· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF v3 Ideas / Celebrating Patron Milestones
<< . 1 . 2 .
ajcardall
# Posted: 27 Jan 2010 21:59

Probably re-buff the offer, but you could try getting onto the STO folks, playing up the whole "largest ST chat community" etc....

david1
# Posted: 27 Jan 2010 22:10

well why not do it

ajcardall
# Posted: 27 Jan 2010 22:11

Aye. Worst they can say is "Bugger off", and we're in no worse off position than now

david1
# Posted: 27 Jan 2010 22:14

aye definatly

darth_balco
# Posted: 27 Jan 2010 23:05

Quoting: ajcardall
All it takes is people to stop this "OTF is boring" or "OTF is dead" negativity, and start to look positive.

I'm just offering the blunt, harsh truth of the matter. Now, if we all come to that realization, then we need to ask ourselves do we want to pull it out of its brain-dead state or pull the plug?

I'm looking at this from a rather pessimistic point of view because every time discussion or action is brought up to turn OTF around, to make it fun again, it falls right on its ass. Either that or people keep bringing the same points over and over again. Or when people promises that change is coming and the change never comes, leaving upset people wanting to know what's going on, they get smited by the wrath of L. Ron Hubbard.

Look, i'm all for bring the fun back in OTF, that's why I keep dragging myself here, for the mere hope that OTF could just possibly be fun again. And if there's some sort of genuine gameplan being cooked up, count me in.

ajcardall
# Posted: 27 Jan 2010 23:10

Pat,

Perhaps boss, but now I'm back...

lzrman
# Posted: 28 Jan 2010 02:17 · Edited by: lzrman

Quoting: ajcardall
Perhaps OTF has to be more multi-faceted? I'd wager that people searching for Star Wars/Trek on Google these days are looking for information, details... not chat rooms. If OTF had (and it would be a lot of work, granted) a ST/SW bible, or something, then who knows? The people looking for information may drop by in chats?

Same with the forums - they could be exposed a lot more which could attract newer members? If people aren't looking for chats because they're too slow and don't want to sit waiting, perhaps forums could attract new people? With forums you can come back and check etc etc, and not have to sit in chat waiting for a reply which may never be forthcoming. Make sense? And then if people got engrossed in the forums, they may then utilise the chat to, well, chat to the people they have met here on the forums. Basically if these were expanded and broaded, as well as marketed, perhaps it would drag more people in?

Perhaps we could expand the structure of the forum and offer Genre Sections

Startrek
> TNG/TOS/VOY/ENT
> Movies
> character breakdown discussion on characters

Starwars
>Movies

.... You kind of have expandability.

Quoting: david1
Quoting: darth_balco
And might I add just being in OTF these days is like visiting a nursing home. You just want to visit your loved ones for a brief, then leave before aura of death gets under your skin.

Indeed a quote of the yr (QOTY)!

well there is a star trek online games comming soon, why doesnt otf open itself up to it,

Perfect Idea to bring in the membership.
thats a bandwagon you can jump on.

A BIG Band wagon!! Yea HA!

Quoting: taurik

Does anyone know how to make that happen? If yes, then I say let's do it.

All it would take is a email to Iain ,but would he let us do it.

Quoting: darth_balco
And if there's some sort of genuine game plan being cooked up, count me in.

There should be from the rumours going around.

taurik
# Posted: 28 Jan 2010 05:35

Tool's song called "Aenema" says exactly what I think about L. Ron Hubbard.

deboe
# Posted: 28 Jan 2010 15:24

I see the STO thing not working, because :
1) whether you like it or not, WoW is the jesus game.
2)people will probably use the forums on the STO site, just like how WoW players use the WoW site forum.

ajcardall
# Posted: 28 Jan 2010 18:36

May be right Deboe, but worth a pop anyway surely?

lzrman
# Posted: 28 Jan 2010 20:53

Doesn't hurt us to try, if it fails we figure out how to do it differently.

darth_balco
# Posted: 28 Jan 2010 23:04 · Edited by: darth_balco

Deboe is a man of wise words.

ajcardall
# Posted: 28 Jan 2010 23:20

Well I still say we try personally

If they say no, are we in any worse position? Nope...

demonvamp
# Posted: 29 Jan 2010 01:32

I thought the movie was the bandwagon? If that can't do it, how can a game (one I've never heard of, btw, and that's coming from a gamer).

I'm agreeing with DeBoe on this. Most gamers use official sites because that's where the news and help will be.

darth_balco
# Posted: 29 Jan 2010 05:39

Quoting: demonvamp
I thought the movie was the bandwagon? If that can't do it, how can a game (one I've never heard of, btw, and that's coming from a gamer).

Funny you mentioned the movie, because a lot of people we're acting like it was going to be OTF's saving grace.

But seriously, I'm with DeBoe on this as well. Yes, if it fails, we would be not in any worse position. However, the time, energy, and resources spent into such a risky venture would not be worth it instead of putting it towards how to effectively changing OTF to a point where we can get old members to come back and get a creek flow of new members.

ajcardall
# Posted: 29 Jan 2010 11:57

Yeah, fair point actually, Pat

deboe
# Posted: 29 Jan 2010 15:00

a new board for STO stuff wouldn't take much effort, though. If outside people don't see it at least the people who go here and play the game will.

david1
# Posted: 30 Jan 2010 00:03

well you could easily have a sto forum place for otfers who are going to be playing it, and there will be many, least this gives them a place to meet up - share rants, and meet up ingame

darth_balco
# Posted: 30 Jan 2010 01:26

Okay, how do you know that lots of OTFers will be playing STO and would be willing to go to a message board?

Did you ask the community yay or nay on playing STO or you just assuming because it's a ST game, it will have a majority of OTFers popping out of the bushes to play the game. Cause I remember people assuming that ST 11 would bring all the OTFers out of the woodwork, but that never happened, did it?

All I'm saying is to do some research and look at both sides instead of just thinking it will be an instant success.

ajcardall
# Posted: 31 Jan 2010 19:02

I don't think anyone is claiming it will be an instant success, but just another avenue we could look into?

majin_fett
# Posted: 31 Jan 2010 20:27

I think starting a thread for STO and letting people at least know that it's there is a good way to do research into seeing who at OTF is playing the game.

My two cents, which, due to inflation, isn't worth much these days.

daecrist
# Posted: 1 Feb 2010 02:43 · Edited by: daecrist

People have been predicting the impending death of OTF for quite some time now.

And it's true that the place isn't as popular as it once was. But the Internet passed HTML chat rooms by almost a decade ago. I think the fact that we're still here when every other site like this that started around the same time is long dead is a testament to how much people do still care about it on some level.

Old people and new still come to OTF, even if not in the numbers that they once did. But we still have our community, and the site will still be here for at least another two years even if we suddenly stop getting any money whatsoever.

Personally I agree with Keith. If you hate a place to the point that you can only come up with gloom and doom then it might be time to ask yourself why you're still coming around if it's causing you so much pain. Not saying that we don't want you or that you're not welcome, but there are probably greener pastures out there somewhere to explore.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.033
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0