· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF v3 Ideas / Departmental Changes
ajcardall
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 14:59

Hello all,

Those of you who have read or noticed the Departmental Updates board as of late will have noticed that Rear Admiral Hobbie and myself have begun work on reviving the Entertainment Department with a view to creating a self-sustaining department that offers a lot more more members to get involved with than is currently available. As it stands we have re-hashed the command structure and made some leadership changes in an effort to bring fresh ideas, leadership and direction to each of the teams that we have at the moment: Trivia, Gaming and Simming. Our long-term goal is to also take on board projects and teams from other former departments and revive those under the Entertainment sphere, before potentially releasing them to their "proper" department, if we feel we're able to staff several departments at the same time.

Before we embarked on this venture, there was very little for the membership to get involved with outside of dropping into the chat-rooms and, well, chatting. We appreciate that there are some people at the Outpost who are happy with that and don't wish to get involved behind the scenes - that's fine. However there are also those who DO want to be able to chip in outside of just chatting and would like to progress and climb within the community. Our goal is to enable people to do just that.

As mentioned, at the moment we only have the three teams typically associated with Entertainment: Trivia, Gaming and Simming. We are mindful that everyone has different tastes and those three teams may not cater to everyone that we have active at the moment. This is why I'd like to throw this topic to the wider community for discussion - I'd love to know what you would like to see offered that isn't at present. Or perhaps you may have ideas for the three current teams that could add extra scope and opportunities that you feel they're missing out on, or not offering. If there is anything at all you'd like to see offered, then please post a reply to this thread for discussion and so we can thrash our ideas into something viable. As I said, the ideas you may have don't necessarily have to conform to what we offer at the moment - for example, you might like to see a return of Poetry or Artists' competitions, despite the fact they have never been typically associated with Entertainment.

If you have any comments, suggestions or ideas, then please reply. We want to offer exactly what the community is craving, and unless you tell us what you'd like to see, we can't do that.

Many thanks,
Commodore AJ
Entertainment Director.

quincyw
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 22:50

Not really any feedback, but mostly comment at this stage.

Every time I see an entry for recruitment, there are numerous criteria, such as the ability to code. While that may be true of the more tech-oriented departments, it does have a tendency to scare people away.

So therefore, those who want to say, sim (and I know for a fact that there is still a small number of us in that category), just have those people do the creative side. That would also extend to say, Trivia, Gaming etc.

Then, have a separate "Department" (term used loosely) of coders, site maintainers and the behind the scenes stuff. And I shall say this with a smile. Say, the old Engineering department?

tycho
# Posted: 26 Jan 2011 23:20

Quincy, I miss you in the chat
We have Engineering and InDev for the tech stuff.
Right now we're really looking for people that think can contribute to our teams, no matter if they can code or not, as long as they have the spirit and good ideas. And in case of my Gaming Team.. playing games would be welcome

daecrist
# Posted: 27 Jan 2011 05:10

Quoting: quincyw
Every time I see an entry for recruitment, there are numerous criteria, such as the ability to code. While that may be true of the more tech-oriented departments, it does have a tendency to scare people away.

So therefore, those who want to say, sim (and I know for a fact that there is still a small number of us in that category), just have those people do the creative side. That would also extend to say, Trivia, Gaming etc.

Then, have a separate "Department" (term used loosely) of coders, site maintainers and the behind the scenes stuff. And I shall say this with a smile. Say, the old Engineering department?

Most of the positions that are being advertised by AJ and Hobbie have been non-coding "creative" jobs. Coders that we do want working for us are brought in by invitation only these days rather than sending calls out unless it's simple web design stuff. And the coding department that works on site infrastructure is still InDev. Coding for the site was never really Engineering's purview.

ajcardall
# Posted: 27 Jan 2011 09:38

Quincy,

I hope Tycho and HAL set the record straight on this one, but you do reason a good point. We're not just after people who can throw together a website and make it shiny and pretty - we'd prefer the people who WANT to work, regardless of skill set and abilities!

quincyw
# Posted: 27 Jan 2011 22:03

Okay. For a specific role now.

We need to reintroduce that old Welcoming Department. Or what was it, Welcoming Committee. But we'll change it a little with some spin. My thinking is Court Jesters.

People who will welcome, who will make people feel nice and stay, but at the same time, will start mentoring and stuff.

Kind of Welcoming Committee, but also mixed in with all three "traditional" Entertainment functions to get people to like us better.

quark
# Posted: 28 Jan 2011 18:12

Can I lead the Reichswehr team, in which we shout at other members of the department in German when they do not work?

eagle
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 19:40

You could just come into the chat and abuse people in German. Seems more efficient.

ice
# Posted: 18 Sep 2012 08:13

omg eagle negro'd.... omg eagle... w00t eagle *waves*

shakeycat
# Posted: 18 Sep 2012 22:31

I'm sure you mean "necro" and not "negro", Ice.

ice
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 00:41

oh evil type *slaps it* my bad :S

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.024
Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0