have most of the skills required and I can cultivate the rest.

dierna
# Posted: 7 Feb 2010 21:32

Quoting: daecrist
(I still remember keeping up on happenings in the geek world through your ICQ messages all those years ago!)

Ah those were the days... I haven't used ICQ in YEAAARS. Mostly cuz everyone I talk to is on Facebook.

majin_fett
# Posted: 11 Feb 2010 10:55

I already report on comic book news (mainly Marvel) as it is, so if you need someone for that...

daecrist
# Posted: 11 Feb 2010 15:28

Quoting: majin_fett
I already report on comic book news (mainly Marvel) as it is, so if you need someone for that...

Would you like to do webcomics as well?

deboe
# Posted: 11 Feb 2010 18:03

a webcomic sounds interesting..maybe a comic strip of humorous things that happen in OTF.

majin_fett
# Posted: 11 Feb 2010 19:39

I think he means reporting on webcomics, not drawing webcomics. 'Sides, the Blue Report already has a comic strip about OTF.

And no, I wouldn't mind reporting on webcomics, as I read at least ten as it is.

daecrist
# Posted: 11 Feb 2010 20:19

Sounds good. Added you to the list.

dierna
# Posted: 12 Feb 2010 21:32

Quoting: majin_fett
And no, I wouldn't mind reporting on webcomics, as I read at least ten as it is.

Only 10? I read shoot... I've lost count how many I read. *counts* About 55....

majin_fett
# Posted: 12 Feb 2010 23:31

I didn't realize this was a competition...

daecrist
# Posted: 13 Feb 2010 13:30

I read about 3 regularly, so clearly I win.

Madscientist
# Posted: 4 Jul 2010 10:57

I would be game to do some writing for the news @ Outpst 10F.

I know a slight bit of HTML and am willing to learn more.

I would be interested in reporting news on Sci-tech or anythingthat an editor requires.

Just let me know from what perspective you want it and it will be done.

ares
# Posted: 22 Aug 2010 00:07

I would like to join.yes i know im the stupiest person here and the worst speller but please pretty please with a cherry on topdaecrist

ares
# Posted: 22 Aug 2010 00:08

I would like to try,im the worlds wost speller but i do like to write storys.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.027
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0