· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF v3 Ideas / Teams
polson
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 13:17

Okay so this is just to clarify something for me under this new non-departmental teams and projects. Say I have a project I want to see happen at OTF, say a Stargate affiliation (that's the only project I could think of, it's just an example, feel free not to take issue with the pretend project).

Instead of sending a hundred emails or mentioning it in every forum, what I understand about this new system is I could do something about it myself, am I right? That would look like me drafting up the project, having found some key technical people who would be willing to help me, and sending it to the appropriate parties and requesting permission and recuriting my said people into a temporary "Make a Stargate Affiliation" team and then going for it?

Or have I missed the boat yet again?

lzrman
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 13:42

I had a similar understanding to the update Hal posted as well. If someone wants to make something they could just do it, minus the red tape.

Self Growth community.

christena
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 16:38

That sounds like alot of confusion is going to happen in the future...

daecrist
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 16:38

If you have a project and a team you'd like to create then you draft up a proposal and send it to me. For now I'm going to act as a de facto Projects Director to get teams set up.

Of course that also means that teams will be messily and brutally devoured and recycled into the Outpost if they don't show results. So it's easier to create teams, but it's a sink or swim environment as well.

daecrist
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 16:39

Quoting: christena
That sounds like alot of confusion is going to happen in the future...

It might not be the ideal solution, but it's better than having projects languish in development hell for years on end unless a sector commander takes an interest in it.

majin_fett
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 16:50

All of this just proves that Hal is trying to become the ultimate OTF dictator!

But do I have a problem with that? [s]Yes![/s] Nope!

daecrist
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 18:49

Quoting: majin_fett
All of this just proves that Hal is trying to become the ultimate OTF dictator!

Hey, I make the trains run on time for the first time in years.

polson
# Posted: 7 Feb 2008 19:36

Hal, actually I think it will work. If there are strict guidelines for the project proposals, including time frames, people will be held accountable to their ideas. If they don't meet their end of things, projects will be scrapped unless someone else is willing to pick up the reigns.

kaela_donos
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 01:08 · Edited by: kaela_donos

I think we would need a project manager that actually had power though. The last ones were week and they were not even part of the EC.

I think that if we had a project manger team that went and reviewed each project and talked with who was purposing it they could then take the project to whom ever else needs to approve and pass it on to a post project manger team that helps develop it instead of people just standing on there own going... please take my project.

Becuase it's hard to put things together on your one, and maybe otfer are here because they can't do that in real life.. say 90% of them.. so if we had a team to help them, things could go much smoother.

(i love the preview button)

daecrist
# Posted: 8 Feb 2008 09:08

Quoting: kaela_donos
The last ones were week and they were not even part of the EC.

That's why I'm just doing it myself until we get things settled down.

master_chief
# Posted: 28 Apr 2008 23:51

The project team would be helpful... similiar to that used by a Primary Director of Research.. and in a PhD program, the dissertation advisors would act somewhat as project/team developers... and akin to those in private sectors as project managers.

david1
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 14:48

Quoting: polson
If there are strict guidelines for the project proposals, including time frames, people will be held accountable to their ideas. If they don't meet their end of things, projects will be scrapped unless someone else is willing to pick up the reigns.

Define "time frames", because its hard to predict how long a project will take, all you can do is review it often to ensure there is consistant progress.

People have their own lives, and things happen often at the last minute which disrupt the flow of work.

Remember: OTF is a Hobby NOT a Job.

david1
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 14:53

Quoting: daecrist
If you have a project and a team you'd like to create then you draft up a proposal and send it to me. For now I'm going to act as a de facto Projects Director to get teams set up.

Of course that also means that teams will be messily and brutally devoured and recycled into the Outpost if they don't show results. So it's easier to create teams, but it's a sink or swim environment as well.

What if someone wants to work on a project on their own? without the need for a team?

Usually if someone has an idea for a project, its means they're passionate about it and will usually deliver?

Would this mean they would have to stick to a strict timeline to develope a project? or would they be left to work on a project as long as they keep you updated on a timely manner?

kayana
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 14:57

Kudos to Hal etc for getting the blog up and running !

master_chief
# Posted: 29 Apr 2008 16:15

Ya, I checked it out and it's really nice!@ kAYANA

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.024
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0