· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF v3 Ideas / What is being done to change this community?
<< . 1 . 2 .
jayneway
# Posted: 5 Jan 2008 19:25

Keep going Lzr...I think all well-mannered constructive criticism should be welcome - even if it is deemed repetitive by some readers. Perhaps sometimes the question is continually asked is because the answer has never been given adequately or resolved to satisfaction. The push for change and desire for what's best for OTF should still come from the community just as strongly as in the EC.

lzrman
# Posted: 5 Jan 2008 19:50

Thanks Jayne, constructive criticism changes how things are perceived and we all get a chance to discuss how to change this community, to shape it how we all want it.

Again, thanks for your reply in regards to this thread.

Lzrman

majin_fett
# Posted: 5 Jan 2008 21:55

I think everyone first needs to just take a deep breath and relax. This kind of bickering and arguing will get us nowhere. (Holy crap, am I agreeing with Amanda?! ) One baby step at a time, folks...

lzrman
# Posted: 5 Jan 2008 22:23

My hope for this thread was to all give our thoughts, without the friction of argument. I am sure we can all have a very professional outlook to this? no?

david1
# Posted: 6 Jan 2008 00:35

HAHAHA

I had a taste of de-ja-vu then -

These posts keep happening over and over again ... (looks at a map for nearest councilor).

What started OTF in the first place?
- A Passion for a topic, which a group of people felt strongly about.

Q: Is that there today?
A: Maybe, buts its divided into small little pieces, and placed on top of yummy chocolate cakes!

Talk Talk Talk is all everyone seems to do.

I can look on this thread, and i can see a few people with all the skill needed to rebuild the website.

Q: Why arnt their skills being used to develop the website?
A: red Tape? No one has asked them? too lazy? What is stopping them banding together, and just rebuilding the website from the ground up? and giving it to the "people"?

and finally, does the EC know whats best for the community? (Not meant as in an offence)

Personally i think the EC works in a working community, but this community is broken, therfore no matter how hard the EC try, they are doomed to fail in the eyes of the members...

... when otf came around, a group of people had a vision and acted on that idea, they didnt have an EC or anyone to give them direction, or tell them what to do, and they made a massive and sucessful community, but today a lot of these "pioneers" are no longer around, and most problems get talked about, but not acted on.

I dont like to point and say its the EC who've let outpost10f slip, and become unpopular, because im sure they've done a lot of hard work for the website, and to be honest, they are the "easy" target, and it is unfair on them, behind there giant re-inforced, titanium plated golden alloy based metal wall.

Someone is gunna have to make some tough decidions, 5 years ago, so the future of otf doesnt slip. or alternativly, if a group of rouges wanna join me, we can hi-jack the tardis, and go back 5 years, and sort out this mess once and for all!

David - XgermZ

buck_murray
# Posted: 6 Jan 2008 03:10

I support Lzrman's questions on the Community and the Outpost. There is no reason for arguement just wondering the latest news on how things are coming along with the revamping.

*nods*

polson
# Posted: 6 Jan 2008 16:44

Quoting: david1
These posts keep happening over and over again ...

Aye, they do. I've been watching them repeat themselves for ten years.

Somethings change, some things don't, to be fair you're never going to be able to please everyone all the time. You do what you can and let go of what you can't.

bordner
# Posted: 6 Jan 2008 18:47

well, as a new member, i am willing to do my small part to help in any way i can. The advertising for northern Arizona will be provided free of charge to promote recriuting and marketting.
If there is anything at all this site needs from me, i am here to serve to the best of my abilities. I hope to be a long time member of 10F and look forward to serving among all of you.
Since joining 10F, it has been nothing less than a pleasure. I want to thank all of you for being so kind to me, I have made many new freinds here.

ice
# Posted: 7 Jan 2008 06:09

Well again I think these topics are great, even if some people dont wanna hear it, dont read them its simple on forums "Read the title" thats all it takes, if your not interested why interfere with those who are?

In my view saying leave it all to the EC is the biggest cop out going, besides them being otf's official voice etc their is no 1 talent their that cant be found elsewhere, we have friendly people, programmers, designers, project organizers etc etc etc (the list goes on) so the whole community could contribute. People say their are departments sat doing nothing (and for the most part I agree). here is a wild of the ball solutions that would be original & well make sense.

OTF is a community site, build OTF through its community not just indev & the ec. Get the departments involved it the construction of "v3". Why not? it means their doing something, it means more than 20people are involved.

Im not saying rebuild from scratch or give everyone server access as its not required, why not get all depts working & involved in parts & use indev & the EC to pick out the good quality stuff, organize it & piece it together. Then we would have a community site for the community.

Before theirs the comment "Then everyone would expect a higher rank" well not really, its in the whole speach & documentation "Content made for otf is the property of otf" so that would solve that issue, and promotions are earned not just handed out freely so then people would have an opportunity to earn them rather than complain they havent had one when they havent done any work.

Just my two cents (what is this now, a dollar? )

kayana
# Posted: 7 Jan 2008 06:47

As ST SC, my response is pretty much along the line of Amanda's. That's my EC response pretty much. Go ahead and discuss, both Lee and myself always welcome input/questions but please stop pointing fingers at us as I think we've both responded to such forums on many many occasions both promptly and as best as possible. And many thanks Hal for your response.

kaela_donos
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 00:56

Last time i looked at this all i saw was that there would be a new server and other changes would be talked about after that... so i apologize for being a little behind.

This is what I would really like to SEE

I would like to see a “HELP WANTED” area, because the updates board is for.. Well updates and once your add is down at the bottom no one sees it. If we had a help wanted area then people could cheek to see what group needs what!

I would also like to see a list of duties and privileges are for each job. Something like

Simm Team Leader
Main duties:
Help others write simms
set up things for simms to be hosted in the chat rooms.
Train New people
Keep assitents up dated

Privileges:
Access to chat board savers
Special ranks for hosting simms
Ability to change simming home page

And then in like, maybe the manger have it so other things that need to be kept privet are there

Password to simm site:
Special Rank pass words

this will make it so when some one new takes over, there isn’t a.. oh no! What the heck is my pass word? What is my pass code? What am I sposta be doing!

kaela_donos
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 00:58

I have this feeling i am posting my comments backwords, my what the plan in post should be hear, and these posts should be there!

jamesgilfoyle
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 11:06

So a year on... has anything talked about in this thread actually been done? I don't really see any evidence of it...

lzrman
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 13:45

nope

jamesgilfoyle
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 14:37

*sigh*
It's sad really to see such a once thriving community slowly shrivel and die while nobody at the top seems to be doing much to turn things around...

mezoti
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 15:41

Funny enough, I think the people at the top have done a hell of a lot. Do you know how many times Iain is with me (his fiancee! who he doesn't see very often!) and I wake up to him not next to me, no, but instead typing away frantically on my computer because the server didn't restart correctly, or web email is down, or we've ran out of space on our partition? Do you know how many times he's canceled plans with me because something died. Infact, the first time Iain and I were ever together, he wasn't able to say goodbye to Ray and I properly because something broke.

If you have a problem with things not being done .. why don't you do something? I mean, look at Keith. He's gotten stuff done because he's taken the initiative to do it.

polson
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 18:00

I've spent about ten hours in the last three days alone on OTF work.

majin_fett
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 18:02 · Edited by: majin_fett

Ask not what OTF can do for you. Ask what you can do for OTF.

master_chief
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 18:33

Iain/Daecrist: I'm wondering if we can update the executive blog so we can see some transperency in the process. I have no doubt that you're working hard but if you could let us know what is on the short list and then we can offer help by lifting up our sleeves and if you need help with anything, please let me know! In my view, manageable goals followed through with go a long way towards diffusing the mentality that people like jamesgilfoy may come across with.

Mezoti: Some of us are asking for a clear vision and purpose. Personally, I am glad to do any work that needs to be done and if you have things you need done, please let me know. No one doubts the work that Iain does and I don't know james but I think he may not have a perspective which is not understanding the administrative, or technical, side of the site which is a heck of a lot of work.

Majin, Polson, and Hobbie, and Keith(and others) are stepping up to obviously change things and are helping to bridge the gap. I think that those were wise choices. It now is a matter of getting people motivated and actually proactive in helping change and implement new things. We're a strong group of members and there are benefits to using our resources in wiser, and more effective, ways.

Rome wasn't built overnight and while as a community we must be patient and understanding that things take time, having small manageable goals that the community can reach, that we know of, would soothe the morale and feedback. Anyway, thanks for reading.

polson
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 18:48

One thing that people can do that I've been asking publicly for for MONTHS:

Chattops.

If you want to help, you can submit chattops for various sci fi/fantasty themes and shows.

Send your submissions to teh Man Ray. hobbie at outpost10f.com

I'll be honest, I'm frustrated. People keep saying, "What can I do?" and I keep saying "we need this!" and then those same people do not help, then four months later say, "so, what have you done about this?" and I'm like "I ASKED YOU FOR HELP!" except I don't say that, because that's not very diplomatic, but I'm thinking it.

So here it is in plain english what can be done by the populace to help OTF:

Chattops submitted.

Pipe dream - Login Skins submitted to match the chattops.

Alternative options for registration "grabbers". Hell, you can even come up with a new Homepage design if you'd like, we'll look at it!

Team Leaders - that's right, if you have an idea for a team or want to
assume command of a dead team, all you have to do is draw up a proposal with a detailed outline of what you would like to accomplish in that team (and how you would go about it) and then send that to myself and Hobbie. If it looks good, things can happen. Example: Lee. He did that on his own initiative and it paid off, for all of OTF.

master_chief
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 19:34

*gets right on it *

Thanks, Polson!

polson
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 19:36

You are so very welcome.

jamesgilfoyle
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 22:20

Just read my post and it came across in completely the wrong way to what i meant it. Should have perhaps explained what i meant; was just in a frustrated mood at the time of posting and was about to go rush to get ready to work.

I do very well understand both the technical and the administrative sides to a site such at OFT - alls i meant was that to a user, such as myself, looking at the site it appears that hardly anything us up to date and hardly anything seems be getting done to bring about changes.

A key part of initiating change is communication. I know it can be challenging; especially if your words seems to keep falling upon deaf ears - but i honestly did look around the site for ways in which i myself might be able to help and failed to find any way on the out of date pages around the site...

While i understand that i didn't portray this correctly because i didn't really have time to:
I certainly don't doubt that you guys are working away at the top behind the scenes; i know from experience that 80-95% of the work that you do goes unseen by the everyday user; whether it be discussions across the Management Mailing list, decisions being made, plans being drawn up, back end stuff being worked on, pages being scripted and the many many many other things which go on behind the scenes of which there is far too many to list...

However; I just feel that IF this work is getting done -
1) it seems it has been stretched across an awfully long time span,
2) It doesn't seem to be effectively communicated to the user base and,
3) There seems to be no changes happening on the front end of the site which is where the average users experience is concentrated.

Now; I've been here since 2006 and haven't been an active user due to responsibilities elsewhere and demands of real life but i do intend to become much more active shortly (as expressed in an email to Polson when i offered to help out in anyway that i can) and i will be happily keep an eye out for anything that i can help with.

Will be drawing up a proposal shortly too for you guys to look at since now i know who to contact and how to go about doing it. Thanks for the replies!

Quoting: master_chief
Rome wasn't built overnight and while as a community we must be patient and understanding that things take time, having small manageable goals that the community can reach, that we know of, would soothe the morale and feedback.

I don't think i could agree more with that statement!

jamesgilfoyle
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 22:20

Quoting: polson
Chattops submitted.

Pipe dream - Login Skins submitted to match the chattops.

Any particular genres or subjects you guys are looking for?

lzrman
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 00:00

Quoting: lzrman
Any particular genres or subjects you guys are looking for?

Stargate

polson
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 00:06

Any sci fi or fantasy genre you desire to see at OTF.

Stargate will get you brownie points.

Some suggestions to start off with...

Dr. Who
Battlestar Galactica
Harry Potter

I'm sure more spring to mind?

majin_fett
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 02:03

Marvel Comics!
Indiana Jones!

jamesgilfoyle
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 07:31

Fab, will get to work tonight

fat_man
# Posted: 28 Apr 2009 11:34

I've got nothing constructive to say, wanted to say good luck to y'all.

Like David I'm a bit of a naysayer when it comes to this stuff. When I had time and actually had the desire to help out with the site we weren't utilised and to be fair to say a lot of us were treated like crap. So thats my explanation why i'm not replying to that e-mail asking me to help out...

But that aside from the naysayers camp we wish you all the luck in the world =)

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.022
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0