· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF v3 Ideas / Promotions
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
buck_murray
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 04:19

I just want to throw my two cents in on this one... I am like that, sorry

let's start promoting more than 10-15 people a month since there ARE hundreds upon hundreds of members, and lets try getting people from EVERY Genre (ST, SW, LotR, ect) promoted, not just two...............

buck_murray
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 04:44

Also, lets make it easier for people to get positions in a Department... and not be as strict on people about rules and regulations regarding the promotion process, it should be easier.

jaquaia
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 07:12

Why? I'm curious about your reasons for saying this

sg8472
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 07:49

I think the general idea of promotions is to only award those who are most deserving. Granted, some of the criteria is out-dated now, but I still think promoting large numbers is unnecessary. Especially considering I don't think we need to make promotions in to anymore of a big deal than they are.

bria
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 07:58

Yarr, I'm with Shane on this... if you start promoting loads of people, it kind of loses its value. Y'know, if someone works really hard and gets promoted, and another person does hardly anything but gets promoted too, because of the status quo... how would you feel if you were the former? All your hard work just to get something you could've got for a quarter of what you put in?

Promoting people just because sounds like a really bad idea for me. Sorry. I think that promotions should be fairly hard to get, and something you really have to work for.

aeon
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 11:43

I agree with Bria and SG and shall say no more.

bria
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 12:18

And - if no one in the Star Wars genre deserves a promo this month, what's the point in promoting a randomer just so we have a Star Wars promotion? Or even promoting someone just so we have "enough" promotions this month? That's kind of silly. I mean, what exactly would that promotion mean? "You won the "eeny meeny miney moe, well done"?

Never mind the fact that, if we keep doing that and aren't gaining enough new members, you're going to run out of members to promote, and out of ranks to promote them to.

majin_fett
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 13:01

I want CL10000. NOW.

polgara
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 15:18

Dudes forget bout promotion..my demotion is way over due!!!
Yes je suis back..so? bite me

bria
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 15:35

Yay she's back! *hugs*

polson
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 15:59

Ah, I remember way back when I wanted a demotion. Got one too. Earned it all by myself. It was everything I had hoped it would be and more.

Stop copying me!

sg8472
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 16:07

I feel like I need a demotion.

polson
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 16:26

If I had the power, Shane, if I had the power...

buck_murray
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 17:39

Oh well, nevermind I said anything. Go ahead and delete this forum.

bria
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 17:40

Heynow, delete it just because not everyone agrees? That's a bit harsh.

demonvamp
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 17:43

The cake is a lie. The cake is a lie. The cake is a lie.

buck_murray
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 17:50

I was just saying Bria, I came into TF wanted to achieve that rank, even if it is overrated and not worth a dime, I know that. But is something that I like about this place and I have ALWAYS liked, it is fun for me. Maybe because I am actually in the Military and I live that sort of life. I am just wanted to get to the ranks I should've been at so far, like I said, even if the ranks are 'dumb and not worth it'

bria
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 17:50

I am not schizophrenic. I am not schizophrenic. I am not schizophrenic.

Me neither!

buck_murray
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 17:52

And I didn't mean promote people 'just because' and that do not deserve it. There are plenty of folks in the Outpost that have completely good behavior for a long time, in departments and doing their best as a chatter and a friend. I am not saying promote the whole Outpost.

demonvamp
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 17:53

Quoting: bria
I am not schizophrenic. I am not schizophrenic. I am not schizophrenic.

Me neither!

Which one of you said that?

Feeble
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 17:54

I think the problem with promotions as they stand is that they /are/ the be-all and end-all of chat experience. There is very little reward for anyone who doesn't fit the promotion criteria. Sure we can get 'awards' but, there's only so many little .gifs you can get before you get fed up with them. Either promotions need to be downplayed, or there needs to be further thought on how people contribute to this place without departments, or it needs to be easier for people to do stuff /for/ departments. I don't think /everyone/ should get promotions just - because - but on the other hand, how does it make people like say Buck feel when they've known this place inside out and then get told they're 'just a lieutenant' by relative newbies - when, well, they've shown their dedication to the place.

What's so wrong with rewarding people for continually showing support to events - like Trivia or submitting to Guild competitions - being a loyal chatter and whatnot. Maybe it should be a slower promotion path, but it shouldn't be impossible. Otherwise, what the hell are the departments for? IMO

bria
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 17:55

Buck, please don't take this personally, but: OTF's ranks work in a specific way. There's a specific system. You've been here a long time, you know the system, you know the rules. If you haven't got to the rank you want to be at, then maybe you haven't been playing by the rules.

The rank you "should" be at is, according to the system, the rank you've got now. I've been a member for a bit over 4 years and I've been in several departments. I'm pretty sure that no one has ever refused to let you into a department just because they felt like it.

bria
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 17:57

Quoting: demonvamp
Which one of you said that?

It was me. *shoves me out of the way* No, it was me, I lie!

bria
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 18:01

Quoting: Feeble
I think the problem with promotions as they stand is that they /are/ the be-all and end-all of chat experience.

Dunno about you, but they aren't mine. I don't come to OTF in order to get promotions, and that's the honest truth. I really think it's a matter of how everyone sees it personally. I don't care about making CL8, in fact, if I have any say in the matter I never will. I just stopped caring about them. I worked the system until I had what I wanted, and then I stopped. I don't see why anyone else who REALLY REALLY wants to make CL whatever, can't do the same instead of complaining about how the system should adapt to their needs.

Feeble
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 18:01

Bria, you're pretty well liked in this place and have been for most of your time here... I can say - having BEEN the brunt of prejudice from departments and I will /not/ name names - that it doesn't work as easily as that for a lot of people.

Here I will get personal. I /hate/ the 'we do more for this place than you' mentality of promotions and awards here. Absolutely despise it, and I think perhaps it is one of the weaker aspect of /this/ site. Not to mention, nothing worse than people who don't know you trying to tell you the rules as if you have no idea.

buck_murray
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 18:05

I'm pretty sure that no one has ever refused to let you into a department just because they felt like it.

Well I have that one with ISA.

Also, I understand I am a CL4, and I have been a CL4 for 9 years now and I did what it took to get there, cool. But what I AM saying is what if I HAVE played by the rules.. also, I have applied to a LOT of departments, including all of the Guilds. Communications only offered me a position that is required to be at meetings every month when a servicemen in the US Navy CANNOT be here at any given time. I had to respectfully decline that. Operations and Administation never replied to my application inquiries. ISA said they didn't want me to be a part of them because they were afraid I would leave the Outpost one day. Out of all the Guilds I got one, Poetry.... and I have no HTML skills so I am worthless with those positions. What more can I say or do? I have been part of departments in the past. All I can say is, i've tried.

Feeble
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 18:07

Dunno about you, but they aren't mine. I don't come to OTF in order to get promotions, and that's the honest truth. I really think it's a matter of how everyone sees it personally.

Alright, maybe it's not /everyone's/ goal, but it's pretty damn hard when everything here points towards the advantages of ranks etc etc to not feel a bit slapped about by it if you are not one of the favoured few. It's rubbed in pretty damn hard not only from the moment you experience this site, but it's hailed as one of the top things for new arrivals, and those who've been here for a lengthy time all at the same time... Just saying.

bria
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 18:08

Bria, you're pretty well liked in this place and have been for most of your time here

I honestly don't know what I did any different from those who are being discriminated against. People don't usually just decide "Oh, we don't like him/her, let's annoy them", y'know? But maybe that's just me. I really don't know, so correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what my experience has been... I've "discriminated" against ONE person during my time as Trivia TL and that's because he couldn't behave himself properly and refused to follow the rules.

Now, maybe I'm wrong. But for me, promotions and awards aren't saying "You did more than so-and-so" but rather "You did a good job, well done". The comparison/rivalry thing doesn't have to come into it if you don't let it.

bria
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 18:10

Alright, maybe it's not /everyone's/ goal, but it's pretty damn hard when everything here points towards the advantages of ranks etc etc to not feel a bit slapped about by it if you are not one of the favoured few.

I know how what you mean. I've felt like that, believe it or not. Maybe not as much as others, but I have. I just learned to stop caring so much. It was the best way I could see of dealing with it.

Not saying that nothing should change. But if it affects you, I wouldn't hold my breath for change, I'd find a way of dealing with it independent of any official decisions and changes...

Feeble
# Posted: 29 Oct 2007 18:16

I just learned to stop caring so much. It was the best way I could see of dealing with it.

Not saying that nothing should change. But if it affects you, I wouldn't hold my breath for change

I guess, first (and I'm gonna pick a stereotype here, coz I can) it's hard to tell a fifteen year old who's struggling to find their place in life to just 'deal with it' when they've found a place they can relate to here. Or say, a woman who's suffering post-natal depression, or someone who's come out of an abusive relationship for example. These are things that people come to OTF to escape and often find themselves in a place of comfort. Sometimes it can feel when ranks ARE so highly hailed (just look when a captain/commodore whatever) enters the chat that they are no longer worthwhile after CL4 because they don't have the skills, time or want to work for the departments. I don't think that people's usefullness ends there, s'all.

As for holding my breath - not saying things are going to change. In fact I have high doubts that they will. I just think these things need to be heard, because too often we hear the people who the system has favoured say 'This is the way it works. Full stop.' and not hear the flip side. S'all I'm saying.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.026
Online now: Guests - 6
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0