· Outpost 10F · Forums · Reply · Statistics · Search ·
Outpost 10F Forums / Star Trek Discussions / Star Trek XI Discussion (BEWARE SPOILERS)
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
dierna
# Posted: 11 May 2009 20:47

Quoting: freeman
George Kirk is captain for 12 minutes. Baby James T Kirk can do less than 12 minutes to crawl out of his mother.

Not all births last for hours. Sides she was already in the middle of labor before they began evacuating.

majin_fett
# Posted: 12 May 2009 01:19

Besides, this is the future. They have better technology and medicine than we do. Who is to say that a birth wouldn't take less than 12 minutes in the ST universe?

katrina
# Posted: 12 May 2009 03:17

Everything that Mike and Jeremy said, and then some. Wonderful film and I'm glad to have been here to watch it, especially with my fellow Trek fans.

I cried too during the first bit. Alexis then made a horrible joke after the smash and crash. "Say it, say it" he said to the poor woman who'd just lost her husband and the father of her baby. By "it," of course, he meant "he's dead, Jim."

But I'm very excited to see these characters live again after being dusty and decrepit for so long. A lot of people I've seen talk about the movie seem not to understand it at all. They say things like "that's not how it was".. well of course it isn't! It's an alternative reality. So I'm glad to come here and see folks I know who actually watched and understood the movie.

TREK LIVES!

freeman
# Posted: 12 May 2009 22:37 · Edited by: freeman

Inside the tunnel of Narada, Kirk holds a disruptor. Then why Kirk holds phaser after he comes out of the tunnel?

The Vulcan female next to Sarek at the Science Academy. Why is she smiling?

Spock took the turbolift from Engineering to the bridge in less than 5 seconds.

Behind the bridge, there are long corridors.

When Spock & Kirk beam down to Narada. Is Joe Quinto (brother of Zachary) playing a Romulan?

dierna
# Posted: 13 May 2009 02:10

When Spock & Kirk beam down to Narada. Is Joe Quinto (brother of Zachary) playing a Romulan?

Joe Quinto is not an actor.

mezoti
# Posted: 13 May 2009 02:45

Not every movie is perfect, but does it really matter? it was an awesome movie.

babel
# Posted: 13 May 2009 06:06 · Edited by: babel

Oh god, not nit pciking already. Some Trek fan 'reviewed' it on youtube dressed in his Spock shirt and ears going on and on about how the transporter technology was wrong. Big deal.

Sit bac, relaz and enjoy the movie, little things like this *don't matter*

babel
# Posted: 13 May 2009 06:13

Quoting: katrina
But I'm very excited to see these characters live again after being dusty and decrepit for so long. A lot of people I've seen talk about the movie seem not to understand it at all. They say things like "that's not how it was".. well of course it isn't! It's an alternative reality. So I'm glad to come here and see folks I know who actually watched and understood the movie.

What was important waa that they captured the essence of Trek and the characters and for me they did this perfectly. They even threw new light onto characters such as Kirk and Spock. Creating an alternate reality was a masterstroke in my view - it makes this Trek more accessible and gets rid of silly 'canon' debates - also it clears the clutter of accumulated years of story telling away to make a clean slate for writers of sequels to this movie.

Die-hard Trek fans who cannot accept this movie - and there will be some - can rest easy that 'their' Trek is still there, untainted and unchanged. For the rest of us, who are adaptable to change and can see that they got the really important things right in this movie, we can sit back and look forward to future outings for this USS Enterprise.

soka
# Posted: 13 May 2009 13:13

I have to agree with Jeremy - an absolute masterstroke creating the alternate reality. For decades there were a lot of stories where they tried their best not to change the timeline .. well, now it has happened - and not for the worse, at least RL-wise.

Even more of a masterstroke this movie is because it does something I wouldn't have thought possible: It satisfies both the majortiy of old ST-fans, and non-fans, yes even a few ST-haters! I suppose JJ Abrams does not believe there are impossible things either.

The actors of course were brilliant, there were a few moments when I nearly forgot it was Karl Urban and not DeForest Kelly.
And all these little hints at the previous things, they were great. At quite a few I was the only one in the cinema who laughed about them.

Now they just have to get Spock somehow back into his own timeline and there are 2 completely different Trek-Universes.

polson
# Posted: 13 May 2009 19:57

*nods* Alternate reality was brilliant. It's not a reboot or a rewriting of history, it's a totally alternate reality, a new off shoot from a cricital moment in Trek history; Kirk's birth. Nothing that we've come to know and love has been erased, which is awesome, and now we get to see a whole new "What if?" universe of Star Trek. I'm excited for the coming future of Star Trek! While there's still an amount of predictability, the sky is the limit for the franchise now. Plus - it was really awesome to see the "cowboy" space style. "I'm about to die, you're the captain now" kind of mentality. The trek that followed TOS was so structured. They'd never just appoint someone captain, least of all a cadet under review, not while they had a single solitary alterantive option. It was so cool. I loved it.

As for the characters...FANTASTIC. The way Kirk sat in his chair at the end. The way he declared "Bones!" He had Kirk DOWN. It was awesome to see someone out Kirk Shatner. All the characters were just fantastic. And yeah, hats off to Karl Urban especially! (for the record, my favorite part was when Kirk has the massive allergic reaction - I nearly died).

And I think we can all agree - no one made a better Vulcan than Leonard Nimoy. I'm impressed at how well Zach did considering no one in all of Star Trek has been able to equal Nimoy's preformance.

As for the theater - well, you'll have to read the BR to find out my premier night experience...

freeman
# Posted: 14 May 2009 20:15

Quoting: dierna

But Joe performs stunts in Star Trek XI.

freeman
# Posted: 14 May 2009 20:17

Quoting: soka
I have to agree with Jeremy - an absolute masterstroke creating the alternate reality. For decades there were a lot of stories where they tried their best not to change the timeline .. well, now it has happened - and not for the worse, at least RL-wise.

Well then, we have to reboot Outpost10f as well.

majin_fett
# Posted: 14 May 2009 21:11

Quoting: dierna

Does one need to be an actor in order to make a cameo appearance in a movie?

christena
# Posted: 16 May 2009 02:18

Quoting: polson
And I confess - I was in tears during the first fifteen minutes...

I as well Pols... My son was like.. are you crying already??? *L*

quincyw
# Posted: 16 May 2009 09:20

And I cried in the first scene was well. And that was the first time I properly cried.

What, I like my emotions.

freeman
# Posted: 16 May 2009 16:42

It seems the alternate USS Enterprise is 2 times bigger as in the original universe

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009 /05/enterprise-vs-bsg3.jpg

quincyw
# Posted: 17 May 2009 03:24

soka
# Posted: 17 May 2009 09:52 · Edited by: soka

I'm not really convinced the creator of that comparison-chart knew his stuff ... after all he called both the small and the large Enterprise NCC-1701-A

quincyw
# Posted: 17 May 2009 13:28

And here is something I learned by reading the novel.

Movie: (Young) Jim Kirk takes a Corvette out on a joyride, passes a hitchhiker who tries to flag him down for a lift and Kirk spectacularly crashes the thing off a cliff.

Novel: The Corvette belongs to George Kirk, the guy who perishes on the USS Kelvin at the beginning. Winona Kirk has a new husband, who's become his stepfather and living in the Kirk home. It was never quite established in the movie, but Jim has an older brother, George (Samuel) Kirk Junior, who hates the stepfather and leaves, prompting Jim to go on his joyride. George Jr is the hitchhiker that Jim passes in the movie (see above).

freeman
# Posted: 17 May 2009 16:10

I'm not really convinced the creator of that comparison-chart knew his stuff

In http://www.experience-the-enterprise.com/ww/ they say the Enterprise is 2500 feet long. That means twice the size of the original universe of the Enterprise.

babel
# Posted: 17 May 2009 23:29

Oh my god. Size comparison chart. Who cares? Really?

Oh NOES!!!!!!!! *runs around screaming cos the lift is all wrong and the transporter is WAYYYYYY too advanced*

My enjoyment of Trek has been permanently destroyed cos the engines are the wrong shade of magnolia. Curse you Abrams - CURSE YOU!!!!!!!

babel
# Posted: 17 May 2009 23:31 · Edited by: babel

# Posted: 14 May 2009 20:17
Reply Quote

Well then, we have to reboot Outpost10f as well.

Why?

And anyone wanting to reboot me, fine, go for it, a word of warning though, I smell

babel
# Posted: 18 May 2009 18:52

Incidentally, that was me poking fun at the fans out there who are terribly hide bound and up in arms about the movie - though they seem mercifully few in number - and not anyone from OTF.

demonvamp
# Posted: 19 May 2009 13:56

Was that Vinnie out of Home and Away as Kirk's pop? I think my brain went to a funny place. I certainly noticed an Aussie accent slip in.

katrina
# Posted: 19 May 2009 14:58

I'm quite tickled by Jeremy. I wish there was a like button.

soka
# Posted: 19 May 2009 18:09

Another question ... has my mind gone crazy or is that a TMP-uniform Pike wears at the end? Or both? I thought so when I saw it, and thought that even for Mirror-Universe it was a bit early for that.

freeman
# Posted: 19 May 2009 21:08

Captain Robau took the turbolift. The lift goes down to shuttlebay. I thought the shuttlebay of USS Kelvin is the upper part and warpnacelle the lower part.

quincyw
# Posted: 20 May 2009 10:18 · Edited by: quincyw

Quoting: demonvamp
Was that Vinnie out of Home and Away as Kirk's pop? I think my brain went to a funny place. I certainly noticed an Aussie accent slip in.

Yes, it was. They interviewed him on Australian TV the day or two before the movie aired and I felt it spoiled a bit of it. (The scenes of him in command of the Kelvin) I think it was terrific casting how he (as George) and Chris Pine (as Jim Kirk) looked very much alike.

Another question ... has my mind gone crazy or is that a TMP-uniform Pike wears at the end? Or both? I thought so when I saw it, and thought that even for Mirror-Universe it was a bit early for that.

You are quite correct. The styling and color scheme of Pike's uniform (when he's in the wheelchair) is very close to Kirk's uniform from TMP. If I remember correctly, the best place to look at the latter is during the air tram scene in San Fransisco.

adiratyree
# Posted: 20 May 2009 16:15

This movie was great.

I grew up watching re-runs of the original, then I have watched all the incarnations that have followed. This movie is what others have said, true to the characters. Roddenberry would have given it a nod because the HUMAN element once again is the main point of this movie and it resounded loudly.

The movie has elements from the comic book series that are very integral to the story, so it's not based solely on the tv shows and previous movies.

Spock and Uhura are still YOUNG and this is an "alternate universe" so different story lines can happen. (I was not at all disappointed with the relationship of the two, and as others have stated, the elevator scene was fantastically done.) Spock is still growing "emotionally" and I think this is a good story to explore because we don't know everything about him and there is just too much assumed about him. I like this Spock with the emotions that are just boiling under the surface, ready to explode and grab you by the neck...might be why Uhura likes him too...

Yeah, some of it was cheesy and some of it was a tad fiction-y, but damnit Jim, it's a Star Trek movie!

Can't wait to see it again and to own it on Blu-ray.

demonvamp
# Posted: 20 May 2009 21:34

I'm just glad they killed technobabble almost stone dead. After catching five minutes of TNG this evening I realise just how much I hate it.

Action, not words

Well, not those words anyway.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link     :) ;) :P :( :K :D :D ... Disable smileys

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message.

Page loading time (secs): 0.019
Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 215 [30 Aug 2017 14:12]
Guests - 215 / Members - 0