· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF News / Rank Structure Overhaul
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
quincyw
# Posted: 21 Apr 2011 10:10

That was what I was saying in my previous post. I just had a bit more time to expand it further and clarify.

Of course, this all depends on where we want 10F to go after this. We (will) now have the rank structure in place, but do we have the Departments, jobs etc to do it with?

Oh and contrary to some popular belief, my above example of some lowly CL4 helping out is not an attempt by me trying to usurp my old Simming Team domain. No, it isn't!

ajcardall
# Posted: 21 Apr 2011 11:07

Quoting: quincyw
That was what I was saying in my previous post. I just had a bit more time to expand it further and clarify.

Of course, this all depends on where we want 10F to go after this. We (will) now have the rank structure in place, but do we have the Departments, jobs etc to do it with?

Oh and contrary to some popular belief, my above example of some lowly CL4 helping out is not an attempt by me trying to usurp my old Simming Team domain. No, it isn't!

The priorities are the moment are to roll out the expanded rank ladder and let people get used to that new system, as well as revamping the Outpost front page and Dmitri getting started on his Marketing venture. The plan - and hope - is that a modern homepage, Dmitri's marketing skills and expanded ladder with extra rewards will help entice people through the doors, and encourage them to get involved with various teams and departments.

We would need to look at how the teams and departments run and operate, and decide with a centralised system or collection of autonomous entities would be the better solution looking and moving forward.

Regardless, the brevet promotions idea is something that we are looking at working with when we reach this stage - it would vastly increase the pool of talent from which we can appoint leaders and department heads, as well as advisors and the likes.

quincyw
# Posted: 21 Apr 2011 12:20

Well...

I'm not sure what version of 10F we're on now. Still 2.0 or is this 3.0? We might consider merging these projects together.

As for Departments, I think we should switch it from one megalithic structure and as you suggested, to break it up. Sorry, one megalithic event.

My current thinking is that say, Trivia, for example, instead of one event, have Vic or something similar post a Trivia question, staged over a week, giving the entire community a go. And also archived questions as well, to keep people interested.

I say this because Simming, for example, was an absolute pain to figure out when was a good time to host one. I say this with some authority here, by the way. Even with long term Sim projects, it was difficult keeping staff on.

But I believe by having each project (term used loosely), in an ongoing form, would help more.

This is getting rather off topic. Should we start a new thread on the topic of Departments and/or how 10F has fun and stuff thread? I'm willing to apply my analysis skills on that. Bring it on!

ajcardall
# Posted: 21 Apr 2011 12:29

Feel free to knock one up, good Sir

quincyw
# Posted: 21 Apr 2011 13:20

Me? I'm too tired to think.

Besides, I'm nicknamed "Chief" at work. I pick out mistakes, remind people of stuff and point things out because the Chief is there to make sure you don't go too far off course. I'm better at playing the role of "Advocate's Devil" and refining plans than coming up with one of my own.

It's one of the reasons my Sims sucked.

But, if you start off with a current "What we have"; and "what we had" in terms of Departments and sub-sections, I'll take a look and see where we're at. I pretty much want to see a giant overview of what 10F is, at the moment. The blueprints.

ajcardall
# Posted: 21 Apr 2011 21:07

Hey,

Ok, I've been given the green light to look into departmental structure, so will begin to do so shortly...!

quincyw
# Posted: 22 Apr 2011 01:39

AJ, my good sir, I'll be sending you an email in the next day or two. It's going to be fairly significant, so I hope you'll work on it.

I'm feeling rather energized by this. First time I've managed to make an argument and sustain it and win people on to my side.

Molon Labe! Come and get it!

quincyw
# Posted: 9 May 2011 10:19

Uh, AJ... I'm a bit amused.

Regarding your little Departmental Updates post on promotion recommendations...

1: With the promotion recommendations, are we going off the old CL system, or the new?

2: If old, did you politely remind everybody that the promotion requirements under the old system are still in effect?

3: If we're still on the old system and those that do get promoted, would they under the new system then jump several CL levels as we change over?

We are most amused!

ajcardall
# Posted: 9 May 2011 13:11

Quoting: quincyw
1: With the promotion recommendations, are we going off the old CL system, or the new?

...please tell me this is not a serious question?

Do you seriously think we would move to the new rank system without someone mentioning it? I didn't mention that fact we're still on the old one, as it would be entirely superfluous, really.

Same with point 2. It wasn't mentioned because nothing changed, so I'm not going to sit here and spoon feed folks details about things that haven't changed. I penned the update thinking people could think for themselves and had a shred of logic and common sense.

It appears I may have been mistaken in that?

And, as for point 3.... good grief. That has been mentioned many times before. Go back and re-read.

Are you making points for the sheer hell of it, because these three truly are... well... facepalm worthy.

quincyw
# Posted: 9 May 2011 13:23

Yeah, I have no idea where I was going with that... Maybe I'll just stick to what I'm good at. *Taps inbox*

I really am going to stop sticking my nose in places now.

shakeycat
# Posted: 14 May 2011 06:37

No.

ajcardall
# Posted: 14 May 2011 09:40

\o/

master_chief
# Posted: 20 May 2011 13:35

I think it would be cool to have Enlisted ranks. I personally would like to become a Master Chief.

Anyway, just a thought

quincyw
# Posted: 20 May 2011 13:49

Quoting: master_chief
I think it would be cool to have Enlisted ranks. I personally would like to become a Master Chief.

A good idea in principle, but there are a few issues with that (using the proposed rank chart AJ originally put up in the first post):

1: If we were to create say, an Enlisted equivalent to the current officer ranks. Say that... CL7 is Lieutenant for Officer; and say Petty Officer 2nd/1st class in the Enlisted... But that would mean hypothetically, they are Enlisted, but because of the CL level would "out rank" CL6 and below.

2: So because we can't really have a "sideways/alternate" rank structure, it means the Enlisted ranks would have to be "below CL1"... And create an even more inflated rank structure!

3: Or, we could have a merging of the two. Kind of goes back to my Brevet rank idea, but still not a very good one. A member may choose to rank up "Enlisted" while "Officer" would be reserved for Department. Sorry, Team ranks. So the older members who have been here say 10+ years would get a very senior "Enlisted"" rank; and they could have it upgraded to "Officer" if they choose to do some work.

This is, of course, not a particularly good idea, but would be the easiest implementation.

Of course, there's four...

4: Bravo Fleet at one point had an Enlisted rank structure... They still might. Enlisted personnel, when they reached a high enough rank, could augment into Officer status... From memory Chief Petty Officer into Ensign; Senior Chief to LTJG; and Master Chief to full Lieutenant.

Though the obvious argument would be why someone who reaches Chief rank would want to go Officer! This of course, ties back into 3.

I got nothing. I'm going to bed now.

daecrist
# Posted: 20 May 2011 16:09

Enlisted ranks are something we considered but ultimately decided against because it doesn't really fit in with the ST/SW naval rank structure.

ajcardall
# Posted: 20 May 2011 16:18 · Edited by: ajcardall

To elaborate on HAL's point, a secondary reason we rejected the idea was because it would mean a reduction in rank title for many people. For example, Captains would find themselves back at Ensign (or something similar), and the predicted fallout was too great to consider further exploration of the idea.

The alternative was also seen as defeating the purpose of the expansion. While it is possible to merely add the NCO ranks below the current CL2/Ensign slot, nothing at all would change for current members, and it is for that we explored this change.

In theory, it sounds nice and neat. In practice, it would have the potential to alienate and upset many who felt they were being punished.

quincyw
# Posted: 21 May 2011 13:21

What about the Ambassador thing? So... Say, those old veterans (I'm thinking the plethora of current CL6, 7 and 8) who don't really fall into the chain of command anymore. While we still very much respect their past contributions...

Should we possibly have a rank system whereby inactive senior members get sideways punted into Ambassador, or say a kind of Honorary Master Chief (Petty Officer)? That way, new people don't feel as if they're up against a plethora of old greats.

I'm just having a thought here. Don't know where it's going.

master_chief
# Posted: 30 May 2011 12:17

Any thoughts on when this would be implemented?

ajcardall
# Posted: 2 Jun 2011 04:23

Quoting: master_chief
Any thoughts on when this would be implemented?

Brandon,

I emailed Iain regarding this, and he said he was looking to make the change at the end of the month, so... 4/5 weeks time, I would imagine!

shakeycat
# Posted: 5 Jun 2011 05:22

Seriously?

ajcardall
# Posted: 5 Jun 2011 06:57 · Edited by: ajcardall

No

It is all one big elaborate joke. Foiled!

master_chief
# Posted: 6 Jun 2011 13:22

sweet,.thanks

shakeycat
# Posted: 7 Jun 2011 15:03

Oh, thank god. You really had me going there.

zachr
# Posted: 18 Oct 2011 04:03

I'm confused by the last couple posts. Is any of this real?

quark
# Posted: 19 Oct 2011 21:04 · Edited by: quark

-_-

Sarcasm is now illegal for AJ.

ajcardall
# Posted: 3 Feb 2012 12:17

It WAS real, yes.

Was being the key word

generalmax
# Posted: 15 Apr 2012 15:16

How important an issue is the ranking system to the wider membership?

Personally, I don't care how many pips I have or have not got on my epaulettes. If an individual has the necessary skills & is willing to make this a thriving place, then they should be embraced & snapped up, regardless of whether they are a corporal or colonel.

If Bill Gates joined tomorrow & was willing to help, I wouldn't be saying to him; "Sorry Bill you can't help, your only an Ensign with CL2".

Kind regards,

Maximilian

quincyw
# Posted: 16 Apr 2012 13:13

Quoting: generalmax
If Bill Gates joined tomorrow & was willing to help, I wouldn't be saying to him; "Sorry Bill you can't help, your only an Ensign with CL2".

Actually, he'd be an Ambassador. There has been at least one instance of a sci fi author visiting 10F and we bestowed him/her the rank of Ambassador for the day to you know, welcome them, celebrate their achievements.

That way, they don't enter the chain of command. Those who do (at CL2) will then have to prove themselves by providing to 10F.

ajcardall
# Posted: 22 Apr 2012 11:56

People still talk about this?

naberrie
# Posted: 22 Apr 2012 19:17

Andrew, I suppose we're all wondering where we're going, seeying as OTF is, obviously, not dead (yet??).

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.023
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0