· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF v3 Ideas / Suggestion... Member Mailbox
quincyw
# Posted: 5 Aug 2009 12:43

I have a suggestion... Member Mailboxes. I'm not talking about a full Hotmail/GMail type service.

Hear me out for a minute.

What if we could send messages to each other, as part of the Outpost? There are times people don't want to hand out email addresses, or instant messaging for various reasons such as privacy. What if we could use our accounts to drop messages to each other?

We all need to register and have an account and dossier. But what if say, for Department work, we could send reports, or drop things to each other via these mailboxes? "Official" things, like notices between ISA members, as a good example, or team memos, things like that.

I haven't quite got a grasp on this and I'm sure someone will jump in and say it's a bad idea. It may be a good idea, I don't know.

Anyone want to take a for, or negative argument?

deboe
# Posted: 5 Aug 2009 14:45

lots of forums use Private Messaging

master_chief
# Posted: 5 Aug 2009 17:45

Sounds like a good idea.

lzrman
# Posted: 6 Aug 2009 04:19

I support this idea, I think its an awesome Idea personally and even the random message would be good way to get a hold of people.

Are we talking about focus on the forums mainly? or the Outpost as a Whole?
Have it part of the Manage Profile Area? Where you could use the drop down menu find say

Private Messages > and have an area to read them?
Would we enforce a character limit? Allow HTML? or just Plain Text.

Would there be email notification built in when users get dropped a PM? Would we limit Newly registered members from sending messages? until promoted to CL3 this would prevent spamming of users.

Private Messages>
Inbox
- Option to Respond or Forward
Compose
- To/CC/BCC Field
- To Button would have a link to the Member Roster to select a user, and it would send via the user ID#
Deleted (Stays for 30 Days from Deletion Date)

Anyone else have any thoughts? I'm all thoughted out.

lzrman
# Posted: 6 Aug 2009 06:10

We could also link in the friends system, and if we have a friend we can easily select them to send messages quicker? Or setup a favorites.

master_chief
# Posted: 6 Aug 2009 11:26

I agree Lzr, I think it should be on the whole outpost level. It would be very helpful.

stevennorton
# Posted: 6 Aug 2009 18:01

/signed for the message board pm's since some of us have never exchanged email addresses... and if we can find someone to code in a link to the friends system all the more better.

shakeycat
# Posted: 7 Aug 2009 05:53

It's too much fuss. If you can't chat in the chat, on the forums, or by email/msn/aim/icq/yahoo/skype/facebook/etc. outside of otf, then why bother?

And for all the work it takes to put together something like this, it's really, really not worth it, especially when there are a dozen other options for contacting a person.

jd
# Posted: 8 Aug 2009 00:20

Seconded. I mean, really, do you guys need another way to harass one another?

christena
# Posted: 8 Aug 2009 03:04

I third it!

lzrman
# Posted: 9 Aug 2009 00:28

I retract my support and Fourth it!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.020
Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0