· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / OTF v3 Ideas / What do YOU want to see at OTF?
. 1 . 2 . >>
ajcardall
# Posted: 30 Apr 2011 10:01

Hello everyone,

I'm curious as to what everyone would like to see at the Outpost: is there something we should be looking at doing, any teams we are missing, or activities overlooked? Or maybe we used to do something that you enjoyed that you would like to see happen once again.

Share your thoughts: what would you like to see from OTF, and what would you like to see us offer?

skevington
# Posted: 2 May 2011 15:38

A free bar and hot ladiez.

jd
# Posted: 2 May 2011 15:40

Free ladiez and a hot bar.

skevington
# Posted: 2 May 2011 15:40

Either works for me.

stevennorton
# Posted: 2 May 2011 20:30

Is that a commentary on how it's currently a very sober sausagefest?

skevington
# Posted: 2 May 2011 23:01

Yes.

quincyw
# Posted: 3 May 2011 08:25

Although sci fi has now generally crept into both gender domains, this kind of attitude really doesn't help things now, does it?

deboe
# Posted: 3 May 2011 15:21 · Edited by: deboe

I think these fellows just want to promote gender neutrallity in this chat, so it doesn't so much of a 'Boys' Club'.

david1
# Posted: 3 May 2011 18:49 · Edited by: david1

De-genders the conversation....

Hot Men and free Bars.

....Wait, it doesnt quite have the same ring to it

Yet another thread hijacked lol.

On a serious note, a "great otf'er" once posed this question, "What did you want to do before you got promoted? What do you still want to do but can't?" Which could be asked in tandem with the question you posed andrew, as the 2 do go hand in hand! (Which had no responses to it either lol)

In responce to your question,

Looking at replacing html, OR bring bbcode with limited functionality for lower ranks (i.e. those who dont have html).

Custom avatar - maybe lowering the requirement for it, people like to express themselves.

As for what id like to see otf offer, id like somthing big, NONE chat related, which would be a reason to frequent the website. Maybe a game, maybe news, maybe reviews, maybe social stuff. Somthing new and addictive would do

skevington
# Posted: 3 May 2011 20:20

With the changes to the rank system we are also amending access rights. In the future these things will be easier to achieve.

stevennorton
# Posted: 4 May 2011 08:27

Quoting: quincyw
Although sci fi has now generally crept into both gender domains, this kind of attitude really doesn't help things now, does it?

Quinc, gtfo, more chicks!

quincyw
# Posted: 4 May 2011 11:16

Quoting: stevennorton
Quinc, gtfo, more chicks!

I agree there should be more women, but can't we treat them with a bit more dignity and respect? *Facepalms*

By the way, no use of that nickname. It's reserved for one person only...

skevington
# Posted: 4 May 2011 16:39

I defer on this matter to Steve. Henceforth, he is now the Outpost10f Spokesperson on Equality.

stevennorton
# Posted: 9 May 2011 18:40

I thank you!

deboe
# Posted: 10 May 2011 00:48

i'd personally like to see the oekaki working again.

lzrman
# Posted: 10 May 2011 05:43

Quoting: deboe
i'd personally like to see the oekaki working again.

Myself Included. Simple fix.

sarek1
# Posted: 23 Jun 2011 17:44

So, are there gonna be more ladies or what?

david1
# Posted: 25 Jun 2011 18:10

the truth is.... otf is quite the female dominated place.... if you look at our leadership, theyre all puppets to their female counterparts!!!

shakeycat
# Posted: 28 Aug 2012 22:07

I think OTF needs to jump on this Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon. It is the biggest Fantasy series at the moment, has many years left in it as the TV series continues and new books are written. If we want to draw in new members and fresh blood, we need to add a Live series to our many dead ones.

I know building a new chat is a hell of a lot of work, but with the right direction, it may pay off.

david1
# Posted: 28 Aug 2012 23:31

Tbh otf has a history of missing bandwagons to generate new members, brought on by 2 factors, 1 thte failure to leave the main gernes,and secondly thte lack of a simple fast way of hitchhiking onto those bandwagons

shakeycat
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 01:19 · Edited by: shakeycat

Yeah, we more or less missed that LOTR one.

daecrist
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 01:49

We really need a way to be more responsive to fan communities with a more dynamic way of creating enclaves for specific genres quickly based on demand. We've been too focused on just being the "big three" for the last fifteen years. This is something I'd like to see addressed but we need to work on some backend stuff first to make it possible for more rapid responses.

ice
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 07:34

Not about to pretend I have any idea which way the OTF is coded nowadays as I know the scripts have evolved over the years so this response is barely purely of my own projects in the past decade or so.

Along time ago (8years'ish) me and strongy (pete) co-wrote a chat system. Added a new chat room was extremely simple, you fill out a form click submit an a new room goes on the list.

Now it may be possible to have a few such as a general config file, a string file (for changing various text messages), a var file (specific to genre colors) and then put a few flags in the db like /foldername/ would be in the database so

|id|foldername|filename.jpg|name|

That way each room is just a duplicate folder and a quick 5min config + images. Makes it alot quicker to adjust that copying over a huge directory and going through a laundry list of tweaks. You could even store a few files in a "hideout" location, make a script to create a directory for said new room, move the files over and then a page with all the images that need replace with dimensions where you can upload/overwrite.

The advantage being after coding said functionality into the system it requires no programming in the future, just someone to go through filling out some paperwork.

Like I said this isn't a reflection on what the current version works like as i'm not sure what method was used to "merge" the rooms, although I have a odd feeling it was just making sure it was posting/receiving all messages from the same table of a db as opposed to all rooms being identical scripts with strings deriving from the foldername.

(if needed I could probably explain this is a more understandable way this was kind of a simplistic explanation)

david1
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 09:02

indeed, i was working on somthing similar to that a while back, under a "communities" guise, but without the duplicate folder, running fromt he same backend code, with option to allow "Shared chatroom" or "private" chatroom, depending on if its a theme (requiring shared) or department/other (requiring private)

naberrie
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 11:38

I too vote for a GoT room, if possible. Moreso than the rumored Firefly room, as I have the idea that GoT is much more popular and able to draw more interest?
Also, how do we feel about Dr Who?

*dives for the throwing of rotten tomatoes*

ice
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 13:17

*throws rotten tomatoes*
I hate Dr.Who... but it does tend to pull a crowd so can't argue too much

generalmax
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 13:24

Yes, Doctor Who, FarScape, Space 1999 & the up & coming Space 2099, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5 etc etc

ice
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 13:47

BNT anyone?

deboe
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 13:55

ALL OF THE SHOWS

ice
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 15:40

ooh had an idea similar to workshops but instead offering tutoring.

So we range up courses say Beginners/Intermediate/Advanced HTML, CSS etc etc then people say if they want to come, we mail out course material via email then offer specific help/debugging as needed to help people learn.

That way members can gain a skill that they can not only use in OTF but also transfer outside.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.041
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0