· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Star Trek Discussions / STAR TREK DISCOVERY - thoughts? Impressions? Comments? Criticisms?
rabid_tribble
# Posted: 11 Nov 2017 12:26 · Edited by: rabid_tribble

Well it's been more than 12 years since the previous Star Trek TV series, Enterprise, ended its four-season run. More than 12 years without any new Star Trek on TV. But now Star Trek is back once again, with Discovery. I've watched all 8 episodes that have aired so far and I must say it's pretty good. The first two episodes form a sort of prologue, and it's only starting in the third ep. that we finally see the U.S.S Discovery and meet the new captain, Gabriel Lorca, and the rest of the crew. The only two main characters introduced in the first two episodes are Michael Burnham and Saru.

It took me a few episodes to warm up to the new show---and to be honest, I don't think I've fully embraced it yet. The characters are fine, and I'm starting to like them more as the series progresses and I get to know them better. The show contains social commentary like all the other ST series, so that's one good thing. This is something that the three most recent Star Trek films didn't contain much of, going more for action and spectacle than for moral allegories. And Star Trek at its heart has always been about parallels to our world and society we live in. It's always been about social issues. Star Trek Discovery so far seems to be on the right track. I started enjoying it more around the time they started bringing in more connections to the original series, such as having Harcourt Fenton Mudd in some episodes. Rumor has it that the Mirror Universe will be making its appearance soon too.

On the downside: I don't care much for the new Klingon makeup. They look almost like an entirely different species! And why are they all bald? Will that be explained eventually?? Also, I've noticed that the episode titles don't show on screen at the beginning of episodes as they've always done ever since the original series. But this latter criticism is just nitpicking.

I know the best place to discuss Star Trek: Discovery is obviously here at OTF. So I'd be really interested to know what all of you folks think of this new series. Like it? Hate it? Undecided? Any comments and critiques would be welcome.

P.S. I looked and didn't see any prior thread on Star Trek: Discovery. If there already is one, my apologies.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.013
Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0