· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF v3 Ideas / New User? Get Started - Stripe on Right Corner of Homepage
. 1 . 2 . >>
lzrman
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 04:48

The idea is to have this image graphic on our main home page in the top right corner so if you are a new member and notice this, they would click it and be directed to a short introduction of what the site is (SHORT) what we offer (CHAT/FORUMS) and other relevant information.

Included in this Get Started is the "Modified Reduced Registration Form" Very short and sweet to get them started in the most proficient means possible.

You will need to click to see the full version:

Do not Jack my thread with Non-Relevant Conversation, I'll have it deleted by respective moderators, I'm serious in having this implemented to have our membership numbers increase exponentially.

Lzrman, CL5

sectre
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 04:53

I like it, "Get Started!" is so much more inviting than just "Register"

lzrman
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 04:54

Quoting: sectre
so much more inviting than just "Register"

I Agree! its quite Inviting ! More people would look at it and go oh get started instead of "Get Registering"

jd
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 05:01

Do we really need to be ripping off http://www.mininova.org/, a software piracy site?

lzrman
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 05:09

Sure! It's just a thought to gain some members, we can also make it a circle or a square =O so its not an exact replica. Sites borrow ideas all over, this isn't something new.

master_chief
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 11:17

I really feel that the premise is int he right place and the code could be borrowed or if something was found to be freeware then we could use it. I think that this is a great idea Lzr and props to you for coming up with it. We need refreshment, user-focused changes that bring in the membership and enhance the experience. Anyway, off to a 6-pager for me.

Btw, thanks to everyone who's pushing and contributing their ideas and thoughts about how things should be enhanced. It's pretty awesome to see things jumping again. We will become the most fun, and visited, site on the net!

-Brandon

shakeycat
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 16:34

Quoting: lzrman
Do not Jack my thread with Non-Relevant Conversation, I'll have it deleted by respective moderators, I'm serious in having this implemented to have our membership numbers increase exponentially.

wtf

richard_smith
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 17:13

Sounds like a good idea to me. It would give a new user a place to start.

skevington
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 17:52

Yeah, a nice idea. But lets not directly steal things from other websites. A similar idea might work though.

And perhaps a little less of the attitude and threats of deletion. It isn't called for.

Regards,
Dmitri

babel
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 18:02

I don't like the idea of this. For sure have visible links for registration etc. But the homepage itself informs the visitor what we do quite nicely. The 'new user get started' seems to me too in your face. It's not necessary. We can incorporate better help for new members in the registration process, if we need to.

I also have to add my voice to those who have commented on the original post in this thread. Lzr, you are not going to endear yourself, let along gain support for your ideas, by posting such a, frankly, snotty and OTT 'warning'. A simple 'please could we stick to the topic? Thanks!' would have done so much better than your heavy handed words.

polson
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 19:25

Quoting: skevington
And perhaps a little less of the attitude and threats of deletion. It isn't called for.

Quoting: shakeycat

wtf

Quoting: babel
I also have to add my voice to those who have commented on the original post in this thread. Lzr, you are not going to endear yourself, let along gain support for your ideas, by posting such a, frankly, snotty and OTT 'warning'. A simple 'please could we stick to the topic? Thanks!' would have done so much better than your heavy handed words.

As THE POWER THAT BE...this thread will not be deleted if it is derailed. Only posts that violate the PD are deleted, and threads are only closed when it becomes apparent that it is becoming detrimental to the populace.

babel
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 19:30

In that case

I like chocolate hobnobs, they're my favourite biscuits. They're the commando of the biscuit world - you can dunk them in your tea and they won't disintegrate. Marvellous. Anyone else any biscuit-related views? And please - if you do NOT vary from my topic you will be punished severely, possibly even fatally with Pol's eyelid stapler. So there.

polson
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 19:32

As for the concept of making registration easier and more visible to new users - if someone comes up with an original, OTF themed, catchy but not obtrusive "button" for the registration it will of course be considered.

polson
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 19:32 · Edited by: polson

Jeremy - this thread is not about bisciuts. It's about scones. Stay on topic please.

babel
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 19:34

I thought we were talking about how I should be the next Admurll!

polson
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 19:39

Also - it is good that various members are coming up with ideas right now, that's awesome, kudos especially to Keith and Lee for their intitiative and creativity.

That's the difference between people who say, "You should do this" and people who say, "Hey, I can do this."

If you have an idea and you're capable of implimenting it, then get moving folks - you don't need our permission to design a button (or something else) and then say "what do you think of this?" We're not going to turn you away because we didn't think of it. Frankly, I don't have time or the skills to do everything folks come to me with - if you can design something you think we should have then do it! Bring it to me and Hobbie, we're open! If you've got something, even if it's only halfway because you don't have the all the skills, that can still inspire and spark creative change! I've said it a thousand times before - if you see a problem, bring a solution to the table.

stevennorton
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 21:10

Quoting: jd
Do we really need to be ripping off http://www.mininova.org/, a software piracy site?

pwnd
Quoting: shakeycat

wtf

again
I don't like the idea of this. For sure have visible links for registration etc. But the homepage itself informs the visitor what we do quite nicely. The 'new user get started' seems to me too in your face. It's not necessary. We can incorporate better help for new members in the registration process, if we need to.

How have the old tried and true attention grabbers been going for this old boat? Maybe a change is in order, get in peoples short attention-spanned faces.

Quoting: polson
As for the concept of making registration easier and more visible to new users - if someone comes up with an original, OTF themed, catchy but not obtrusive "button" for the registration it will of course be considered.

Have I even mentioned I do have this little undying speck of love for Pols... even if she is from Alberta...

And when did OTF get so... hostile and people so defensive. Like... that was my funnest type of... matierial to... play in oh so many years ago... what have I been missing out on.
Me and my reborn bad attitude shall get you new members with big buttons and flashy... flash animations... and me being overtly and purposefully mean to everyone... oh heck(ll) I just can't pull that off any more. Lrz... takes a chillz pillz before you stroke and die... or wait...

polson
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 21:18

Quoting: stevennorton
Have I even mentioned I do have this little undying speck of love for Pols... even if she is from Alberta...

It goes without saying.

babel
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 21:23

You lost me on your comment on my bit, Steven. I'm getting old and slow!

stevennorton
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 22:35

You lost me on your comment on my bit, Steven. I'm getting old and slow!

Think fast Jerm!

babel
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 22:46

Jerm?

ooh, I could be a really nasty one developned in some laboratory somewhere!

polson
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 23:07

I confess. Jeremy is my Frankenstien.

stevennorton
# Posted: 22 Apr 2009 23:13

I'll leave that one alone, given Jeremy's age and diminished mental state =) *wave banner for new people to join* We have cookies!

skevington
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 01:17

I could so go for a nice cup of tea and a chocolate hobnob right now!

lzrman
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 06:34 · Edited by: lzrman

Perhaps, I took that the wrong way that last few bits............... maybe we should put a square, let alone a copy of the line.

Quoting: jd

And perhaps if I did not mention that to you in the chatroom, it wouldn't be a problem?

shakeycat
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 06:53

I'm in support of putting cookies and milk out on the front page, in case Santa comes by.

jamesgilfoyle
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 10:27 · Edited by: jamesgilfoyle

I think this is a great idea.

I don't see what is so wrong in being in your face and grabbing your prospective new users attention and turning them into actual registrations and in turn hopefully active users. Seems much better than having a user be confused and overwhelmed by the home page and the MANY links that it has on it...

This place NEEDS changes and they don't seem to be happening in my opinion. I've been watching this site for months now just out of interest... forgive me if i am wrong but it's not getting anymore user friendly or welcoming at all, and the only change i have seen is the Chat Consolidation.

Perhaps its time to actually engage with ideas like this; who cares if some other site is doing the same thing? The fact of the matter is it works and would be an improvement for the site which would hopefully mean more visitors are turning into registered users.

daecrist
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 16:05 · Edited by: daecrist

Most of this was TL : DR, but in response to the original post:

A simplified registration is on the to-do list. We just have to wait until Iain and Ohm get through the other things on the technical checklist at the moment.

polson
# Posted: 23 Apr 2009 18:05

Again - that doesn't mean you can't come up with a design. So if you like the button idea, then design one. Email it to me or Hobbie.

lzrman
# Posted: 24 Apr 2009 00:01 · Edited by: lzrman

I have emailed it to Iain and Told Hobbie about it.

I did something for OTF, so lets see change

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.037
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0