· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF v3 Ideas / Rank System Consultation
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
amandasp
# Posted: 25 Oct 2007 18:09

Quoting: bria
With the exception of Lee, it's become very, very rare that I see EC members around the chats.

Um.... really... because I've been in there everyday for the last two weeks. When did I get kicked out of the EC? Seriously... to give credit... there's a few of us. We just aren't on at the same time or maybe we can't stay that long, but I try to stop in an hour a day at least. I just want people to realize that the EC is not that out of touch. We do know that there needs to be major changes and this has been discussed before... it's just been shot down. So we've kinda taken the liberty to come forward. We want change and the popularity of OTF back as much as the next member.

~ Amanda ~

Feeble
# Posted: 25 Oct 2007 18:20

Hey, I think it's fair to say that this is actually no one's fault. This is all a natural wind down and perhaps we've all become a bit complacent in looking at the place objectively. What's important is discussion then action.

I agree with Polson, I think this needs to still have a sci-fi/fantasy basis... but the restrictive rooms 'Star Trek' 'Star Wars' 'Lord of the Rings' etc etc just seems kind've silly and dated. Why not have Trek, Wars, Gate, Farscape, Alias, Buffy, SeaQuest, Sliders etc etc etc all in one community which is here for the appreciation of such shows all together? Which would make it much easier for Trivia to host things like an Indiana Jones trivia night, or something given there's already a broader focus. Also, I think this would help departments like Guilds in a more widening focus.

As soon as you start compartmentalising different things off from each other, it almost gives the stigma that you have to be one and not the other. I would like to be 'affiliated' with all three branches of chat here, but can't at this point in time... and that's not to say that I think that's a cure, I think it's just better to make it clear, we are all fans of Sci-fi/Fantasy and that's one element in our personalities that we all got in common.

buck_murray
# Posted: 25 Oct 2007 19:06

I agree with Polson! On the note about promotions. I have been in this community for 10 years, and I am sure like a few people, I see people that zip-zap up a bunch of HTML and make Captain, while the citizens of the community for a decade get a pat on the head, as Polson said. It should be more about the character of a person and the good behavior of the person, only a small added bonus if they are in a department, but that shouldn't be ALL.

And Yes, ditch the D'D and the Rotarren, since they opened I thought they wouldn't ever fill up with more than 10 people. Keep it minimal.

And NO on the expanded rank structure, I understand what some of the folks that brought that up are trying to do, but I know that me and Polson who have been here a decade would get bumped down to the bottom again and start all over with a super-sized stampede of cluster. NO!

Thanks for listening and God Bless.

buck_murray
# Posted: 25 Oct 2007 19:28

ALSO, I Highly suggest not taking away the Sci-Fi theme of the place, making this into a general chat will be like taking it to Yahoo and saying "Here ya go"

DON'T DO IT... Do not take away the character of the place.

darth_balco
# Posted: 25 Oct 2007 21:36

Quoting: kayana

In conjunction with that, I've been thinking about introducing special chat "ranks" as well that are based on no of hours chatted. The more hours you chat the more priviliges you unlock like say custom smileys, or a gift to put in your dossier. That way, for OTFers who simply want to chat, they don't feel left out either and can look forward to having new toys and games to play with. This will be done REGARDLESS of recs from seniors but simply on hours chatted so that no one feels left out.

I'm having a little trouble understanding how this would be more effective than to just give them the same chance at senior membership. I'm not trying to start up trouble, but from what I see of this is that it's still separates them from the members that are in department, at least that's how I see it. Or is it not separate? I'm confused.

Though I still think we should at least look into the prospects of being open theme as I see it's still gonna be OTF regardless of what theme it has because of the people that made it what it was. However, turning the Sci-Fi into a broad theme would work since it would encompass all sorts of shows that people like, as SG and others pointed out.

I would get rid of the affiliations, they seem outdated as well. And just have on chat room. Like keep the name Ten Forward but make it general Sci-Fi theme instead of a specific brand.

majin_fett
# Posted: 25 Oct 2007 21:39

I like the name "Outpost Bar & Grill".

No, seriously.

polson
# Posted: 25 Oct 2007 22:17

Here's a thought...what if we featured chat rooms? Like each month, the primary chat would be TF, CCC, MT or "the New room" (if one exists) and that chat room is the ONLY accessable chat room (save for special events like Trivia). No wait. That sounds stupid even to me now that I say it. Well it was a thought. You can ignore me.

polson
# Posted: 25 Oct 2007 22:22

Hey I just thought of something that could be fun. Or it could be stupid. If it's stupid, you can lump it with my previous suggestion.

What if there was a "weird rank" drop down option (similar to the old armory, you slect a something and then you select a something else under that category)? You could select "default rank" and it would give you whatever matches your cl and affiliation, or you could select "Weird Rank" and beneath that is a drop down for like, a hundred different ranks? Know what I mean Vern? They would then be totally appropriate and we wouldn't have to worry about lamers putting in whatever they want. I totally volunteer to make up the ranks too!!! You know...assuming this isn't a stupid idea.

darth_balco
# Posted: 25 Oct 2007 23:12

Quoting: polson
What if there was a "weird rank" drop down option (similar to the old armory, you slect a something and then you select a something else under that category)? You could select "default rank" and it would give you whatever matches your cl and affiliation, or you could select "Weird Rank" and beneath that is a drop down for like, a hundred different ranks? Know what I mean Vern? They would then be totally appropriate and we wouldn't have to worry about lamers putting in whatever they want. I totally volunteer to make up the ranks too!!! You know...assuming this isn't a stupid idea.

That has the potential for a lot of laughs, I would have three options though. Your custom rank (and if a lamer is being naughty, well just lay the smack down on him *l*), the Weird Rank,and the Random Rank. Like the Weird Rank only you have no control over it, you just pick it and enter the chat and see what kind of a weird funny rank you get.

babel
# Posted: 25 Oct 2007 23:13

Hi.

I'll read through and respond properly tomorrow.

Texand others: I think the rank discussion is an idea at least worth throwing out. Nowt wrong with ideas, especially if they get people talking!

The EC, as other members who have posted on this thread have said, wants to address the problems we've had recently. And we *are* going to listen. This thread is just the beginning of a process whereby we consult you all as it;s our collective responsibility, I think, so deal with the problems we are having.

I very much care about OTF and don't like seeing things so . . slumped round here. A lot of other people trhink so too, so let's do something!

Keep the ideas rolling in.

bria
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 01:05

I hear you all on rank privileges etc... the only thing is, yes, department work should be mostly for fun and all that. At the same time, though, it's nice to get something for it at the end of the day.

Personally, it makes no difference to me. I'm not really in a department, I didn't really want my last promotion, and I certainly don't want another. But I know that back in the day, receiving a promotion was a nice reward for the work I did put in.

But, and this is a big "but". I also remember feeling pretty disappointed when, for a few months (while I was eligible, obviously), I did a lot of work and nothing happened. I got praise, but no "formal" acknowledgment. And I thought about it, and I realised that simply because others were being rewarded - for less, I of course thought - in a "material" way, insofar as that's possible online, I felt cheated when I was given nothing but a "Well done, you did that really well". Which is kind of stupid, because when I think about it, someone's appreciation is much more important to me than custom avatar access or HTML. But the promotion system kind of cheapens praise, I guess.

I hasten to add that I no longer feel like that, but I can totally understand people who do. It's a horrible feeling to be passed over for promotion while someone who hardly did anything earns one. Not because you necessarily want the privileges, but because you want the recognition.

So if anyone can come up with a solution to that one, I'd be very interested in hearing it. Not more ranks or rewards, as most people seem to agree on, but something else. A way of saying "Well done", a way of making someone feel proud of what they do. Without having to go through a formalised process first.

kayana
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 02:34 · Edited by: kayana

Balco
Quoting: darth_balco
I'm having a little trouble understanding how this would be more effective than to just give them the same chance at senior membership. I'm not trying to start up trouble, but from what I see of this is that it's still separates them from the members that are in department, at least that's how I see it. Or is it not separate? I'm confused.

Balco, what I was getting at is that for chat time people would get special gifts kind of like the hatching gifts on facebooks. Say for example a special avatar for the month of June or a gift for the dossier and so on. Not seniority or a change of rank but something a little different to say hey thank you for chatting and btw hopes this make your stay at OTF more fun.

The idea here is to bring back ranks to being fun goals not a cyber "career" the way it is now. To have more ranks and types of ranks not as an opportunity for CL 1 million to lord it over CL 5,000 but so that it becomes more of a game where everyone can play rather than seniors vs. juniors or vice versa. Kind of like say WOW or other online sites where the more you chat or play the more gifts you can unlock around the site. The benefit with having chat "ranks"/gifts is that it's based solely on no of hours chatted (obviously we will think of controls to prevent cheating) so that for OTFers who like only to chat they can have fun too and vice versa. Do you kind of get what I'm saying? What do the rest of you think?

And yes I think appreciation is good. *nod nod* SMs and AMs too (I believe) have to fill out end of the month dept reports so it would be nice if we could include a section that says well done to people who've worked hard at OTF- if we put our thinking hats on I think we can think of ways to give back to the peeps who did all the work in the first place
To everyone else thank you all for the time you've put and the ideas you've come up- On the EC list we're all aware of this forum and are reading it and discussing it. I don't know where this is going to go or how we want to make things change but at the very least we're listening.

Kayana

sg8472
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 04:40

In my opinion, abolish the ranks as they stand now. While it's nice to get the recognition deserved, in a way they motivate people for all the wrong reasons.

People are becoming too entwined in the departments that the chat is actually suffering. Firstly, I think we have far too many departments than are necessary, and because we have this segregation of genres, we've far too many teams within the departments. That was fine 2 years ago, even last year, but we've seen a large decline in visitors who stay until they're eligible to join a department. Nowadays, we don't have the resources to keep all of this going.

Downsize the ISA to a single cross-genre team; downsize Entertainment to Trivia (it's the only constant entertainment these days); and to be perfectly honest I don't even know what or if the other departments do anything.

Then I'd examine ranks. What's a 'Jedi Knight' or 'Captain' in relation to how OTF operates?

I'm a "Captain" and I think I was pretty much begining to phase myself out of the community when I was awarded that, due to exams and such. I was actually surprised I even got it. It sounds nice and all, but I've not done anything for OTF in months! And I still have this nice shiny title with all the nice shiny privileges.

Ranks should have privileges and responsibilities assigned to them, that's what a rank is, and when you no longer have the time to maintain your duties, you step down, revert to a non-specific title, and somebody else takes over.

For example, if you're in the ISA, you can have some rank which says so, ie."ISA Member" or "Security Member", or "Content Moderator" or something that clearly shows you do actually have the authority to enforce rules.

A QC is an administrator, for lack of a better term. There's your title, and it actually gives people an idea of your position is and what it entails.

Outside of these department based ranks, and there would be the ones most people would wear, which would be time-based titles based on how long you've been a member. Here's an idea, call new members "New Members" and people who've been around a while can be called "Members" and those who have been here for years and have been contributing all that time "Senior Members"

Give privileges based on these, but also on whether they are in a department, don't just give privileges to a CL7 because they're a CL7. Have the fun ones accessible after certain periods of time of membership, ie. Custom ranks and avatars. And have the operational privileges for people in operational roles.

Basically, use the ranks to motivate people to participate if that's what they want, but don't enforce them upon others. Other ranks and privileges can assigned with the "official" roles and positions.

Oh, and I still stick by getting rid of genres also. They're suffocating us! We might see an influx of new Star Trek members when the next movie comes out (coz JJ Abrams rawks my world!) but what about the year in between? Broaden the community, broaden to sci-fi & fantasy, and people who like Stargate but never watched ST or SW might start showing up. Or the Babylon 5 fans might appear. BSG has a solid fan base, and with it coming to an end after season 4 there'll be a lot of fans looking for like-minds to keep it alive a little longer.

Ditch the 5 chat-rooms and bring it to 1 or 2. Have we ever seen more than 2 rooms in use? And make it either a non-specific chat, where everyone can go, not just Trek fans, or have an alternating theme, or user-specific chat-tops.

jaquaia
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 04:47

I agree with Polson, I like the sci-fi/fantasy theme, it's what attracted me in the first place (we should have more Dr Who!), it's somewhere I can go and be really geeky and talk about how much I love fantasy and sci-fi and no one will jump on me for being a geek. But I agree it should be more generalised rather then focus on ST, SW and LOTR. Under a general heading sci-fi and fantasy encompasses so much more, you've got Dr Who, Stargate, Firefly, Final Fantasy, and that's just off the top of my head, we have so much scope to appeal to so many!

Ranks don't bother me but I don't see the point in adding any more. Anniversary awards need a huge overhaul if they're kept though. Too many people got them for who they are rather then what they'd done this year. You have people who chat all the time, or work hard in departments, who get their award to say 'hey, thanks for your contribution over the past 12 months' but what does that mean when you later see people awarded them for not even logging in for the past year.

Agree about chat rooms too, do we really need 5? Keep the offices but I think the rest do need streamlining.

And definately agree about rules in chat. I think they need to be relaxed a bit, what's wrong with some innuendo? I'm not saying blatant discussion of someones sex life but subtle innuendo can be very funny. I know some nights I've spent in chat, AJ and FM had me in stitches. Chat can be a very fun place to be but we need to make it that, be allowed to use subtle innuendo without constantly being reminded it's family friendly is one suggestion I've already seen and want to echo.

That'll do for now I suppose.

bria
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 06:08

And yes I think appreciation is good. *nod nod* SMs and AMs too (I believe) have to fill out end of the month dept reports so it would be nice if we could include a section that says well done to people who've worked hard at OTF- if we put our thinking hats on I think we can think of ways to give back to the peeps who did all the work in the first place

Y'know, this is kind of what I was getting at. Do we need sections in reports, more fancy coding etc, in order to tell people thanks? Why not just dig out their email and just send them a few words all by yourself? Polson does it.

And I don't think there's any need to get rid of the ranks we have. Just remove some of the emphasis from them. If you can have as much as CL2 as you can with CL7, then yays. I do like the idea of unlocking special privileges for chatting a lot, if it's a system which doesn't need more voting and EC consultation and just gets on with it (no offence, I just think you guys have enough of that )

Leading me to another thing to think about - is there any way of changing it so that if you don't say anything for ten minutes or whatever, you time out? That way, people can't just sit there and press receive. Which is kind of a silly thing to do anyway, but yes.

kayana
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 07:25

Bria, hmmm perhaps a thank you box would be nice for people to say thanks for stuff that goes on around the site whether anonymously or not. Red tape is a problem but I'm lost at a solution that makes sure people do remember to say thank you while not adding more work to departments. Still, something to think about.

Yep the chat ranks would be based on chat hours alone not personal recs.

*pokes Lee* we should start compiling a list of suggestions so far eh

kayana
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 07:28

And yes, I'm still of the opinion that we need to make ranks fun again and easily accessible not something for people to feel bitter about but I'm against abolishing them because that's part of the fun of OTF (or at least used to be). We just need to figure out a way to make it more fun while making sure that people's work isn't taken for granted either.

Removing ranks/roles/chats- this is going to need a comprehensive plan/overhaul so keep the feedback coming.

Thanks,

K

ajcardall
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 08:00

Svenja,

Actually, Iain and I discussed this, and there could be a way around people using large/obscene avatars and stuff, and it sounds like it could really work.

Oh, and if you want to revamp the ranks, give people custom ranks. They're always a laugh, and it reduces the impact, in some way, of the current rank structure (which I maintain is still too rigid and outdated).

And as CT said, cut away a lot of the useless leadership posts and projects. Why does everything in OTF have to go through a project or department? It seems these days that you can't contribute unless you sign up to a department, and then you have to do a certain amount each month. Ever heard of a "flash in the pan"?

I've seen the stupid amount of useless redtape and procedure myself as SM and EC member, and it's ridiculous, and I bet it hasn't improved since. Change it. The red-tape is choking this place.

bria
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 09:10

I'm lost at a solution that makes sure people do remember to say thank you while not adding more work to departments.

Well, people shouldn't be made to say thank you anyway, they should either do it of their own accord or not at all. A forced thank-you means f-all. I think that's a big part of the problem. A lot of stuff is being taken for granted - and by that I do mean everyone, or nearly everyone. Not the EC, not the "regular" members, not department staff - everyone. And it's no one's fault because everyone tends to take things for granted. *l*

I think if everyone realised what everyone else was doing, and if we could forget the ranks and systems and bureaucratic stuff for a while, we'd all get along much better. And we'd all have time and interest to just hang out together and chat.

Think about it.

bria
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 09:13

And as regards custom avatars - that would be a nice reward for coming around often. Just like HTML. Y'know... in-chat privileges for in-chat behaviour, regardless of CL. It'd make sense to me, anyway. And have other privileges, and maybe even promotions, based on dept. work. But having those things that are directly related to chatting as a privilege for those who do so would be a nice way of rewarding them, no? You can keep the whole system as it is, privileges and all, just make the in-chat ones available to non-dept members as well.

darth_malum
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 09:18

Hmm....I've read the dialogue about adding a new room. It would seem logical, however, what brought members here long ago was how unique OTF was, and if you just make a general, open room, it may loose that unique quality that brought in members. If you're going to make a new room, look for a theme that is currently hot, and/or will spike in the future. The greatest rush of members I've seen since I've been here is the reason I came here: SW Ep. III. Minas Tirith is cool and all, and I love it, but the Lord of the Rings films are done. There's nothing to create a new popularity in the genre now. Star Wars films, as we know it, are done, for a very long time. There's still books being released, but nothing big enough to cause a major spike in members. As for ST, I'm not very knowledgable, but I don't think anything big in the ST genre has come out it a while, generating no new interest spikes. We need something that will have a huge interest spike in the near future, and will continually have these over time to generate new members. This is all just my speculation, of course.

dierna
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 10:27

Quoting: polson
You could select "default rank" and it would give you whatever matches your cl and affiliation, or you could select "Weird Rank" and beneath that is a drop down for like, a hundred different ranks?

Ok.. I like the weird rank option. But for members that have been here for like a year or more have them able to do custom ranks and avatars as well. This way everyone is happy.

As for the genres. Yea... just make it sc-if/fantasy...maybe 2 rooms at least. As it's been said Im sure lots of folks will be showing up once the new movie is out (gee thanks JJ for the reboot ) but till then what do we have? Sure there's the new Star Wars stuff coming out (2 tv shows) but that's not till like 2008/2009.

polson
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 16:09

Fats makes me feel dirty.

Um, I REALLY like Balco's RANDOM rank idea. Totally fun!

And I like the idea of gaining certain privileges on chat hours.

And I still think folks who recommend someone for a promo should zip them an email and tell them why. *nods at Bria for 'getting' it*

polson
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 16:37

Actually I just thought of something in the shower. Is it possible to put together a "commendation" system? It would have a drop down list of members and a box to fill in why you're sending them a personal commendation. The Outpost would then automatically send an email to that person with the information. I know that might be work to set up, but ultimatly it would make it more convenient for members (of any rank) to recognize each other. It sounds bad when you say it that way...we don't verbally appreciate one another because it's inconvenient....of course, there's truth to that...but hey! Aren't I brilliant? I tell myself so every day. *sends herself a commendation*

buck_murray
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 20:40

Okay, there are a whole lot of good ideas being brought up... and to me, some very bad ideas. I have grown up in OTF and I care about it so much that I would hate to see a major change that would kill it, I don't want to see it go down in flames.

I want to suggest something, can we put up a survey that the members can log into and take? Like a 10-20 question survey on what they like, dislike, and what options would they rather have in the chat. Then you would get a LARGE decision on what the masses think.

Just a thought

lzrman
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 21:48

I do not believe adding additional ranks would be a good idea, where would you place these "additional ranks" above/below CL x? And having a seperate departmental rank layer? I thought this was all supposed to be uniform with our current rank structure, adding this extra level will be cause for confusion. As for rewarding people for the work they have done, just look at the previous month no promotions for the people who are actually working? Monthly promotions have not been happening and are at times late and carry overs to the following month.

I agree with AJ too, look at the big picture see what each department has now, what could be changed and what they want to do and yes the red tape, needs to be cut. It is taking way to long for things to get approved, why not approve it and just see how it turns out we can always change it in the long term.

I disagree thought with the giving everyone the custom avatar feature, I believe those CL7's worked for it and it just shouldn't be given to everyone, how about those who have been members for x amount of years? because if we just give it to everyone there is room for abuse, well there is with every privilage given/granted. I think that if we are to lower the clearance value to allow CL4-5 to use this there would have to be some guidelines that would need to be set.

There is no size-limit for avatars that I am aware of, will the server auto-size these if they are to large?!

In response to Majin, why not make a centralized chatroom with a centralized theme, put all the avatars into one list. Then have open chatroom themes. Let's remove all the chats, and just have one, this would bring everyone closer together and there wouldn't be one person oh in TenForward and one in the Cantina wondering where is everyone? they can chat, regardless of affiliation, oh and speaking of affiliation lets all have the global affiliation ? we all chat everywhere it seems sensable.

Advertising to support the site, why not invest in the google adsense program ?! this would easily help support the server costs, we could even sell space to people who want to buy it. We can limit the amount here, so it is not overkill.

The spycam is required, and I would not take it out. Yes people sit up there and camp out and have a latte or 2 but hey, it is required and helps keep the chat safe, maybe people should have time limits to keep them out? after x amount of time.

As Majin said "is that pictures are more graphic (imagine that) than words." Taking this out of context, looking at OTF in the big picture, instead of who said what in text, makes things better.

Also, I know the EC likes to make decisions behind the scenes, why not let our patrons know whats going on and have their input as a whole, you get more a variety from thousands of members as a sample then 10.

I agree with a stargate theme.

As for the auto-refreshing chat, lets have a trial version of it in one of our non-existant/usable chatrooms? Lets get those InDev members to give it a whirl, and have people beta test it? I think we are in the stone age with having user refreshing chats. Other chatrooms on the net still follow this "Hit Recieve" to get the new posts, this would be a Benefit/Advantage that they do not have.

Those were my responses in regards to everyone's responses with my additives.

So it was 7 years ago that I joined OTF? why ? well I found it interesting, full of spice, and has alot of potential. During the following years I noticed it has diminished more and more, and that people are taking sides, not taking responsibility for what they are doing and its just who is with who. I can agree that we have to many divisions and why not just combine them so everyone knows what people are doing. Trivia and ISA for example, why not make everything one, a question is a question. ISA you can patrol any room your ISA. As I noted up top, people are not being recognized for the actions/work they are doing to help "Improve" the community, last month there was no promotions and what does that tell those people who are working hard? oh that they are maybe not appreciated. I think people need to keep on the ball with that to reward people.

Those are my cents.

As you have noticed there has been a great deal of responses in regards to the issues plauging this community, if you open up the lines of communication, cutting the red tape that hinders our progress to grow, creating uniformity throughout the community and making things easier then we will have a happy set of members. If things stay the way they currently are then progress cannot be achieved.

majin_fett
# Posted: 26 Oct 2007 22:45

But Buck, without some major change, OTF will go down in flames. It's heading that way now.

And I think I'm the only person against a specific Stargate theme. I can see adding some avatars for it (I think we have some in the Senior's Playground, so it won't be hard to find them), but I don't think we should have one room devoted to it. Hell, I'm thinking that we don't need to have any of the rooms devoted to one theme. That's why I would like to cut down on the rooms to one or two. We all only stick to one room anyways. Just make it general sci-fi/fantasy. No, I am not saying make it just open themed. Keep the sci-fi/fantasy! That is part of the foundation of OTF.

I know that Lzr said that the spycam helps keep the chatroom safe. If we cut down to one or two rooms, why do we need a spycam? I can see having a spycam now since we have five rooms and it's easier to keep an eye on all five, but not if we only have one room. And yes, as always, keep the offices. It makes for good private department chatting, if it's needed (which I have needed it for Trivia meetings).

And yeah, I was bummed about the promos for the most part. 90% of the people who were promoted hadn't been to OTF in a few weeks. There are a few who I definitely felt deserved them (I already let one of you know in chat).

Please, do not take anything that I've said in this post as an attack on anyone. I'm just stating some things.

osiris
# Posted: 27 Oct 2007 01:33 · Edited by: osiris

Yeah, We need the spycam, cause some people can't really afford the time, to do more than pop in and take a look at some random noobs behavior, and Well I'd be really grumpy if I had to log in every bloody time I wanted to take a peek.

And, to be honest, it's not the Subtle stuff that'll get you in trouble, It's the times that it goes way too far, or when it starts making other chatters uncomfortable. *shrugs* I guess i've not noticed the rules getting any more stringent, I've been in ISA Nigh on seven years now, and if anything it seems as if we let more slide now, than we used to in the "Good old days" Not just innuendo, per say, but other things.

Although, I should say i've been avoiding the chats for the past few months to try to stop myself from retiring, absence makes the heart grow fonder, and all that. so I may not be hugely up to date on everything, but I do know ISA. and I say it's fine as it is. This isn't some vain attempt to hold onto power, like has been stated, It's an honest assessment, that we run fine, as a self contained unit, and really have very little red tape. and to be honest, if you have a problem with any ISA officers call, do feel free to email me. I'm sure most of you know my email address.

As for the extra ranks? No don't add more.

I have no opinion either way on new chats.

I don't think custom ranks and avatars for all are a good idea, it's just eye candy and not getting to the root of the problem, which is we're not getting new members and the old ones are growing up and leaving.

but I do think the red tape needs to be trimmed out, starting at the top, and moving down. See what departments aren't performing and maybe even merge them, or cut them entirely, we did this with R&D and engineering long long ago.

Ok enough exhausted rambling from me.

buck_murray
# Posted: 27 Oct 2007 02:34

Majin, I know it is heading into the flames right now, I was just saying I don't want to see a major change that WOULD kill it, like I suggested the survey to be given to everyone, that way if there is a major change, it is in the best interest of a majority of the people, so that way it wouldn't light as many fires.

I think the Spycam should remain as well, it is a definate plus for the community for several reasons, it is for securty from violators, and a good bonus/incentive for making rank.

And I do not agree with making the chat auto-refreshing, a small reason for that is people can keep track of where they are and who is talking to who without tracing back forever. And it is un-available to some computers, like I live on a navy ship and I cannot access chatrooms that have the auto-refreshing format, but like I have said, let's put that decision in the best interest of the majority.

bria
# Posted: 27 Oct 2007 06:37 · Edited by: bria

To be honest, I don't think we need many drastic changes. I was in the chats yesterday along with a few other people, and it was actually great fun.

It's the people that make a place. Not any amount of virtual rewards and eye candy and red tape.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.055
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0