· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Star Trek Discussions / Star Trek XI Discussion (BEWARE SPOILERS)
. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
skevington
# Posted: 7 May 2009 01:54

This topic is for everyone who wants to freely discuss the movie but doesn't want to spoil it for anyone else. Please keep the discussion to the forums so everyone has a chance to view the movie without it being ruined!

Spoilers will be tolerated in this forum topic ONLY. Enjoy. Have fun. Etc. If you don't want to see spoilers, stop reading now.

quincyw
# Posted: 7 May 2009 10:36

OMFG, WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!

skevington
# Posted: 7 May 2009 16:07

I take it you like it?

dierna
# Posted: 7 May 2009 20:53 · Edited by: dierna

Quoting: quincyw
OMFG, WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!

That seems to be the general consensus from people. A friend of mine who is NOT a fan loved it so much that he's gonna see it again!

babel
# Posted: 7 May 2009 21:56

It was rubbish.

skevington
# Posted: 7 May 2009 22:36

I just went to see it. I am very confused over the Vulcan thing. And the Spock/Uhura thing was just odd.

quincyw
# Posted: 7 May 2009 22:53

*Points to review thread*

quincyw
# Posted: 7 May 2009 23:04

Spock/Uhura was meant to be... You had the Spock early scenes, so I'm not going to rehash the lot.

I think it was Spock's father who said "You are always a child of two worlds and you must decide which path you choose" and if you remember, Spock asked why Sarek married Amanda.

In that sense, Spock is trying to be the essential Vulcan, while seeing if love and relations with a human are logical. Or in that sense, trying to see what his father sees in his mother and if Vulcans and humans can co-exist.

I felt the elevator scene with Spock and Uhura was done really well. Zachary Quinto was there being all Vulcan, but at the same time trying to be emotional without losing composure. Big big thumbs up.

majin_fett
# Posted: 8 May 2009 10:22

I, for one, enjoyed the hell out of this film. Maybe it's because I never really watched TOS (I grew up with TNG), but I thought all the acting was spot on. No, the characters were not exact replicas of the original versions, but I think that wouldn't have worked out. Chris Pine did his version of Kirk while staying true to the character. As my friend (and radio co-host) Toben puts it, "It was Chris Pine playing Kirk, not Chris Pine playing Shatner playing Kirk." Each actor took the essence of their characters and embraced it.

The actors I give the biggest props to are Zachary Quinto and Karl Urban. That's not saying the other actors were bad. These two just really stuck out as effing awesome to me. I won't go into Quinto too much because Quincy already said a lot about him, but I'll talk about Urban a bit. He really captured Bones, with being the cynical, grumpy doctor. 'Nuff said.

And the special effects? Wow. See, I loved the space battle at the beginning of First Contact. One of the greatest space battles I had ever seen. The space action in this one blew that battle out of the water. I mean, up there with the action/space battles in the Star Wars films, BSG, and Firefly/Serenity (those three have my favorite space battles in them, if you couldn't tell).

I know there are lots of people unhappy with this film, some before they have even seen it. Please. Give it a try. It doesn't spit on the face of Star Trek. It doesn't destroy everything that Star Trek stood for. It gives it a hug, breathes new life into it, reinvigorates it. It respects where it came from while treading new ground. Seriously, Star Trek was really starting to falter in the last few years. This new movie is the kick in the pants that it needs.

I also hope that this gets new people into the franchise. As someone who wasn't really into the original series, I found this film very friendly to new viewers. I understood what was going on. Toben, who has seen quite a bit more of the series, enjoyed it as well. So, I see this as being good for both new and old viewers alike, which is a fantastic thing.

It's now 2:20 of the am, so that's all I have to say for the time being. No, this film make me like Star Trek more than Star Wars, but hell, it made me like Star Trek more.

To hear more of mine and Toben's views on the film (plus other people) tune in to Spoiler Alert on KRUA 88.1 The Edge on Thursday, May 14, at 7 pm Alaska Time (8 pm Pacific Time, 11 pm Eastern Time, 4 am GMT). Good night, and good luck.

majin_fett
# Posted: 8 May 2009 10:26

Actually, one other thing. Time travel. Eff yeah. It totally worked in this. That, to me, allowed the film to totally be respectful of what came before, while allowing the franchise to go into a new direction. Sure, it's convenient for the writers, so that they can write off "continuity errors", so I'm all aboard.

And I need to get the soundtrack.

quincyw
# Posted: 8 May 2009 13:08

Yeah, I too bought Karl Urban. The way that he mutters Green Blooded Hobgoblin! was almost like he was channelling McCoy's essence.

My annoyance had to do with Chekov and Scotty. Not in a literal sense, but my annoyance was with the fact that Scotty didn't appear until the last half hour or so and Simon Pegg was generally limited to some comedy relief and his giggling.

I like Anton Yelchin as Chekov, I really do. But, in that early scene trying to beam Sulu and Kirk up from freefall and Chekov doing that pinpoint thing, that should've been Scotty. He should've been the Deputy Chief Engineer who steps up after Olsen gets red-shirted and done that scene.

Did anyone else notice on Chekov's screens, (the colour icons of) Sulu was yellow, Kirk was blue and Olsen was red? I did and it was the first true red-shirting.

My mild annoyance with the plot was, what happened to Remus? It was all Romulus-this or Romulus-that. Even just a small tip-of-the-hat "Romulus was destroyed with its twin Remus" would have been good.

In addition to which, this story presents a continuity error! Unless I missed something, the "Stardate" seems to literally correspond to year. From memory, Spock's log and Kirk's log (when stranded on Delta Vega) was "Stardate 2254" or so, which denotes year 2254.

If I remember correctly then, Nero (Spock himself?) notes Spock's mission was "Stardate 2377", which would contradict what happens in Nemesis.

Remember, the events of the supernova and Nero's Narada and Spock travelling into the past are the start of an alternate reality, not part of one itself.

Speculation, anyone?

polson
# Posted: 8 May 2009 16:46

Quoting: majin_fett
Actually, one other thing. Time travel. Eff yeah. It totally worked in this. That, to me, allowed the film to totally be respectful of what came before, while allowing the franchise to go into a new direction. Sure, it's convenient for the writers, so that they can write off "continuity errors", so I'm all aboard.

I completely agree. I turned to my mom after and said, "Those sneaky writers. With the Alternate Timeline theory they've effectively erased all of Trek and now tey can do whatever the heck they want without getting "continuity" nitpicking crap from fans." (except for Quincy of course ).

I absolutely LOVED it. LOVED it. Renewed Trek for me. It was just friggin' awesome. The producers have redeemed themselves!

Also - I thought Paul McGillion was supposed to have a bit role in it? Did I miss him?

majin_fett
# Posted: 8 May 2009 18:52

Quoting: polson
Also - I thought Paul McGillion was supposed to have a bit role in it? Did I miss him?

According to IMDB, he was a Barracks Officer. If that helps.

alane
# Posted: 8 May 2009 20:41

i love a great prequel...
and this had all the right stuff...
1-story
2-casting
3-cliff-hanger action
4-awesome special effects...
and hey....its Star Trek...... who in their right mind wound miss a chance to see Uhura in a ...opps... never mind...lol....it was on the movie trailer...
-ZOMBIE-

dierna
# Posted: 8 May 2009 21:30

Did anyone else notice on Chekov's screens, (the colour icons of) Sulu was yellow, Kirk was blue and Olsen was red? I did and it was the first true red-shirting.

It was also the colours of their jump suits.

I just have to say that despite Vulcan being destroyed (dang you Nero!!) and Amanda being killed (GAAAH!!!!!) I found this to be one of the most awesome movies I've seen in a long time. IMO "SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCKKKKK!!!" is the new "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNN!!"

That little creature that Scotty seemed to befriend was cute...whatever it was....

I loved the interactions between the characters. How Bones got his nickname "My ex-wife got the entire planet and all I got was my bare bones.." how Jim Kirk was named after his grandfathers (that was a very sweet scene). Yes Uhura/Spock was a bit weird but they grew on me. And knowing this is an alternate universe (which was repeated considerably) I hope this leads to many many more stories to come. And Leonard Nimoy can be in em since he's helping his people. "You can be two places at once!" *lol*

And if I learned anything from this movie. I learned.. never tell Spock "Yo Mamma"... Meep!!

A shame it wasn't mentioned that it was Geordi LaForge who built Spock's ship, the Jellyfish...or that the Narada (Nero's ship) was built with Borg tech. But at least I know for sure that it was set 9 years after the last movie.. 9 years in which Data became Capt of the Enterprise and Picard the Vulcan Ambassador... course that's a wholy different timeline now.

dierna
# Posted: 8 May 2009 21:33 · Edited by: dierna

If I remember correctly then, Nero (Spock himself?) notes Spock's mission was "Stardate 2377", which would contradict what happens in Nemesis.

The Jellyfish said it was built in the Vulcan shipyards (by Geordi LaForge mind you) Stardate 2387.

Oh! Forgot to mention! I met a bit of a celeb at the movie!! Terry Lee Rioux who wrote DeForrest Kelley's biography a couple years back. She was wearing a way cool Dr. McCoy shirt too. No idea why she was in town since she lives in Texas. But it was cool just the same.

korny
# Posted: 9 May 2009 04:17

So...did anyone else notice Spock quoting Sherlock Holmes?

quincyw
# Posted: 9 May 2009 09:10

Quoting: majin_fett

According to IMDB, he was a Barracks Officer. If that helps.

He was the officer who doles out the assignment and who Kirk asks why he wasn't assigned and got the reply he's on academic probation.

Quoting: dierna
I loved the interactions between the characters. How Bones got his nickname "My ex-wife got the entire planet and all I got was my bare bones.."

I would very dearly have loved to hear him say "And my daughter", which would finally put into canon what we all take for granted. Joanna McCoy was never canon and it would've made a nice gesture.

tey can do whatever the heck they want without getting "continuity" nitpicking crap from fans." (except for Quincy of course ).

I was only nitpicking only because I couldn't figure out the year. But as Dierna noted, it was 2387, a few years after Nemesis. I gave the movie a 30 out of 10 and it was only some very very minor bits that had zero bearing on my opinion.

Quoting: korny
So...did anyone else notice Spock quoting Sherlock Holmes?

The improbable or impossible bit, yes.

babel
# Posted: 9 May 2009 15:00

I always find the true sign that a movie has done the job is when you sit there thinking 'that was never two hours!'. Watching Star Trek I found myself realising that we were close to the denoument, yet it seemed as if I'd barely taken my seat. Simply put: I enjoyed it very, very much.

It is not the greatest movie ever made. It might not even be the best Trek movie - but make no mistake, it's right up there. Yes, you heard me. An old TOS dinosaur like me, who raves on about Wrath of Khan, who cries when City on the Edge of Forever is on TV. This movie is right up there with the best that Trek has to offer.

Right. The plot was ok at best. Unfortunately, we had a scene of exposition that I wish we hadn't had. I always feel like the writer has failed if we need a wedge of exposition stuck in the middle and that's what we got here. I found the plot a touch difficult to get my head round, but so what, in the end it didn't really matter. The plot for First Contact didn't make sense but that movie worked as it was very strong in other areas.

Where this movie scored hugely was in the characterisation. These people were rounded, were three-dimensional, were growing in front of us in a believable way. Kirk and Spock had very different journeys to make and I actually felt as if I had gained a better insight into characters I thought I already knew inside out.

As people reading this thread will know, when Nero and Spock came back in time an alternate reality was created. In this alternate reality Kirk's personal history is very different, yet he is still propelled towards his 'first, best destiny' - the command of a starship. Spock too suffers major events which, intriguingly, seem to be pushing him more towards his human side than he ever was in the series.

Seeing Kirk and Spock in this new light illuminates different facets. We see the tearaway young man Jim Kirk, wasting his brains and talent in bar brawls, bereft of the guidance his father should have provided him with. We see the turmoil of Spock and I have to say, I found Sarek a compassionate, loving father, though done in an extremely Vulcan manner.

The remaining cast were uniformly very good, the standout for me being Bruce Greenwood as Chris Pike - the guiding inspiration for Kirk, the man who dared him to do better. We see clearly how brilliant the crew are - truly, the creme de la creme. Uhura probably got more to do in this one movie than she had in all six 'classic' movies put together, Chekov was a 17 year old prodigy, Sulu as competent as ever, Scotty was the genius we knew he was - and I didn't feel the comedy with him was overplayed - and special mention for Karl Urban as a brilliant Bones.

The action scenes, which were many, were as excellent as you'd expect. I enjoyed the parallel between the young Kirk hanging off the cliff and the present day Kirk hanging from a ledge on the Romulan ship. That was well done. The big sequences were well handled, accompanied by a pulse-pumping score. It was hard not to feel moved when the Enterprise came flying into battle, all guns blazing.

I enjoyed the many nods to the original series, with sound effects, in-jokes and references aplenty. The one moment that froze me in my seat was older Spock meeting Kirk. 'I have been, and always shall be, your friend.' Wow.

If this is what they can do with the movie that sets things up, what can they achieve with the next one (tentatively pencilled in for a 2011 release)? I expect the bar that was set so high by this movie to be exceeded. Congratulations to JJ Abrams for making a movie that will please die hard Trekkies and mainstream cinema audiences alike. This is exactly what 'the Franchise' needed - a kick up the arse, a total refreshment. This movie achieves that while still remaining faithful to Trek's old principles. If I had to think of one example to illustrate this - and it's an example that also belies Kirk's unfounded reputation for being trigger-happy - it is when, late on in the movie, Kirk makes a compassionate offer to his enemy, despite all the terrible things that hthis enemy has done.

You see, whether you want to call it naivety, or blind optimism, or pipe dreams, Trek dared to think that we could learn about ourselves, the world we live in and even our enemies. That we should strive to expand our knowledge, to seek out the best in ourselves and others. That this movie does just that, and sets the scene for further movies, is a real triumph and I am utterly delighted with it.

babel
# Posted: 9 May 2009 15:12

Oh . . and the music for the end credits was a real treat

demonvamp
# Posted: 9 May 2009 18:20

An AU Trek no longer bound by decades of canon? Finally!

polson
# Posted: 10 May 2009 01:39

Jeremy, well said!!!

This movie was the kick in the pants the franchise needed, indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember thinking twenty minutes in, "THIS IS AWESOME. Trek is back!!!!" and I wasn't expecting that reaction until after three or four viewings.

And I confess - I was in tears during the first fifteen minutes...

polson
# Posted: 10 May 2009 01:41

Also - did they actually use Majel's computer voiceovers? I didn't recall hearing any.

majin_fett
# Posted: 10 May 2009 02:56

They did. I remember the computer, and it had her in the credits. Also, I was glad that the movie was dedicated to her and Gene.

daecrist
# Posted: 10 May 2009 03:26

And to anyone worried about continuity problems: go back and watch the original series sometime. They obviously didn't care that much about continuity; so why should we?

dierna
# Posted: 10 May 2009 07:33

Also - did they actually use Majel's computer voiceovers? I didn't recall hearing any.

When Chekov was having problems with the computer understanding his accent and when Kirk woke up in the shuttle and asked the computer where he was. Also I think at the Kobiashi Maru thing...but those are really the only times I remember hearing her voice.

amandasp
# Posted: 10 May 2009 16:11 · Edited by: amandasp

I'm not a TOS fan and I've actually been dreading this movie since the second I heard about it. I mean, didn't Enterprise crash and burn doing this back in the day stuff? Despite all that... my whole family loved it! Not just my mom and I (being the only people in the family that have ever liked Star Trek), but everyone did! My favorite is McCoy! Also a lot of admiration for Captain Pike. I loved that actor since he played the President in National Treasure II. But I love it when McCoy's trying to get Kirk on the Enterprise at the beginning and kepts jabbing him with shots. Ha!

I think the bad guy storyline was a bit weak though. It was just a little too thrown together. But they got what was important right... and that was the characters. You had infamous lines... you had the personalities right. Spock might have been a bit off. And the movie even hinted that this was an alternate history/reality then what we had come to know as TOS. Doing that... they were able to tweak it a bit. If they do, do another movie... I hope they stay away from the alternate reality/travel back in time to stop the Federation (that was the storyline in First Contact, was it not?). I think that's been overused... big screen and small screen.

But overall... the movie was enjoyable and a success in my mind. People who would have never went to see Nemesis are talking about this. Enterprise I believe was the twisted knife in Star Trek, but somehow they've stopped the hemorrhaging.

hmcswjuice
# Posted: 10 May 2009 20:27

Just think time and alternate

freeman
# Posted: 11 May 2009 17:39

I like this film. It's exciting!!!

freeman
# Posted: 11 May 2009 17:44

George Kirk is captain for 12 minutes. Baby James T Kirk can do less than 12 minutes to crawl out of his mother.

. 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.027
Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0